“Birthday surprise shambles room”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #81 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“Birthday surprise shambles room”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed over night in the shambles room comfy bed great old feel to the room an fantastic bathroom with slipper bath and shower big enough for 2 . Breakfast was lovely full English and not greasy at all . In the bar the girls behind the bar were helpful and polite food was lovely big portions . Only complaint was no champagne in room on arrival which I asked for as it was a surprise for my husband and also the kettle was very dirty . However I would go back

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Korsten2728

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Well we booked to stay for one night in August - we had to book for this weekend in March! - the waiting list for a weekend stay is that long!!! We have eaten here before and the food and portion sizes don't disappoint - wonderful, big Yorkshire portions and a simple, tasty pub grub menu. The room very clean and pleasant with tons of charm and character for its long history. The breakfast was excellent in the morning and the staff friendly and helpful. The price for one night's stay is expensive but you are in a very historic building facing the shambles with York Minster on the scene too. If we get the chance to stay again hopefully the waiting list won't be as long. We will definitely be visiting there for a meal on our next visit to York. We didn't see any spooks either of which I am glad.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The rooms are very nicely decorated with a great bath and shower. Our room had a view of the shambles which really gives you that magical York buzz. The food is very tasty and reasonably priced. They have a great choice including good vegetarian options. Starters are massive so unless you are a proper Yorkshire lad I would recommend sharing.

Room Tip: The room overlooking the shambles is great.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

A visit to york for my birthday, with a spot of lunch in the most haunted pub in great britain would of been amazing however ( this is an honest review) as we entered, the atmosphere was really quite good, dark, old and a little spooky, my wife and I proceeded to the back of the pub where we was met by the grumpiest looking barman we had ever encounted, after speaking to him he certainly lived up to our expectations, I even made a slight joke about the skeleton at the end of the bar, not a flicker of a smile. As it was very hot in the bar we decided to sit outside, this was a very nice decking area, I went to order and was served by a young very polite lady, altho not very confident as this was her first day, the grumpy man then came over and made the poor girl feel about a foot tall, I took our drinks and sat outside to await our food,

Omg on the first instance the food looked great huge portions i had chicken pie with chips and beans, chips- very greasy, the pie and a very thick doughy top and bottom, chicken was dry even with the sauce surrounding it, a bowl of onion rings, again a huge portion landed but again was swimming in fat, my wife decided to go for the vegi burger, as a more healthy option, which woukd of been great if not deep fried,

We paid and left only to realise later that we had been overcharged by 16 pounds, I managed to get this back from mr grumpy so thank you, maybe a little compensation for my trouble would have been nice.

To conclude, the fleece is a nice eerie place with great charm and history, I would of thought being in the centre of york with lots of tourism that the staff would be very welcoming to all its customers.

I shall not be returning

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scholando

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped by for a quick drink, got great bar service from a lovely girl telling us about all the ghost walks ect to do. So later on we popped back for food. Huge portions, in fact that big I couldn't eat my main after the starter, so bear in mind starters are fairly big :) all good. Quick service good food. Would defo go again :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I love this kind of place and I wish there was more near me. I love that the pub is original and it has the sloped floors. If I lived in York I'd be in here 24/7 not seen any spirits but I would be scared senseless if I did anyway haha :)))

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Had a pit stop here on our way home from a holiday for a quick pint but the food looked so nice we decided to eat too. Prices quite high for a pub lunch but you kind of expect the price hike in York....£4 for a side of chips and they werent worth it, frozen and fried type, but my sandwich was very good although it was on regular sliced bread it was filled so much I had to eat it with a knife and fork :) My sister had veg lasagne which was good.
I had two pints of Old Peculiar...well kept perfect pint. Staff were friendly and efficient, we were told food would be 40 minutes as it was very busy, but it came much faster.
Pub is very old and haunted apparently and Im not surprised, it is very atmospheric and spooky, glad we visited in daylight:) Nice beer garden, pleasant visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family