“Jorvik Hotel and staff”

Ranked #42 of 47 Hotels in York
Filey, United Kingdom
“Jorvik Hotel and staff”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My beautiful wife Brenda booked this hotel as a surprise for my birthday.
On arrival a very smart young man called James welcomed us and booked us in efficiently and then escorted us to our room. The room was overlooking Castle Gardens and had everything that was needed apart from the bathroom door that managed to lock Brenda therein! Waiting in the room on arrival was a bottle of wine (free gratis) and more soap than you could shake a stick at!
The following morning at breakfast (£4.50 pp extra) but well worth it, we were welcomed by the Manager, Rorie (Yes I know, stupid spelling!) He had a look about him of Sam Byron a Leeds UTC player, plus he was very professional and courteous to us and everyone else.
I can highly recommend this Hotel. The location in York is fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a front view of the gardens and the lovely church
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jorvikhotel, General Manager at Jorvik Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Good Morning

I am pleased to hear that you and Brenda enjoyed your stay here with us. We look forward to welcoming you both back in the future!!

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed here on a midweek night and room was lovely, my only quibble was the cobwebs in the shower and the fact we booked online at set arrival at 12 and when we turned up we were told room wasn't ready and official check in is 2pm!!. The Jorvik Hotel is in a perfect location to all the major attractions and the staff are very friendly. Breakfast lovely to! We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jorvikhotel, General Manager at Jorvik Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review.

We do have a check in time of 2pm but we do try and have rooms available earlier when requested.

We hopefully can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed here and have been more than satisfied on both occasions.
I stayed with my wife this time. I had requested champaign and roses in the room which were provided to a great standard. The room itself was nice and tidy, a small bit of rubbish on the floor but nothing to get upset about.
I asked for so a room with a jacuzzi bath which was provided, though the jets weren't very good on this particular one. We were probably just doing something wrong, haha!
Location is spot on being on the entrance to the museum gardens. Straight from there and you're into the city centre.
Staff are friendly and attentive, hotel is just great for a stay in York. Excellent price for what we had.
Many thanks and I imagine we will be one day staying again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here with us. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the near future.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This hotel was in an excellent location close to the train station, York Minister, Railway museum and all major attractions in York. Reception very nice, bar area nice and breakfast area nice. Gardens looked lovely but due to weather we didn't sit in them. Our room was on the bottom floor. Room fairly small compared to the pictures I had looked at (we had a twin room) but with two beds, wardrobe, drawers, tv and tea/coffee the room had all we needed for a two day stay. However the room was VERY dusty. Even the remote control had dust on it. The walls were even dusty. In the bathroom the toiletries smelled lovely lol. The shower is AMAZING and although I never had a bath my friend did and loved the Jacuzzi bath with mood lighting. The bath however is pretty small. A 6ft there was no way you could lie comfortably in it. Either feet out or knees up :-D

Breakfast was fine - scrambled eggs a tad watery and therefore was unable to eat the toast it was on. But poached eggs and fried eggs were fine, good tea and cereal selection. Personal preference is I would have liked yoghurt but that's personal.

Had little interaction with the staff so cant really comment although they seemed happy enough.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jamrocks123
Good Morning

Thank you for your review and i am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel and beautiful location. The room was very nice and clean. And the jacuzzi was a surprise. The breakfast was good with a great selection of cereals and a cooked breakfast too. The staff we're so friendly and welcoming. Will recommend to friends and family.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TonyMaud
Jorvikhotel, General Manager at Jorvik Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Beautiful room, fantastic bathroom, even a patio. Very helpful and courteous staff. Well worth every penny. Will definitely use this hotel again and highly recommend it. Really enjoyable stay and looking forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank coby-Jay
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at the Jorvik Hotel York at the weekend I booked a superior room.and asked for wine on arrival in the room. I did not get the wine and the room was certainly not superior, it was very small and in the attic three floors up three flights and no lift. Although the hotel is in a good location it was shabby and needs a lick of paint. The breakfast came with an hair, other guess sent their breakfast back too. I would never stay at this hotel ( more like bed and breakfast) again Definitely NOT worth the money my advise is go elsewhere ..Very disappointed spoilt our weekend in beautiful York

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
2 Thank GED5544
Good Morning

Thank you for your review. If I can address each of your points in turn.

As a hotel we do not advertise Superior rooms as all of our rooms are the same with either king size double or twin beds, flat screens tv and all ensuite with either a five point power shower or power shower and jacuzzi bath. We do not advertise having a lift here as we are a listed building and are not permitted to have one unfortunately.
You were resident in one of our larger rooms which has a lovely view over the museum gardens.

I have had a look at your reservation that was made on line and there are no special requests on there. It just confirms that you reserved our executive package which includes bathrobes, slippers, fruit and mineral water.

I am sorry that you felt the breakfast was less than satisfactory. I have spoken to the duty manager on that day and there is only one record of breakfast being sent back on that day due to a change of preference in eggs. I am not sure where the hair could be from as both our chef and duty manager have none but I will certainly look into this for you.

If you wish to discuss any for the points raised further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these York hotels