“Worth stopping in”
Review of Golden Fleece

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Golden Fleece
Ranked #81 of 192 York B&B and Inns
“Worth stopping in”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Enjoyable pub to visit. Well maintained historic pub in the city center with good beer on tap. Only had appetizers which were fine and portion sizes were generous. Staff friendly. Had a decent live musician late in the evening which was enjoyable. Nothing truly outstanding but enjoyable nonetheless

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colincecil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed 13 August 2014

What can you say about a 16th century inn with rooms above a pub? The staff is great, the included english breakfast is enormous and tasty, the inn is centrally location, and the value is appropriate for the price. We stayed in the Lady Pickett room - the one with the floor that is so sloped that one of the bedposts is sitting on a 4-inch wooden block. That said, the room and en-suite bath was clean and everything worked. The room was surprisingly quiet, for being above a pub.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill H
Cheshire
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here last August for 2 nights for a spooky birthday weekend away with my family. There were 7 of us all together and we rented out all of the rooms, I stayed in Saint Catherine’s with my sisters. Which was an experience within itself as twice we found ourselves stuck inside the room as the door just would not open even though it was unlocked – very creepy. When the pub closes up you are left in the hotel alone, which for us was brilliant as we ventured down in the early hours of the morning to “investigate” We were brave and brought our Ouija board along and we certainly witnessed some scary things that I will never forget. The hotel overall does have an eerie feeling that you can’t help but feel. I love the fact that everything is crooked, it all adds to the experience.

The breakfasts in the morning are humongous and delicious with choices of cereals, full English, fresh juice, tea, and coffee. This is the second time we have stayed at the Golden Fleece. We had a great time and will be coming to stay again I’m sure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Abigailbaker13
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed over night in the shambles room comfy bed great old feel to the room an fantastic bathroom with slipper bath and shower big enough for 2 . Breakfast was lovely full English and not greasy at all . In the bar the girls behind the bar were helpful and polite food was lovely big portions . Only complaint was no champagne in room on arrival which I asked for as it was a surprise for my husband and also the kettle was very dirty . However I would go back

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Korsten2728
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Well we booked to stay for one night in August - we had to book for this weekend in March! - the waiting list for a weekend stay is that long!!! We have eaten here before and the food and portion sizes don't disappoint - wonderful, big Yorkshire portions and a simple, tasty pub grub menu. The room very clean and pleasant with tons of charm and character for its long history. The breakfast was excellent in the morning and the staff friendly and helpful. The price for one night's stay is expensive but you are in a very historic building facing the shambles with York Minster on the scene too. If we get the chance to stay again hopefully the waiting list won't be as long. We will definitely be visiting there for a meal on our next visit to York. We didn't see any spooks either of which I am glad.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The rooms are very nicely decorated with a great bath and shower. Our room had a view of the shambles which really gives you that magical York buzz. The food is very tasty and reasonably priced. They have a great choice including good vegetarian options. Starters are massive so unless you are a proper Yorkshire lad I would recommend sharing.

Room Tip: The room overlooking the shambles is great.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

A visit to york for my birthday, with a spot of lunch in the most haunted pub in great britain would of been amazing however ( this is an honest review) as we entered, the atmosphere was really quite good, dark, old and a little spooky, my wife and I proceeded to the back of the pub where we was met by the grumpiest looking barman we had ever encounted, after speaking to him he certainly lived up to our expectations, I even made a slight joke about the skeleton at the end of the bar, not a flicker of a smile. As it was very hot in the bar we decided to sit outside, this was a very nice decking area, I went to order and was served by a young very polite lady, altho not very confident as this was her first day, the grumpy man then came over and made the poor girl feel about a foot tall, I took our drinks and sat outside to await our food,

Omg on the first instance the food looked great huge portions i had chicken pie with chips and beans, chips- very greasy, the pie and a very thick doughy top and bottom, chicken was dry even with the sauce surrounding it, a bowl of onion rings, again a huge portion landed but again was swimming in fat, my wife decided to go for the vegi burger, as a more healthy option, which woukd of been great if not deep fried,

We paid and left only to realise later that we had been overcharged by 16 pounds, I managed to get this back from mr grumpy so thank you, maybe a little compensation for my trouble would have been nice.

To conclude, the fleece is a nice eerie place with great charm and history, I would of thought being in the centre of york with lots of tourism that the staff would be very welcoming to all its customers.

I shall not be returning

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scholando

Travellers are raving about these York hotels