“Mistake”
Review of Exhibition Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Exhibition Hotel
Ranked #111 of 193 York B&B and Inns
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Mistake”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My son and I arrived here last week.At the time of booking I stressed we were arriving by train at 10.30am and could we leave our bags.We could not get in!I rang the bell,tried the door,and telephoned 4 times before leaving my 11 yr old on the hotel steps with the bags while I walked around the corner in the pouring rain to the beer garden entrance.The member of staff I met stated that the door was open I told him it wasn't and could I please just leave our bags?We left and returned later to check in and were then told we would be the only people in the establishment through the night as the staff went home at 11.30pm when the pub closed and not be back until 6am.I was not comfortable with this at all,but it was too late to change hotel etc.Room 1 overlooks a very busy road junction and the traffic never stopped all night coupled with the drunks from the pub across the street.The food was acceptable (first mornings breakfast bacon and sausage burnt)but expensive for pub food.Drinks also expensive £8.75 for half diet coke and dry wine.To top it all I have received 3 emails stating we left with their keys!I handed them behind the bar at 9.30am on the morning of departure.On booking this hotel I liked it for its proximity to the city centre but that is its only plus point I am afraid and we will not be back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank val n

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We have stayed here many times and have always thoroughly enjoyed it. It is in an ideal location with parking. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is very good and reasonably priced with an excellent atmosphere in the bar.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Susan P
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stopped by for a drink or three before heading into York.

Came in and were met by friendly staff who inquired about our visit to York, it wasn't forced and I felt like they were genuinely interested. There were 7 real ales on, well there was meant to be 7 but one had just gone and was getting replaced. I settled for my staple favourite of Timothy Taylor's Landlord and she had a large glass of Pinot.

We went and sat outside in a totally unexpected beer garden. It was massive! It has the potential to be beautiful in the summer as it has lots of planters and plant pots waiting to be filled! I want to come back just to see what it looks like.

All in all a diamond in the rough if you like a simple, family run pub with no cheap frills and friendly and attentive staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

excellent hotel. great rooms and food is so good.staff are so friendly and welcoming will be coming back to this hotel.excellent location not far from centre nice views .will be coming back with friends

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Burton on Trent
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I love the food at The Exhibition. Lovely, fresh ingredients without any pretentiousness. I had a pork chop with sausages served with fresh (real) mash, carrots, cauliflower, green beans and gravy for less than £11. My husband chose the lamb shank and on a previous visit we ate the gammon. All good portions too and well cooked and presented. The pub is so clean - well done to the person who polishes the copper and brasses and the staff are so friendly. I also enjoyed a bottle of Shiraz and my husband enjoyed the beers.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
rotherham
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Got home today after spending 2 nights at this hotel.The hotel is in an excellent location being just 1 minute from the city and all the shops, bars restuarants and city sights.Inside the hotel the rooms are spacious (we had a double en-suite)and ours was spotless with clean towels every day and all the toiletries needed in the room.Downstairs you go into a beautiful public house with a large open fire and for me a choice of different hand pulled beers.There is a large beer garden to the rear with private parking for your car.I will not put a comment about the breakfast because we enjoyed our stay in York that much we failed to get up for it as our bed was too comfortable.If you fancy a stay in York you will not go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank holly1958
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Had 2 great days stopping here ,the room was spacious and spotless,the bar area is lovely and the hotels in a prime spot just a few mins from the centre. Will definitely stay here again .Having stayed in numerous hotels and guest houses in york this one will be our first choice in future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple