“its all there comfort..location..quality...and superb service”
Review of Carlton House

Carlton House
Ranked #9 of 193 York B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“its all there comfort..location..quality...and superb service”
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I have travelled to York several times now on business and stayed at other branded/chain hotels and find them in comparison to The Carlton House to be totally faceless and impersonal.

Having read the reviews on the Carlton within Trip Advisor I decided to move away from the mainstream and experience the personal touch that the Carlton claims to offer...I booked a double room (which turned out to be actually a double plus a single) for 2 nights Sunday 14th and Monday 15th as a valentines day treat for my partner and I...and I am extremely glad I did as from the minute we checked in I felt this guest house offered comfort, quality and service along with professional and very polite staff.

This spotlessly clean guest house is very tastefully decorated to a very high standard throughout, it was warm and inviting on the cold and wet day we arrived....the room we where allocated couldn't have been more perfect (room 14) it was on the top floor so very quiet...again spotlessly clean with lovely bedding and decor...the owner Mark even carried our case for us which I thought was a lovely touch, he was very friendly and even advised on places to visit and eat during our stay.

BREAKFAST mmmmm now that's another story...all I can say is yummy yummy yummy. Cooked to order from an extensive menu choice....and served in a lovely bright breakfast room...again echoing the style and quality of this establishment.

The owner Mark advised us that he was also available on site at anytime throughout our stay should we have any emergency or queries which again I found very comforting......and reflected the high level of service that the Carlton offers.

So all in all a place I would certainly recommend very highly and also revisit next time I am in York...great value for money and excellent location within walking distance from the train station and the centre of York....thanks Mark for a great stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010
4 Thank itssocomplicated

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I stayed with by fiance for two nights, following reading other good reviews on this website and have to agree with most peoples feedback that this is a great place to stay.
There were no double rooms left for the time of booking so we paid a bit extra for a family room. The room was a really good size, and could easily take a family with room for kids to play, spotless, and very comfortable. The bathroom looked to be recently updated and very clean.
Couldn't fault the place, the owners were very accomodating, arranging flowers on my behalf, and recommending venues for evening meals.
The cooked breakfasts were lovely and fresh (although in my opinion could do with black pudding and fried bread added, but thats down to taste and me being greedy!).
Would definitely recommend this place, and will be coming back again, probably with the kids. Good location as well, 5 minutes walk from the main attractions and the centre, but equally quiet enough on a night time to relax with a family if you want.
Nice family room down stairs to relax and games etc provided in case its bad weather.
Hoping it's not too busy next time I come to book!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jarmstrong78
Glasgow
Reviewed 11 February 2010

I wouldn't classify this place as hotel but a nice B&B around residential area, pretty close to city centre. I was put into a room fit for a couple and a child although the secretary booked me into a room for a single. The room is exceptionally clean, the toilet was like brand new. There was plenty of room to walk about inside, comfortable bed and a very complete set of coffee/tea/chocolate drink sachets to choose from.

Overall, it makes me feel like I am in a 1st class B&B. Breakfast was home-made and nice. I will definitely come back in the summer because my family will be travelling around England for a week.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is its price tag - pretty high for a B&B.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Morgan123s
Nottingham
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Stayed here with my wife for 2 nights in February. The room was on the second floor (no lift) and at the rear of the property. The room was large with a comfortable bed, quiet, tea/coffee tray, good shower. Very clean throughout. Great Yorkshire breakfast.
Probably a 15 minute walk in to the Shambles area, maybe 20 minutes to the Minster.
Only downsides (though not for us) could be the stairs - breakfast is in the basement, there were three flights back to our room; also there was no heating in the bathroom.
York is a fantastic place to visit with lots of places to eat and plenty of old pubs to visit.
Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Louth
Reviewed 3 February 2010

A wonderful place that has very friendly staff/owners and atmosphere. I would recommend to anyone visiting York.
The breakfast was excellent, the place very clean and we will almost certainly return for another stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slipperz
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We booked direct having noted more expensive pricing (plus 2 night minimum stay) on late rooms. Was a last minute trip to see friends and do a bit of shopping in the many great shops of York. On arrival we found space in the free car park and proceeded through check in being dealt with in a freindly and effecient manner. The room was up in the eaves of the building on the third floor and was, considering the cost, very nice. Medium size, clean, good heating with the little extra touches that you don't get in similar priced hotels/guest houses like bottled water (could of done with 2 bottles instead of the one) and tasty biscuits to go with the tea & coffee making facilities. We both slept soundly and you do benefit from being "out of town" that little bit by not having late night revellers passing every 2 minutes. We were given a key for the front door enabling us to move freely and the journey is only a 5 minute walk to Micklegate were the bars, restauants and shops start into the centre which is about 10 minutes. We enjoyed dinner at Saffron which i would recommend if you enjoy a great value curry and is only 5 minutes from Carlton House. A great breakfast is included and consisted of fruit juice, cereals, fresh fruit and a nice selection of different toasted breads with a choice of freshly cooked "English" breakfast options. I had poached eggs on toast with baked beans which was just what the doctor ordered after one too many drinks the previous night!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fidester
London
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Great location and very attentive staff.

We saw Carlton House on the Laterooms site but booked direct through their own website saving £15 a night. Our room was modern, clean quiet and spacious with free wifi access and flat screen wall mounted tv . Breakfast was served by a lovely waitress called Sue who started our day with a smile. We were only 10 mins stroll of the railway station Carlton House which was ideally situated for exploring York.
The (free) guests pc in the reception was a great idea for anyone needing to swot up on York or check their e-mails.
Try Indochine Restaurant fantastic Thai/Japanese/Korean cuisine.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple