“Perfect independent hotel in a perfect location”

The Churchill Hotel
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

A great stay for our family. A fantastic spot, a hotel full of character, excellent staff (who made us feel very welcome), a wonderful hotel bar. Great location for the city centre and the Minster. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,035)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed at the Churchill for a one night getaway to York and was very impressed with the entire experience. We opted for a Luxury room, which was lovely. Four posted bed, roll top bath, rain shower.. and yummy chocs on the bed on arrival! Having read up a bit on here about the different rooms on offer, I decided to email the hotel to request a room I had seen on their website, which they were able to accommodate for me. I also used the free parking code advertised on their website, so did not have any problems with that.

The best part of the whole experience was dinner in the piano restaurant. Lovely atmosphere, great service and really fantastic food for a very reasonable price. The chef there is very talented - the food was well seasoned, and the flavour combinations well thought out. The Rhubarb pudding was superb!

If I had one niggle it would be the lack of hair dryer in my room, which wasn't too disastrous as we were leaving that morning. But if I had of had a shower the previous evening before dinner I might have been a bit more annoyed!

Room Tip: Go for a luxury room. The Admiralty was lovely. Quiet, spacious, clean and a big comfy bed!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
JohnDWallace, General Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Hi Becky,

Many thanks for your lovely review.

Every room should have a hairdryer in it, I believe it should be in the desk drawer in Admiralty and we will double check shortly.

John Wallace

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I spent Good Friday and Easter Saturday at The Churchill Hotel in York with my girlfriend. We could not fault the hotel or staff in any way - the hotel is beautiful and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in The Admiralty Suite which has a wonderful large bath tub in the bedroom and a lovely big four poster bed - well worth the extra cost. The Hotel is a 5 minute walk to the Minster and city centre. I have been to York a number of times but it was a first visit for my girlfriend and she loved it. We also had dinner at the hotel and the food was perfect. We will definitely be returning to The Churchill

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks Kevin for the great review.

When you do return make sure you either give us a call or look on our website/facebook page for offer codes and we'll make sure you've got the best deal available.

John
The Churchill

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We visited this hotel to celebrate Mothers Day. It was a last minute decision & when booked we were pleased with our choice. On arrival our initial impression was very good. We waited several minutes at reception and were beginning to feel invisible, being ignored by a couple of passing waiting staff. Whilst I imagine it isn't their job to attend reception, a smile or a quick word to let us know someone would be coming would have been nice. A young lady finally arrived, checked us in and showed us to our rooms. The room was a side room overlooking the car park, (N0 117) it was warm & clean with a spacious bathroom, with bath. We dropped off our bags and went into York for an evening meal. Its in a good location for walking into York approx. 5-10 mins. It was when we returned to our rooms that we discovered the problems, we had twin beds and mine was terrible! the most uncomfortable bed I have ever tried to sleep on, as well as being lumpy the covers were torn and the pillows were the thinnest ever. I would have complained the next morning but couldn't find any staff. In the evening we popped into the piano bar for a quiet nightcap but unfortunately for the duration of our drink the dishwasher clattered away completely drowning out the piano & the staff were quite unprofessional. I think the staff would benefit from some customer service training. Its a pity because the actual building is lovely.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank yorkshirelass86
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have just had a few days staying at The Churchill Hotel in York, the place is very clean & the rooms are spaceous. The Bar & Restaurent is tastefull & the staff are wonderful & welcoming. Nothing is too much to help out. Onlky thing I would have liked (but did not ask for) is a bath mat for the bath as we used the shower & find the bath quite slippy with a over head shower so a bath mat would have made me feel a lot safer whilst having a shower. The walls are very thin as you can hear people coming & going & talking but only if you are a light sleeper like me, But please do not look on this a a negative, it is a lovely place with love staff & the food is very good value for money,

Room Tip: We asked for a room with an ensuite bath in as I perfer baths, our room was lovely & we had a ni...
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Recently booked short notice to stay here for 2 nights. We stayed in the Marlborough suite.

Very close and ideal for walking to and from the city centre. This was booked because of parking advertised but was frustrated to see a £10 charge per night.

The suite was of a good size with a lovely bathroom. The mattress wasn't of a high quality in respect to the rest of the room.

I would stay in the churhill hotel suite again if visiting York.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie P
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Room 109 at The Churchill left a bad taste in my mouth quite literally! After spending 2 nights in a lovely hotel suite in Harrogate we wanted 1 night in York to complete our 1st wedding anniversary celebrations. On arrival we were told parking would be another £10, so £80 in total for Room only (I've since learnt that Facebook & trip advisor have a voucher code). We were allocated an Executive Double though Room 109 was a poor example of a double, the size of a store room next to the broom cupboard & reception more like. Although clean & contemporary there wasn't much work surface for toiletries etc, good job I didn't bother unpacking. On our return late evening we enjoyed a drink in the bar which was nice & friendly, with pianist music to create atmosphere, but it was settling down to sleep that caused the issue. The room was noisy, created by a lowered ceiling which housed a large air conditioning vent, even the TV volume didn't help. By this time my throat as feeling dry from the large amount of air con in such a small space. My husband noticed large extraction vents on the external wall where the extension met the old building. After not settling, I found someone at midnight in the restaurant who said they could isolate the air vent for our room?. There was no offer of a room swap, so I asked for water to drink & back I went, although we slept our stay was short, we were awake early due to noise & the location of our room. By this time we just wanted to leave, so quickly showered in the cold room as the air con was also the heating system they had turned off! we left at 9am, when asked about our stay we explained, received an apology from the man behind the desk, but nothing else. Nice hotel & in close proximity to York centre, but unfortunately we didn't get a nice room.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple