“Quiet gardens near city wall”

The Bar Convent Living Heritage Centre
Ranked #47 of 207 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum documents early Christianity in the north of England and features the story of Mary Ward, founder of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary and a pioneer of women's education and religious orders.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Did not visit Museum or cafe, but enjoyed sitting in delightful gardens and saw chapel. Food looked good and overall must be a delightful spot to escape the crowds.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Good visit. Quite good interpretation. Chapel very good. Care also very good. Reasonable prices.car park around corner

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have recently returned from a weekend in York with my aunt who has coeliac disease, She has to be very careful as she becomes ill so quickly.

We had been recommended Bar Convent cafe as it states it has a wide Gluten Free menu which it does appear to have. However after 30mins of eating there my aunt was ill. I have since done some research and found that the law changed recently on what could be labelled as Gluten Free. When I enquired as to what the limits were in the Gluten Free cakes that we ate I was told they did not know. I have enquired with the local council inspector and was told it should not be labelled as Gluten Free if it has not been tested and confirmed to be below 20%.These people are advertising wrongly and this has spoiled my aunts trip to York. I have writted to Bar Convent in the strongest terms informing them they are breaking the law on food labelling but I really don't expect and answer. If you go please ask if it REALLY gluten free before you become ill and spoil your visit.

5  Thank DEWright
Reviewed 8 June 2013

the keepers of this place are to be commended on there dedication and drive, the place is SIMPLY wonderful and I shall go back for sure

Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

Long ago I had attended a meeting at bar convent where they served fantastic biscuits but had not ventured back since.
Called by for a work lunch as its close to our offices and was amazed by the standard of food, friendly staff and tranquil surroundings.
Feasted on a crayfish tail sandwich and chips, very tasty and plenty of chips (served as a side order.)
Luckily it was a sunny day so we made the most of the outdoor garden. With two busy roads nearby, it was unbelievably quiet in the garden, only the sound of chirping birds. Highly recommended as it ticks all the boxes, great food great staff and great value!

2  Thank MattT4