“Proper Yorkshire Portions”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #88 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The rooms are very nicely decorated with a great bath and shower. Our room had a view of the shambles which really gives you that magical York buzz. The food is very tasty and reasonably priced. They have a great choice including good vegetarian options. Starters are massive so unless you are a proper Yorkshire lad I would recommend sharing.

Room Tip: The room overlooking the shambles is great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2014

A visit to york for my birthday, with a spot of lunch in the most haunted pub in great britain would of been amazing however ( this is an honest review) as we entered, the atmosphere was really quite good, dark, old and a little spooky, my wife and I proceeded to the back of the pub where we was met by the grumpiest looking barman we had ever encounted, after speaking to him he certainly lived up to our expectations, I even made a slight joke about the skeleton at the end of the bar, not a flicker of a smile. As it was very hot in the bar we decided to sit outside, this was a very nice decking area, I went to order and was served by a young very polite lady, altho not very confident as this was her first day, the grumpy man then came over and made the poor girl feel about a foot tall, I took our drinks and sat outside to await our food,

Omg on the first instance the food looked great huge portions i had chicken pie with chips and beans, chips- very greasy, the pie and a very thick doughy top and bottom, chicken was dry even with the sauce surrounding it, a bowl of onion rings, again a huge portion landed but again was swimming in fat, my wife decided to go for the vegi burger, as a more healthy option, which woukd of been great if not deep fried,

We paid and left only to realise later that we had been overcharged by 16 pounds, I managed to get this back from mr grumpy so thank you, maybe a little compensation for my trouble would have been nice.

To conclude, the fleece is a nice eerie place with great charm and history, I would of thought being in the centre of york with lots of tourism that the staff would be very welcoming to all its customers.

I shall not be returning

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank scholando
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped by for a quick drink, got great bar service from a lovely girl telling us about all the ghost walks ect to do. So later on we popped back for food. Huge portions, in fact that big I couldn't eat my main after the starter, so bear in mind starters are fairly big :) all good. Quick service good food. Would defo go again :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I love this kind of place and I wish there was more near me. I love that the pub is original and it has the sloped floors. If I lived in York I'd be in here 24/7 not seen any spirits but I would be scared senseless if I did anyway haha :)))

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Had a pit stop here on our way home from a holiday for a quick pint but the food looked so nice we decided to eat too. Prices quite high for a pub lunch but you kind of expect the price hike in York....£4 for a side of chips and they werent worth it, frozen and fried type, but my sandwich was very good although it was on regular sliced bread it was filled so much I had to eat it with a knife and fork :) My sister had veg lasagne which was good.
I had two pints of Old Peculiar...well kept perfect pint. Staff were friendly and efficient, we were told food would be 40 minutes as it was very busy, but it came much faster.
Pub is very old and haunted apparently and Im not surprised, it is very atmospheric and spooky, glad we visited in daylight:) Nice beer garden, pleasant visit.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were staying elsewhere but called in for a drink,really good atmosphere and mostly friendly staff,the food was the best we have tasted the steak pie was to die for,soft tender steak in a rich gravy with lovely fat chips,carrots,red cabbage and peas,my husband had fish (not just any old fish) 2 huge battered cod with tartare sauce,chips and salad,again melt in the mouth fish,the portions are huge so not good for someone with a small appetite,you do not need a starter unless you are starving hungry.We cannot wait to go back and sample the chefs delights,keep up the good work you are a credit to your trade.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cath M
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We decided to try the food at the Golden Fleece on Saturday night having seen other diners food on the Friday night.
I was not disappointed. I had the giant Yorkshire pud with Nash and gravy and giant is the absolutely perfect description. This dish is not for the faint hearted, you really do need to be hungry.
Food was followed by a great acoustic set and good beer.
What a great atmosphere this venue creates.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank darren b
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Golden Fleece Hotel
#41 of 47 in York
The White Horse
The White Horse
#101 of 195 in York

Been to Golden Fleece? Share your experiences!