“Brilliant stay!”

Wheatlands Lodge Hotel
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend are both 20 years of age. He booked this hotel for me for my birthday so it was a complete surprise.

The location of this hotel is excellent, only a 10 minute walk from the train station. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk into the town centre which is brilliant.

The gardens on arrival looked stunning at the front . Check in was very fast and the staff were lovely and friendly.

Our room was modern spacious and had a comfortable double bed. We were on the top floor and had a lovely view of the gardens at the front. The bathroom was small but modern and clean. There is also a small table in the room which has a kettle with tea/coffee.

The hotel had a small bar downstairs which is handy and it was packed on a weekend, we never heard any noise from it though.

We has breakfast in the morning in the restaurant which was huge! There was a variety of fruits, cereals and bread which you could help yourselves to. We had the full English breakfast which I can't fault.

The overall value for money is excellent. I did not know what to expect from this 2* hotel but I was very impressed. Definitely will return!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank MissSunshine8394
There are newer reviews for Wheatlands Lodge Hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Visited with a friend for 2 nights. Everything at this hotel is spot on. The room was large, clean and bathroom was fab. It's about a brisk 15 minute walk to the town centre. The service was second to none. Nothing was too much trouble. A special mention for Tanya. Exceptional service. She was friendly and very helpful, giving tips on best places in town to go at night for drinks and cocktails Tanya also arranged late check out the next day. All in all it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

just back from York and a 2 night stay in the Wheat lands hotel after first visiting Scarborough, filey and bridling ton for a few days at each. emailed the hotel to ask if we could access our room earlier due to our arrival time. it was all ready for us when we arrived at lunch which was great. complimentary tea and coffee was offered on our arrival. room was spacious and clean. breakfast very nice with a choice of menu. licensed bar in hotel. lovely garden to the front. ten minutes walk to city center. lovely staff

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracie R
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Very clean and friendly hotel, meals were of a good standard, staff polite and helpful, very good location for York attractions only 10 min walk to town centre. Lovely hotel gardens The hotel has a Laurel & Hardy theme, caters for all ages,

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Wheatlands is a wonderful place for family! The staff were wonderful to us, and esp. our 9 yr old son, Iain. They helped us with electronics, freinds who showed up early and answered all questions. The room was comfortable, the atmosphere great, the pub roomy, the piano/TV room cozy and the front "porch" fantastic. Even with the warm temps-the open windows allowed a cross breeze. This was our third trip to England/Scotland-first to York; and would go back to Wheatlands (andthe city of York) in an instant! We have referred family and friends already!

Room Tip: Great for families/kids!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here on Friday night for DB&B we arrived and were informed that there was no chef so no dinner because of the races going on in York ..... Bit disappointed but Fiona offered us another visit to stay for free..... We wandered into York for dinner then back to the hotel
What a refreshing place to stay lovely friendly people and facilities were good.... No wifi in bedrooms though you have to go downstairs !
Would recommend to all visitors

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking gardens 😃
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed for one night whilst working in York. I had difficulty in locating the car park which is small. There is the possibility of being blocked in but I was able to secure a space where this was unlikely. Lovely welcome and offered complimentary tea. My room was on the ground floor comfortable and very clean. The bathroom with shower was tiny with not a lot of space between the hand basin and shower so breath in. Dinner was four courses with a choice of two dishes. Good home cooked food. The whole atmosphere was so different from the usual type of hotels I stay in whilst working. Most guests are on holiday and are relaxed and chatty in fact I cannot remember having such a happy fun stay at any of my previous hotels this year so far and have stayed in a quite a few. Usually it's sitting in a dining room or bar with iPad along with all the other isolated individuals doing the same who are also working away. The only negative for me was breakfast as it was a little to late at 7.45. When I entered the dining room it was packed and I had to ask for a table. I ended up grabbing an orange and yoghurt as it was obvious my order was not going to be taken in time for me to get to my work venue at the appointed time. Would I stay again yes I would but I would have to request at least tea and toast no later than 7.30. By the rush to the dining room everyone had been awaiting breakfast, so maybe they need to consider breakfast beginning at 7 .15. Both hosts and staff make the hotel a little gem and was amazed it was only 2 stars.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business