“great”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #81 of 192 York B&B and Inns
manchester
“great”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I was really pleased that they had Hob Goblin on draft as its one of my favorite real ales..I've not been in for years and there was a new beer garden.Which was good. I used to stop here as a child..and i'm pleased to say its not lost any of its olde worlde charm. Lots of atmosphere..Didn't have any food..but saw people eating and it looked yummy..Would come here again..and i'd eat next time..

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aiasally

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
sheffield
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband and I both love this place, visit every time we go to York. Wednesday night they had guitarists and singers. Great atmosphere lovely people and good drinks. What more can you ask for when you go away for a few days. Will be back at the end of march.ŷ

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank knightvicky
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Look we loved this place, great pub, must see. It was a real experience. Lots of character, loved the slanted floor and uneven walls. We found the service friendly and quick. We had the Giant Yorkshire pudding with beef and mash. Excellent. We still talk about it with fond memories. Great value. This was one of the best English pubs we visited on our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Well after doing the York Ghost Hunt we just had to visit the Golden Fleece. My family found the Pub very comfy and welcoming in a possibly haunted way. The staff were friendly and helpful. While there we had lunch and the food was very very good. The burger I ordered was the best I had on my trip from Scotland to London. Great Pub food and experience. I could not see any ghosts while there ,but I could sense them :) I will definitely stop in again if back in York. Mabe try to stay there as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Phillip R
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Walked into the Golden Fleece today with my family, after sitting them down I went to the bar to be greated with "if you're staying you need to order food", I asked whether I could perhaps have a drink first "no" was the answer. Then perhaps we could have a look at menu whilst having our first round of drinks? "Go on then", customer service is a winner here! Maybe this pub gets enough custom to be able to be this rude, however I am still from the 'a smile costs nothing' brigade. Avoid unless you just want to say you've had a drink at York's most haunted pub.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Nicholas D

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I've been a regular visitor to the Fleece for a long time and it's only got better with age. The food is reasonably priced and comes in mountainous portions, which is never a bad thing! The bottom bar is often filled with live music and a great atmosphere and the ales are very well kept. The Fleece is always busy, which is a good sign and this wonky old pub never fails to offer up a great evening! Credit to Steph, Guy and the team!
A word of warning, the lower bar is generally reserved for diners until 9pm. This has led to some poor reviews which is unfair on the pub, which is a business and has to make money. This is pretty standard in York, and drinkers can always be assured of a warm welcome later in the evening.
Cracking pub, staff, food, beer and even the odd ghost. Don't miss out!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rarran
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This pub is central and is always very busy, a good sign! It's a pub with great atmosphere, and friendly staff. Tables can be reserved for food, and the menu is varied and reasonably priced. I have it on good authority that the beer is good too! (Husband)!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple