“ticks every box”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
blackpool
“ticks every box”
Reviewed 14 June 2009

everything you would want from a hotel. impressive building. great location. clean. comfortable. excellent restaurant. very helpful friendly staff especially dave on the reception. no hesitation in recomending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Thai first
scotland
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Stopped on chance as had arrived at York not having booked anywhere. Was shown the room before we checked in and couldn't have got better service. Breakfast was excellent and the early bird supper excellent value.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 10 June 2009

I stayed in room 108 (the Clementine suite) for one night. The room had high ceilings, a comfortable four poster bed, a sofa, a desk with chair, other small furniture, a large flat screen TV, warm colours in the walls and furniture, tea and coffee facilities... It was lovely – boutique style.

108 was a very quiet. if I travel to York again, I will definitely go back to the Churchill and ask for the same room.

Other guests told me that each room is individual, with different decoration and colours. I understand that the hotel has smaller rooms as well which are cheaper. I have not seen these rooms, but from the description I got it seemed that they were much smaller and did not have the above furniture. Try to go to the larger rooms if you can afford them, they are worth it!

I will rate this hotel with the highest rating, despite the fact that I was not impressed with their breakfast. I think the Churchill is a three star, in which case it is at the very top of its range.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Reviewed 3 June 2009

The Churchill is a elegant and welcoming hotel, their staff are extremely polite and helpfull, the stylish surroundings add to the charm and warmth of the hotel.We stayed in room 105 which was outstanding with the four poster bed, beautifull decor and not forgetting the free standing bath for two !! The room service was speedy and perfect and we can highly recommend the smoked salmon and crayfish ciabatta not to mention the wide selection of food that was available for breakfast. Needless to say we are returning in June for a repeat performance.

Dunstable, England
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We booked this hotel for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary and just after we made our booking I checked on Trip Advisor and found a very bad review had appeared and I was so worried that I emailed the hotel. The hotel telephoned me the next day to reassure me about my visit which I thought was very good customer service. I was still apprehensive but on arrival I was very relieved. We arrived a bit early and we had a bottle of complementary wine (book direct with the hotel to qualify) in the garden whilst we waited. Our room was lovely, we booked a superior room which had a Minster View, four poster bed and bath in the room with a huge plasma tv with sky channels. The bathroom was very well appointed and the room was so clean it was unbelievable, even the tissue box had been dusted the next day ! The staff were very friendly but not obstrusive. The cooked breakfast was superb. The weather was fabulous for our stay and I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Oldbury, West Midlands
Reviewed 28 May 2009

The hotel is located 3 mins walk from the city walls and 5 mins from the Minster. We booked an Executive Double bedroom, which although modern and tastefully decorated, was really very small . The hotel itself was very grand and the staff helpful and informative. We had a B&B deal and breafast was very good with waitress service. The hotel has its own free car park which is always going to be an attraction. Overall, very impressed and would consider staying again.

Manchester
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Great hotel, from checking in and using the free onsite parking to the room, big, bright comfy and clean to the huge bathroom all was great. The pictures of the rooms on here and the website are very accurate and the free internet in reception and the rooms was great. TV was not sky or freeview which is biggest negative but you dont go away to watch tv and important footie games are always at the pub. The bed seemed to slope slightly at the side but other than this it was great. Will stay there again without doubt as hope to revisit York soon, prob wont even look around just book it. I researched every hotel in york and think i found a gem. Shame the hotels in Alnwick and Edinburgh weren't as good and cost more!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple