“Best Haunted Berger on the Island”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #80 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Ocean City, Maryland
“Best Haunted Berger on the Island”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Well after doing the York Ghost Hunt we just had to visit the Golden Fleece. My family found the Pub very comfy and welcoming in a possibly haunted way. The staff were friendly and helpful. While there we had lunch and the food was very very good. The burger I ordered was the best I had on my trip from Scotland to London. Great Pub food and experience. I could not see any ghosts while there ,but I could sense them :) I will definitely stop in again if back in York. Mabe try to stay there as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Phillip R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Walked into the Golden Fleece today with my family, after sitting them down I went to the bar to be greated with "if you're staying you need to order food", I asked whether I could perhaps have a drink first "no" was the answer. Then perhaps we could have a look at menu whilst having our first round of drinks? "Go on then", customer service is a winner here! Maybe this pub gets enough custom to be able to be this rude, however I am still from the 'a smile costs nothing' brigade. Avoid unless you just want to say you've had a drink at York's most haunted pub.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Nicholas D

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I've been a regular visitor to the Fleece for a long time and it's only got better with age. The food is reasonably priced and comes in mountainous portions, which is never a bad thing! The bottom bar is often filled with live music and a great atmosphere and the ales are very well kept. The Fleece is always busy, which is a good sign and this wonky old pub never fails to offer up a great evening! Credit to Steph, Guy and the team!
A word of warning, the lower bar is generally reserved for diners until 9pm. This has led to some poor reviews which is unfair on the pub, which is a business and has to make money. This is pretty standard in York, and drinkers can always be assured of a warm welcome later in the evening.
Cracking pub, staff, food, beer and even the odd ghost. Don't miss out!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rarran
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This pub is central and is always very busy, a good sign! It's a pub with great atmosphere, and friendly staff. Tables can be reserved for food, and the menu is varied and reasonably priced. I have it on good authority that the beer is good too! (Husband)!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tina O
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We went here for a couple of nights for a drink and meal . Loved the Old Peculiar . Staff very friendly and good quirky atmosphere . Meals were good value for the money . Didn't see any ghosts but my wife felt spooked when her drink slid across the table

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank jebuc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a lovely little pub with great history for ghost lovers. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Unfortunately we saw no ghosts on our stay, but that just means we'll have to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I was visiting York for the first time with family members from New York. We wanted some good quality British home cooked pub food in a traditional pub.
We arrived early and ordered our food and drinks from the bar. Service was friendly, no problem here. We moved tables as our table was a little cramped and space was at a premium.
Then the food arrived. It may have been home made but it had all been microwaved and was tasteless. My lasagne was possibly the worst one I had ever tasted. I left it and ate the garlic bread. My daughter had cottage pie (surely they could not ruin that?). Wrong. Mostly glutinous mashed potato, you had to search carefully to find any meat. The only edible thing was the soup.
I can only assume that the other reviewer Chris K who says the food is outstanding has never been to one of the UK's quality pubs or he/she is joking. Please avoid this place if you want to eat or you might end up like the skeleton sitting at the bar!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends