“Good Location”

Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in York
Derby, United Kingdom
“Good Location”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Very good location for walking into York. Large car park to the rear, No traffic noise. Friendly staff on reception and in the dining room.
Room disappointing especially the en-suite bathroom, needed a thorough clean, smelt damp.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank s m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

A ten minute walk from the railway station, and a similar distance from York Minster made it the perfect location for our visit to the city. The hotel is situated in a cul de sac, so there is no traffic noise. The rooms are spacious, the beds are comfortable. We slept really well.
The staff are welcoming and friendly. The house is huge, decorated in grand style, and because it was a day before Halloween, the breakfast room was decorated with spooky effects.We will definitely stay here again when we return to York.

Room Tip: Both of our rooms were excellent
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Clive S
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Good value for money. Very good location with free parking. Excellent breakfast, staff very friendly. Restaurant food also good. Don't expect top grade rooms but was clean and very quiet.
Could not fault the place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here between 25th Oct and 27th Oct 2013 after being recommended by an online friend as we could not stay at other places we had stayed in York previously. I have to say, what a lovely place this is. The whole building has a nice feel to it. The staff were really nice and nothing was a problem to them. We had breakfast and evening meals there and really enjoyed the food apart from the fried bread which did not have much taste at all.
The only downsides to our stay, and I admit these are minor, are that the mattress on our double bed was very hard. Also, for some reason, which I forgot to ask about was that at night time, there was a wedge placed in the lift door at the ground floor preventing it from closing. If I needed to be down stairs for anything during the night, I would of had to use the stairs as the lift wouldn't of worked.
If I could make one recommendation ( apart from softer matresses ) is to have a stair lift on the small set of stairs down to the bar and dining room. The lift only goes between ground and upper floors, not the lower floors. I suffer from a chronic back problem and struggled with these stairs.
All in all, I would definitely stay here again. Lovely staff, lovely building and great location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay in York very much and found The Alhambra a very good hotel.The location is great for both the Minster and the shopping area although we didn't realise until our final day that we could have reached the Minster much quicker by turning left on leaving the hotel and approaching the Bootham Bar. To reach the shops, turn right on leaving the hotel and then take the short cut through the park.
The hotel was fine.Spotlessly clean and the breakfast was superb. I did feel the bathroom could be updated as the bath, grouting etc looked a little grubby, the bed however was fine. The room was well heated and it was great to come into a warm room after being outside in the cold weather.

Room Tip: I think all rooms would be fine although it did get very hot in the 2nd floor room 16.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The location of the Alhambra Court Hotel is very convenient, the price was right, and my room was comfortable, clean, and quiet. The hotel is located on a side street close to the center of town, which made me feel fortunate to be staying there. The person who greeted me at reception was welcoming and informative. There was a lift which I could have used if my room had not been on the ground floor.

When I entered the room I saw tea and coffee making facilities and packaged cookies which made me feel at home. Everything was clean and the curtains excluded light well. My room was on the ground floor at the rear of the building overlooking the car park, which meant it was quiet. I could hear the people next door enter their room, and if they had been noisy I think I would have been able to hear them in their room, but they were quiet and I had no problems sleeping. The shower both mornings was good - no problems with hot water or pressure, and the bathroom facilities attached to my room were very clean.

I ate excellent English breakfasts both days in the cellar-level dining room which left me feeling ready for anything. In addition to ordering a full English breakfast from your server, you could help yourself to cereals, toast, yogurt, fruits, and juices. I liked the old-fashioned atmosphere - the decorations in the common areas are Victorian and the general impression is comfort.

I really enjoyed my stay here and if I come back to York, this is my top choice accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for 2 reasons:
1. On-site car parking
2. Central location - 5 minute walk to York Minster.
The only negative is that the hotel is tired in it's decoration.
The positives were:
Our room (7) was large with good clean facilities on the back of the hotel.
Breakfast was ample - cereal, toast and the choice of a 'mix and match' full English along with tea or coffee and fruit juice.
The staff were very accommodating and friendly.

We both agreed that the hotel was very reasonably priced compared to other hotels in York and would both stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed as a couple and our room included 2 bunk beds which meant we had extra space and it is on...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple