“Best Hotel we have stayed in in York!”

The Churchill Hotel
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This hotel is only rated as three star - I have been in worse 5 stars!!
Everything was good, with one small exception, which I will cover at the end of the review.
Staff - super friendly and helpful. It is no good trying to single one out - they were ALL good!
Bedroom - clean, tidy and with a newly refurbished bathroom (room 114). All the facilities you could want, including biscuits and drinking chocolate (I am easily pleased!!)
Bar - really nice Polish lady - very helpful, prices of alcohol not bad for a Hotel.
Breakfast - all you could need, and well cooked / presented. Waitress a STAR!!

Small grouse - parking was 10 pounds, but the car could only remain in the car park until 12:00 - this made life difficult for us, as we were going to go shopping and pick up the car later on!

Room Tip: Very quiet where we were, with little noise overnight - room 114
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger H

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Small hotel in quiet location but close to City centre and local amenities. Bedrooms spacious, comfortable and well appointed with modern en suite. Breakfasts and dinner were very good and staff friendly and helpful. Parking can be a bit tight when hotel is busy. The city of York is surely one of the most beautiful in England with its magnificent Minster and character shops and pubs.

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior room - excellent
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Just got back from an internet break for 2 days The Hotel was 1st Class in every way , from the substantial and varied breakfast to the delicious evening meal (the triple cooked chips were yummy!!) The Staff were helpful and friendly Especially the ln the breakfast room Nothing was a problem to her She was a local lady We will return!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

we stayed here for 2 nights for my wife birthday, booked by telephone OK but learned later if you book on line you can get offers which we were not told on the phone, like free parking instead of £10 a day we asked at reception but the gentleman just walked off while saying it only applies to on-line bookings,another thing i personally did not like was that you have to pay for your stay as soon as you get there and not upon leaving, so any extras had to be paid for straight away really odd, the hotel its self was OK nice clean room, noisy at night old sash windows banged in the wind, good breakfast, staff mostly friendly( apart from man on the desk), ate at the hotel Sunday night in the piano room very nice meal plenty of food at a sensible price, bread selection, starter x2 mains x2 no room for pudding, drinks just over 50 quid, in a very nice atmosphere, bar prices also good, ideal location for York just a 5 min walk, from city wall and attractions,all in all a good hotel with plenty of history and yes i would stay here again but look for the on-line offers first

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed here a couple of days ago & for one of the higher end hotels in York, I was very disappointed. On my first night I was put in a room next to the hotel's heating system which kept me awake all night, the pillows were so uncomfortable I ended up using the cushion as a pillow and the hole in the quilt cover did not bode well for my first night.

The next morning I complained to the night porter and asked to be moved rooms, which they did. My second room was a lot quieter. On my checkout day I complained about my issues and was offered a complimentary breakfast, I would have preferred a room rate reduction but as I had paid upfront it could not be changed, which I wasn't too happy about. I was then offered a complimentary breakfast for which I accepted. However, as I picked up my bread to toast, I found mould on the bread ! So I ended up having a glass of apple juice as it put me off eating anything at all.

Next time I'll stick with what I know, a Premier Inn, a lot cheaper and a lot more comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Very attractive hotel very close to York Cathedral and city center. The restaurant is particularly lovely, especially the large, curved bay.
Because this is a historic building, it has some quirks--especially the various levels. To reach our room, even utilizing the elevator, we went both up and down some stairs. This added to the charm!
Next time we want to stay longer!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Hotel is in a good spot for sightseeing and free parking a real bonus, though watch those gates on the way in and out!. I booked this as part of my partners birthday present. We spent Friday 21st and the subsequent Saturday. We had a room in the new block, which despite not having any windows was very pleasant. There was a sky light. The room was warm overnight and we used the air con unit even in Feb. All staff we encountered were very helpful and pleasant. We didn't eat in the hotel for dinner but we did have breakfast which was fine. A couple of big tables were in both mornings but on both occasions the waitress managed our expectations well with regard to any delays. Would totally recommend the hotel for anyone looking for a good location for a city break stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple