“Good location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in York
Glasgow
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay in York very much and found The Alhambra a very good hotel.The location is great for both the Minster and the shopping area although we didn't realise until our final day that we could have reached the Minster much quicker by turning left on leaving the hotel and approaching the Bootham Bar. To reach the shops, turn right on leaving the hotel and then take the short cut through the park.
The hotel was fine.Spotlessly clean and the breakfast was superb. I did feel the bathroom could be updated as the bath, grouting etc looked a little grubby, the bed however was fine. The room was well heated and it was great to come into a warm room after being outside in the cold weather.

Room Tip: I think all rooms would be fine although it did get very hot in the 2nd floor room 16.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

The location of the Alhambra Court Hotel is very convenient, the price was right, and my room was comfortable, clean, and quiet. The hotel is located on a side street close to the center of town, which made me feel fortunate to be staying there. The person who greeted me at reception was welcoming and informative. There was a lift which I could have used if my room had not been on the ground floor.

When I entered the room I saw tea and coffee making facilities and packaged cookies which made me feel at home. Everything was clean and the curtains excluded light well. My room was on the ground floor at the rear of the building overlooking the car park, which meant it was quiet. I could hear the people next door enter their room, and if they had been noisy I think I would have been able to hear them in their room, but they were quiet and I had no problems sleeping. The shower both mornings was good - no problems with hot water or pressure, and the bathroom facilities attached to my room were very clean.

I ate excellent English breakfasts both days in the cellar-level dining room which left me feeling ready for anything. In addition to ordering a full English breakfast from your server, you could help yourself to cereals, toast, yogurt, fruits, and juices. I liked the old-fashioned atmosphere - the decorations in the common areas are Victorian and the general impression is comfort.

I really enjoyed my stay here and if I come back to York, this is my top choice accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for 2 reasons:
1. On-site car parking
2. Central location - 5 minute walk to York Minster.
The only negative is that the hotel is tired in it's decoration.
The positives were:
Our room (7) was large with good clean facilities on the back of the hotel.
Breakfast was ample - cereal, toast and the choice of a 'mix and match' full English along with tea or coffee and fruit juice.
The staff were very accommodating and friendly.

We both agreed that the hotel was very reasonably priced compared to other hotels in York and would both stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed as a couple and our room included 2 bunk beds which meant we had extra space and it is on...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Charlotte H
Whitby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed here for three nights in a family room for my sisters birthday,and could not fault it.Only 10 mins walk from town centre,the hotel was very clean throughout and our room was comfy and spacious.The staff were very friendly.Breakfast was help yourself to cereals,fruits and juices followed by a delicious cooked breakfast with tea or coffee which was enjoyed every morning! Would reccomend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying in York!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 872Jobo
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel is located in a quiet road close to one of the city gates. It is an easy walk to the historic parts of the city and the Minster. It is also a simple walk to the National Rail Museum. The hotel is decorated with an eclectic collection of ornaments that make it an interesting place in which to stay. In the lower ground floor there is a convenient restaurant serving very good food. Handy if it is wet and/or you don't wish to go into the city. There is also the big advantage of a reasonably sized car park behind the hotel. The room was very pleasant and the bed very comfortable but the bathroom was rather pokey. The only downside was the lack of hot water and poor water pressure in the morning (our room was on the top floor). Helpful staff. We would happily stay there again next time we come to York

2 Thank Ksdad
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

stayed here a few times, really good for york, car park at the rear of hotel for parking which is good, also very near to the minster, so ideal for when visiting york to stay as only mins from town center.

Always enjoyed our stay when we have stayed here, breakfast sets you up for the day, hotel may seem a little old fashion in its style and design to some, but as all that you need in an overnight stay, all the rooms we have stayed in have been very spacious, and clean.

would always look to book here for anytime we where wanting a place to stay in york

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mummy2abigail
Darwen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

My partner & I stayed here for 1 night on a weekend break to York.
All the staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfy.
This is a 3 star hotel trapped in a 2 star rating by the tourist board, because they ask you to pre order your dinner, makes sense to me if this saves on wastage and good on them.
It is ideally located, just a 10 min walk to York Minster and the shops.
Our dinner was lovely and well presented, and service spot on, very attentive.
We had a good nights sleep and had our usual drinks in the morning from our brewing faciliies.
Breakfast was help yourself to juices and cereals and a good cooked breakfast served by the staff. All friendly and pleasant.
I would recommend this hotel and we would stay again if we were to stop over in York.

1 Thank Ian S