“complaint”

Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in York
bradford
“complaint”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

we have been to this hotel before and i think it has gone downhill in the past 3 years.
we had no .hot water for our shower and whene we asked what the problem was we were told( well its an old system) and no offer to try and fix it i at times had to wait ten min at the bar to get served as there were no staff. we stopped with 2 other couples and we all had executive rooms but the rooms vary from 4 poster beds to two singles pushed together i dont see how you can charge executive prices for 2 singles pushed together.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

My first encounter was unpleasant because the clerk was unable to locate my reservation, I was a little frustrated due to the fact that I had been traveling on the road for 3 hours with 2 children. After about 15 minutes, it was discovered that my name was in the system backwards. Once entering the room, I noticed that the carpet did not appear to be clean, it felt gritty and looked like it had not been vacuumed for days. I later went to the fitness center which included 4 pieces of equipment, only one was in working order. When I inquired about this at the front desk, I was told "I'm not sure". The next night at about 11:00 PM there was a knock at my door, I asked who is it and they replied "front desk" and they told me that I had not paid for the additional night. I stated through the closed door that I had made my reservation for two days and for them to go back and check their records. I also asked why this was not brought to my attention earlier and never received a answer. I was just told that everything was o.k.. In the morning, I went to the business center to check my email, there were 3 computers (one was being used). I was unable to gain internet access on the remaining two. When I inquired about not being able to get on the internet from the other computers, I was told once again by the front desk " I don't know" and that was it. And lastly, I was told that check out was at noon, I left my room around 10:00 a.m. and return at 11:45a.m. to find my door open and in the process of being cleaned. I was so frustrated at this point, I just left.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Shelby090
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

Based on the Tripadvisor rating and reports we booked for a one-night stay and enjoyed the experience.
Our garden room was well equipped with loads of space including a dressing room and patio.
Staff were friendly and helpful, the gardens lovely (shame about the rain) and the hotel is very convenient for York.
The restaurant for dinner and room for breakfast also gave excellent service and good value food (too much in fact!!)
If you prefer the plastic uniformity of a chain hotel this may not be for you. If however you seek a well maintained, comfortable hotel with loads of character close to a City you just must visit then book the Mount Royale

Lytham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

Just spent 2 nights at the Mount Royale and wanted to let other people know how nice a place this is to stay. It is a 10 - 15 minute walk from the city centre which proved to be ideal as the parking is easier and the hotel is much quieter than a location inside the walls. I would describe the hotel as traditional and the split level top floor standard double room we had was charming (beams etc). The breakfast area was very relaxing as were the secluded gardens at the back. The staff were always smiling and simply could not have been more helpful. The bar was pretty lively at night and the general atmosphere in the hotel was hard to beat. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

We stayed in the hotel for 3 night. Nice location, free parking and accomodating staff. Though, they don't have free computers for guests use, they allow us to use their office computer during the evenings when the reception is less busy.

The rooms are very clean and spotless. The only complaint is our room has a very large beam that lays crosswise above our bed.

As for breakfast, their egg benedicts are very delicious. And they have a wide choice of breakfast to choose from.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

Like the majority of people reviewing this hotel, we too had a great stay. The room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was huge and we had an separate little room where to hang clothes and change. The only negative was that they really need to hover/vacuum the rafters to get rid of the cobwebs, which are to be expected especially in an old house. The staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The pool (heated, btw, which is really important, imo) out back was utterly delightful and the restaurant looked lovely as well with its dining tables under a covered patio - unfortunately, we didn't have time to try it. The breakfast was very good. The eggs were perfectly cooked, the fruit was fresh and delicious and it was all served with attention and relative speed. I would happily stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

bridgend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

We use hotels regularly due to our business. This hotel is faultless. We fail to understand how anyone could give this hotel a poor review. It was a last minute booking so we had a room at the front of the hotel, not the greatest location in the hotel and looked onto the main road. This was no problem whatsoever,. we had the window open and it was certainly not noisy as some other reviews suggest. It was a lovely room with a 4 poster bed and dressing room. The gardens and pool area are beautiful. Breakfast best we have had in a hotel, freshly cooked with plenty of selection. Would we return? most certainly and wouldn't consider any other hotel in York.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business