“Smelly but very interesting”

Jorvik Viking Centre
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #21 of 206 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Return of the Vikings – JORVIK Reopens 8th April 2017 The year is AD960 and the last Viking King in Jorvik, Eric Bloodaxe, has been banished. The city is thriving with a flourishing manufacturing centre and wide trading links. There are new buildings, new peoples and new stories to be told... The world-famous JORVIK Viking Centre will reopen on Saturday 8th April 2017 after a multi-million pound re-imagining following the devastating flooding in 2015. What’s New? •A New Ride experience with the sights, sounds and of course, smells, of the Viking-Age •Updated historical interpretation, showcasing the cultural ‘melting pot’ of 10th-century York •The latest cutting edge technology bringing the Viking period to life! Hop aboard our improved ride experience and be transported back in time over 1,000 years! You will discover the impact of international trade on Viking-Age York, including the evolution of a multicultural society in the city, as it’s not just trade goods that flowed into Jorvik but people from across the globe! Plus, with 22 new animatronics across the recreation there is something new to see around every corner. Our gallery experiences have been completely updated, with new display cases allowing you to get up close to the astounding Viking artefacts that inspired the creation of JORVIK. You will have the chance to dig deeper into the Viking story of York using the latest in cutting-edge technology located throughout the centre.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Took me two days to get rid of the smell which seems to sit on your clothes, hair and skin! Otherwise very informative displays and very thought provoking about life in old York!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I visited in 1996 and it was cool then. It's still cool. It'll take days to get the wonderfully unique and horrid smell out of your brain, though. Good explanation of the Viking culture in York, great artifacts. My son really liked the 'mint a coin' thing. Took us about an hour and 15 minutes to go thru the whole thing, although we rushed because we had a timeslot at Dig.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have been wanting to go to Jorvik since it opened and finally this summer got around to it with my daughters (aged 7and 10). The museum was really good. It is aimed at primary aged children though adults will get lots out of it too. The first room was laid out as a transparent grid on the floor with maps to help you find the artefacts. This was great as my older daughter likes map reading and I was able to help my younger daughter to learn how to use the map to find the objects.
Both girls loved the ride around Viking York. There are audio commentaries which play throughout the trip which are a brilliant way of sharing the info. There is even a children's audio commentary which keeps them interested.
The final room is a museum with lots of reading to do. However there are some interactive screens which kept my children amused while I got to read some bits.
We went to the museum in early July when there were constant streams of school parties and so the 'Vikings' were occupied with them rather than being available for us to ask questions. We got lots more info and spent just as long (about an hour) at the Jorvik hut outside Jorvik museum on the high street (which was free)! The girl there (from the Jorvik centre) was very knowledgeable and showed us artefacts and answered all my daughter's questions about Vikings.
We got the 12 month ticket, for the same price as the day ticket, so we went back a couple of days later. My girls enjoyed doing the map activity again and loved the ride all over again. We did skip quickly through the final room on this second trip. If you are staying in York for a few days, I would recommend revisiting the museum. This will make the cost seem more worthwhile and you'll take in more information over the two trips than just the one.
I didn't learn as much as I thought I might about Vikings at Jorvik but it was interesting reading about the archeology aspect of Jorvik and how we now know as much as we do now about Vikings.
That led nicely into the next day's outing to DIG!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The whole experience is great, the displays and exhibits are well laid out allowing you to wander, or read up as much as you like. It's a bit of a struggle when it's busy as there are too many people getting in the way for smaller children. Go early or late to get a bit more space to see things. The ride through Viking York is very enjoyable too!.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This attraction was well worth the visit although from the outside I very nearly didn't go in.

You are sat in hanging cabs that hold 2 or 3 people and these cabs glide around the attraction with interactive figures and a dialog along the way. The cabs are easy to access and are an enjoyable and relaxing way to see this attraction.

There is an enormous amount of information available regarding the history of the Vikings in England with many showcases of artifacts.