“Position Position Position”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
Newcastle, Australia
“Position Position Position”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Churchill was one of the best hotels we used in our Backroads Tour of the UK. It is situated just a pleasant stroll from the city centre - York Minster. Once I found out how to open the window (a strange configuration) and could let in some air, the room was reasonably comfortable.
One of the best features of the hotel is the restaurant - superb quality food, skilfully prepared using fresh ingredients. I ate there on both nights, although there are plenty of dining options nearby. Unfortunately I understand that they're about to change the format from fine dining to something akin to a bistro.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank StayalotNewcastle
JohnDWallace, General Manager at The Churchill Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and meals with us.

I can allay your fears about our plans for the restaurant to an extent. We are changing the menu away from fine dining, modern european cuisine to a fine dining take on traditional Yorkshire and English dishes. The chefs, service and our committment to quality are staying the same but rather than serving brilliant food but of the sort that is available in every european city we have decided to embrace the heritage of our building and York and apply the same philosophy to local dishes hopefully resulting in a more memorable and appropriate experience for tourists to our city.

We hope to see you again soon and let you try the new menu (starting next week) for yourself.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I took my partner away for a few days to York. Being hoteliers ourselves we are very cautious at times where we stay. But the churchill was just sublime. The decor the food. As previous people have mentioned the busy road, don't let it put you off as you hear nothing. The waiter at breakfast and dinner in the evening was very attentive. 1st class service for a 1st class hotel. My only moan would be we ordered a paper for both morning with reception and that was not delivered. But as we was eagerly awaiting to see york. This miner detail is excusable.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liamnashir
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed two nights at The Churchill Hotel at the end of May for our Wedding and we could not have asked for a more perfect day.
The Prince of Wales Suite was beautiful and a great size for the girls to all get ready in. Fantastic bay window and free standing bath, it was stunning.
The staff were very friendly and accommodating and there in a shot if we required anything throughout our stay.
The food was amazing and the portions were fantastic. I have been to weddings before where the portion size is quite small, not at The Churchill, it was amazing.
We are looking to book the hotel again for our anniversary and will definitely be booking dinner there again.
Everyone we know who attended the wedding said it was the best wedding they have been to and I am pretty sure this was down to the relaxed feel of the venue.
Thank you al so much, you have given us memories we will treasure forever.
Debbie

Room Tip: * Any room is fab at The Churchill, however the Superior rooms and Prince of Wales Suite have a very...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
North Berwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We arrived at the hotel and advised that we were given an upgrade which we were delighted at! However, when we arrived in the room we noticed a smell which was disconcerting and opened the windows. We went out for dinner in wonderful York, came back to the hotel and had a nice drink in the bar and retired to our room. On getting into the room it was obvious the smell was still there and we then called the manager. After 10 minutes plus he arrived frantically spraying the corridor claiming there was not an issue and offering to spray the room. When I refused I asked for another room and we waited. After 10-15 mins I called reception and they said they had been calling me and come thing must be wrong with the phone as It did not ring. I went down and they offered another room which was tiny in comparison and I refused and had to balance between the smell or a tiny room which was not big enough to swing a cat in to coin a phrase. I asked why the landing window was open fully and the fact he had sprayed the corridor and he as not able to give me a satisfactory answer. To be fair he said no one else complained and I made it clear that was not the point and that I should be helped with either a better room or a substantial discount. He said he was not authorised to give this and I respect that whilst not happy. For the price I would not recommend this hotel and certainly I believe that the smell had something to do with air conditioning or something similar but the smell was obvious.
I stay in hotels every week and would certainly say that on the second floor people should avoid this until they have fixed the problem. In addition if you book the basic room I would highly recommend to see it first before you book in.
I would say that the service in solving the issue was unsatisfactory for this independent hotel and would warn other customers to be aware for value for money.

Won't be back!!!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel !!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The building is beautiful and close to all York's attractions, but that's all.
Our room was small, uncomfortable and dark. After taking a hot shower the whole room became foggy and the window couldn't be opened. The restroom is modern and updated, but there is no place to accommodate your things and the shower is really uncomfortable. Breakfast was OK (had a much better breakfast two blocks away in a local cafe for a lower price), and service was good.
I am sure there must be much better options in York for a the same or even lower price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just wanted to say a massive thank you for a fab day on the 31/05/2014! We booked our wedding 2 years ago with John who made our wedding seamless! We booked 12 rooms in advance, every room was immaculately presented and every family/friend enjoyed their stay! We were looked after and felt that every member of staff made our wedding day even more special, food was 5 star, accommodation 5 star, atmosphere 5 star, drink 5 star and staff 10 stars...... thank you to the church hill team you were great :) Neil and Debbie McGroarty

Room Tip: My tip is simply Book a room as all are fantastic and suites are to die for and you will enjoy the h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nellymcg
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Pricey but good.....The Churchill in York, England.
In the first instance I would like to compliment the wonderful staff at The Churchill, nothing was too much trouble...apart from one thing, later.
The public rooms, bar, entrance, restaurant make you feel cosited and are all charming. The bedroom, a twin that was a family room was big enough for two single adults, maybe not for parents with children. The furnishing were good and the bathroom and shower worked a treat.
I used the bar...£6.50 for a glass of rather ordinary Merlot was too much,IMHO. I used the restaurant twice...reasonable upmarket quality but once again overpriced....it was ok but not that good....two courses and a glass of wine about £30 a head......!!!!
Now we come to 'later'......if there is one thing a decent English hotel should get absolutely correct it has to be the breakfast...there was the 'English' which i had...twice. Bacon, sausage etc etc....but NO baked beans...'Oh sorry' said the waitress ' The chef refuses to do baked beans....after all this is a Yorkshire breakfast...' I remonstrated in vain, the waitress admitted that a lot of customers ask for baked beans ( including another table when I was there ) but the chef won't be moved.....I suggest that the chef starts to listen to his customers, ie those who pay the bills and pu baked beans on the menu....pronto !! Oh, and the toaster was useless, most customers gave up, witnessed bu the pile of half toasted bread in evidence....would I go back....not until the beans issue and toaster are sorted out !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business