“Great B&B in fantastic location”
Review of Mowbray House

Mowbray House
Ranked #85 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We heavily rely on Tripadvisor when choosing accommodation. With very few reviews and none very recently, we were wary of staying here at first. However, we decided to take the plunge and we were not disappointed. We love staying at B&Bs and have stayed in different places across the various grading categories. This is a very good 3 star B&B – probably at the top end of the 3 star range. The bedroom and bathroom were spotless. The breakfast was very good and generous (especially for a 3 star place). The hosts were very friendly and welcoming and provided a lot of useful information as soon as we arrived. Conveniently located 10mins walk from the Minster.

I can see that there may be an issue with the sound proofing of rooms. But everyone was courteous and it wasn’t a problem for us. We enjoyed staying here and really recommend it.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vanandalan

Reviewed 8 June 2010

We travelled from Ireland to York at the Whit weekend and stayed once again at this fantastic Bed & Breakfast. Carol & Phil are just amazing, they made us feel so welcome. The room was great and the breakfast was better than any 5 star hotel.The B & B is ideally situated for anybody visiting York, only 10 minutes to town. I have recommended this B & B to several of my friends should they visit York. I am really looking forward to a return visit as as I can.....

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marsireland
Reviewed 12 October 2009

There is nothing I can say that can express just how wonderfull this Guest house is. The owners were so friendly and cheerfull, the rooms were perfect, and the breakfast was out of this world. We were so pleased that at check out time we booked in again for next year.
The bed was comfortable and soft, the amenities were spot on. I urge everyone who visits York to stay at this Guest House, Carol was a wonderful, smiling hostess and nothing was too much trouble. As for her breakfasts, my gosh I have never tasted anything like it. The food was cooked to perfection and the sausage actually had flavour which is so hard to find in guest houses these days.
Thank you both so much for ending our travel with a perfect 2 nights in your brilliant place. We can't wait to come again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hbolton_xyx
Reviewed 19 April 2004

We would just like to put on record what a fantastic time we had in York. The service and welcome at Mowbray House was second to none. The room was immaculate, clean and well maintained. The decor appeared fresh and their policy of being a non-smoking establishment certainly pays dividends unlike other places we have stayed. The full English breakfast was very tasty and we would recommend you look no further than Mowbray House for your stay in the delightful city of York.

3  Thank denshep
Reviewed 10 November 2003

After spending 5 weeks traveling about England, I can say that this is one of the nicest B & B's that we found. The place is well decorated and immaculate. The rooms are very comfortable. Mr. and Mrs. Dawson were warm and friendly and very helpful. Their place is about a 10 minute walk to the Minster and did not prove to be a problem for my friend (who is in her mid 70's) and I. I would highly recommend this B & B to anyone who is looking for high quality, reasonable accomidations.

4  Thank BOC68
A TripAdvisor Member
New Westminster, BC
Reviewed 31 March 2003

Last time I was in the U.K. I made it a point to check out Mowbray House. I was pleased to see that the house is being kept in good condition and that it does indeed still stand. You see, this house has special meaning to me as my father, Wilfred Edward Mowbray, was the last Mowbray ever to be born in that house. He and his two brothers were all born in Mowbray house where they lived at the time as it was the family home. I don't know when it was sold or why, but to me it still signifies family. If anyone has any more information regarding the house and the family, I'd love to hear from you!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member