“Beautiful hotel, excellent location”

The Churchill Hotel
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed in this hotel with a lot of family for my cousins wedding near by.
We were able to check in early to get ready, friendly reception staff showed us to our room (124) which was very nice, small & clean with a skylight, no window (I did wonder about emergency exits) very comfortable stay, excellent shower.

Very good range of breakfast the following morning however there was not enough kitchen staff to cope with the amount of guests staying, we waited 45mins after ordering for our cooked breakfast & when my brioche arrived it was burnt on one side & un toasted on the other, therefore sent it back.
A lot of guests thought the hotel was too warm & asked for air con to be put on.
Overall very nice stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wardyMk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,160)

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Have just spent 2 nights at the Churchill which was first class, the room was spacious and very clean with good TV and tea making facilities, good size bathroom with bath and shower, comfortable bed. The Restaurant had an excellent menu and dinner was 5 star, a Piano Bar with pleasant background music, Breakfast from Buffet to full Menu, plenty of choice with friendly service from all the staff . For smokers a fun room outside in the car park. In all a very pleasant stay and would certainly visit again, location just perfect. The Grandeur of the main staircase with all the portraits is stunning.

Room Tip: The old part of the Hotel is beautiful with 4 poster beds in rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel is great value for money. The room we stayed in was very large, comfortable, clean and decorated with quirky little caricatures of Winston Churchill. The hotel is a pleasant 5 minute walk from the city walls, and has a large free car park if you're bringing a car. The service wasn't great (the reception never seem to answer the phone), but we had a really pleasant stay and would definitely come again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally E
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The evening meal was very good and the friendly service helps create a relaxed atmosphere. We have stayed several times over the years and always enjoyed the Churchill hotel. It's location is excellent only a short walk into town and the free car park is a real bonus they kindly let us leave the car there for a while after we had checked out. On this occasion one of the owners was playing the piano (very well I might add) during dinner. We had a large room in the original building with a large bathroom but earlier in June also this year we had a smaller room also in the original building. Both rooms were very clean and comfortable and would happily stay in either of them again. The towels were very thick and fabulous and they have adopted a very green approach which undoubtedly extends the life and quality of the towels. They keep the second bath and hand towel in a plastic cover in the wardrobe so if you don't use them they obviously know and don't launder them unnecessarily. Similar idea to the extra pillow often found in the wardrobe a great idea. I hope other hotels hear about this as I am tired of reading about them helping to save the planet by not changing the towels on the rails and then finding the house keeper changed them anyway!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 623DavidA623
Reviewed 2 October 2013

First, the positives ! Good first impressions,obliging helpful staff ,delicious dinner and breakfast ,excellent position for an easy walk into the city with no worries about city parking.
Now for the negatives:
Room 102 was small, shabby and in need of a good clean.
Standard 4`6" double bed [went straight down to ask for at least a king size [5`] to be told by "Dave" that the hotel does not have any! Clear from website that this is not true]
Amazed only one hand towel and one bath towel for two people.Putting a second towel in wardrobe is ridiculous! A second hand towel arrived on request.
No rubber slip mat in bath.
No grab rail in bath.
No toilet brush.
[These are Health and Safety issues]
Poor water pressure.
Window wouldn't stay open to clear condensation.
Most of these points have been made by other reviewers so why doesn't manager read and act upon them!!

Room Tip: Ask what size beds are available
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grannyviv42
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I've stayed here twice now, both times in luxury rooms and I'm afraid they are currently trading on past glories. Reception was friendly, but the ignored phone was appalling, when I suggested the receptionist should answer it his reply was "they'll ring back", if I had been the one calling I wouldn't have!
Staff as friendly as ever and location for the city great, BUT, the room was tired and let down by silly items, and frankly below par house keeping.
It needs a spruce up, stained carpet outside our room, dirty linen left there for a night, cup marks on furniture and marks around light switches.
Would I go again? yes, but I'd only pay that sort of money again if there is more attention to detail.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Francis_Frogbound
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed here one night via a Red Letters Day booking as a special treat . We ended up in room 123 which has no window, only a large skylight. The room appeared to be made up for one person staying only, not two. Eg only one bed had a bedspread on, the other had a thin duvet only. The bed with the bedspread also had a double duvet squashed into a single duvet bag which made it hot and uncomfortable. There was only one hand towel. (i could go on). I explained that this was for a special occasion and asked if they had an alternative room. Despite telling me as we arrived that they were not very busy that night, they could not find us an alternative.

We ate in the hotel in the piano bar ( which has a grand piano which appears to play on its own). I ordered the market fish of the day which somehow arrived as confit of lamb. Because we were hungry and getting them to make what I had ordered would have delayed both of us, I decided just to eat it. However the lamb was so overcooked and dry, it could have been anything as it was inedible.

I did say that it was very poor and not what I had ordered when they asked if "everything was ok." They offered us free puddings which we accepted for one of us, and for a free glass of wine instead for the other of us. However when I came to pay, they tried to charge for the price of the more expensive lamb rather than the fish I had ordered - the difference would have paid for more than the free wine!

I assume we were very unlucky, reading many other reviews - but be warned - don't accept room £123 - especially not when you have paid £150 for the privilege!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family