“nice hotel”

Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in York
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

we stayed here for 2 nights for my wife birthday, booked by telephone OK but learned later if you book on line you can get offers which we were not told on the phone, like free parking instead of £10 a day we asked at reception but the gentleman just walked off while saying it only applies to on-line bookings,another thing i personally did not like was that you have to pay for your stay as soon as you get there and not upon leaving, so any extras had to be paid for straight away really odd, the hotel its self was OK nice clean room, noisy at night old sash windows banged in the wind, good breakfast, staff mostly friendly( apart from man on the desk), ate at the hotel Sunday night in the piano room very nice meal plenty of food at a sensible price, bread selection, starter x2 mains x2 no room for pudding, drinks just over 50 quid, in a very nice atmosphere, bar prices also good, ideal location for York just a 5 min walk, from city wall and attractions,all in all a good hotel with plenty of history and yes i would stay here again but look for the on-line offers first

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Thai first
Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed here a couple of days ago & for one of the higher end hotels in York, I was very disappointed. On my first night I was put in a room next to the hotel's heating system which kept me awake all night, the pillows were so uncomfortable I ended up using the cushion as a pillow and the hole in the quilt cover did not bode well for my first night.

The next morning I complained to the night porter and asked to be moved rooms, which they did. My second room was a lot quieter. On my checkout day I complained about my issues and was offered a complimentary breakfast, I would have preferred a room rate reduction but as I had paid upfront it could not be changed, which I wasn't too happy about. I was then offered a complimentary breakfast for which I accepted. However, as I picked up my bread to toast, I found mould on the bread ! So I ended up having a glass of apple juice as it put me off eating anything at all.

Next time I'll stick with what I know, a Premier Inn, a lot cheaper and a lot more comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Clio, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Very attractive hotel very close to York Cathedral and city center. The restaurant is particularly lovely, especially the large, curved bay.
Because this is a historic building, it has some quirks--especially the various levels. To reach our room, even utilizing the elevator, we went both up and down some stairs. This added to the charm!
Next time we want to stay longer!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Hotel is in a good spot for sightseeing and free parking a real bonus, though watch those gates on the way in and out!. I booked this as part of my partners birthday present. We spent Friday 21st and the subsequent Saturday. We had a room in the new block, which despite not having any windows was very pleasant. There was a sky light. The room was warm overnight and we used the air con unit even in Feb. All staff we encountered were very helpful and pleasant. We didn't eat in the hotel for dinner but we did have breakfast which was fine. A couple of big tables were in both mornings but on both occasions the waitress managed our expectations well with regard to any delays. Would totally recommend the hotel for anyone looking for a good location for a city break stay.

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

This charming historic hotel is a great choice when your visiting York. Easy walk from the train station and to the central part of the city. Our room was on the top floor, no windows but a large skylight, the room was modern and clean and a pretty good size for the UK. Breakfast was included in our stay and was good. No wi-fi but you can get computer access in the lobby.

Didn't use the cigar bunker but what a cool feature to have. Would have to stay longer but would not hesitate to book again at The Churchill and I am very happy to recommended it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were given a Red Letter break at the Churchill Hotel as a Christmas present. We visit York on a regular basis and knew where the Churchill was and we were excited about a luxury break. The hotel is a fine building situated a short walk from the city centre and minster.
Having had a reasonable experience booking our date (this can sometimes be frustrating with red letter deals) we arrived early to park the car and go exploring. We checked with reception and this was ok. We arrived back at the hotel to book in properly and get changed for dinner. The staff had changed ! We were shown to our room by a frosty receptionist. The room was really only for one and that would be a squeeze. It had a double bed a table a tv that could only be viewed if you stood in the shower. There was only one bath towel and two coffee sachets, when we complained to miss frosty she said she would put it right, along with the lamp that didnt work but she never did. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful and the staff were wonderful but thankfully miss frosty was missing.

Room Tip: If there is more than one of you check the room!