“Written as a wedding party ....”
Review of Grays Court Hotel

Grays Court Hotel
Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in York
York, UK
“Written as a wedding party ....”
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

My son and his (new) wife recently held their Civil Ceremony at Gray's Court, York. What a good choice. A perfect venue full of history and charm. Excellent food (lunch) for the private meal. Super, comfortable, large room (for the bride and groom) overlooking the gardens and city walls of York. Friendly staff and excellent organisation, thanks to Rhianon. Great gardens for the obligatory photographs. I hope the bride and groom enjoyed their day as much as we did!

We have also had morning coffees and light lunches at the wonderful old town house. As always, excellent quality, service and comfort

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Xerones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Doncaster
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have just spent one night at this lovely hotel, it was a special birthday treat from my family.
If you like very old hotels then this is the one for you.
With the most beautiful gardens, and fabulous oak panelling in the long gallery and stained glass windows, the atmosphere just throws you right back into the middle ages.
I was greeted by the lovely ''Shaun'',who showed me to my room (Fairfax) and even though it was only 11:30am it was ready for me to go into right away, which was nice as I could leave my overnight bag and explore York.
Shaun explained where everything was, and left me to it, so I quickly freshened up and set off to walk round all the lovely shops.
I was very lucky, the weather was warm and the sun shining, I couldn't have asked for more.
When I got back to the hotel around 5pm, I went straight to my room and ran the huge standing bath and had a good soak, it was heaven!!.
The bed was a double and very comfortable. I had asked for a lightweight duvet, but when it came to bedtime I found it to be the normal 15 tog, so far too heavy and warm for me but this was the only oversight on the hotels part.
Fortunately I was facing the gardens and could open the sash windows really wide to cool me down, and to say I was within York's city walls it was very quiet.
The bed was very comfortable.
I had dinner in the ''posh'' dining room, it was cosy with soft music playing in the background and didn't feel at all out of place with being on my own.
The waitress was lovely, I ordered 'Benjamin's Suprise' for starters, which was a mixture of mackerel, pasta and cheese topping it was delicious, in fact with the hot roll and butter I could have made that my meal it was so filling and tasty.
For the main I had lamb which was very tender, along with potato and two veg. and a wonderful sauce to compliment the lamb.
The whole meal was delightful as was the setting, I was sorry to have to leave!.
I went to my room around 9pm, and watched TV for a while then prepared for bed, the bed was comfortable but I was far too hot under the thick duvet, but felt it was far too late to phone housekeeping to change it.
The breakfast was in another beautiful room which looked out onto the gardens, there were the usual yogurts, cereals and juices to help yourself, the fresh orange juice was beautiful, and exactly what it said FRESH.
The lovely Shaun served me and I asked for bacon two fried eggs and one sausage, as I was still pretty full from the night before, it was soon on the table exactly as I had asked for, well done bacon and two tasty fresh eggs.
Shaun took the time to have a chat, he is a delightful young man and made me feel very comfortable with me being on my own.
I was sorry to leave this hotel, and when I go back for an overnight stay I will not hesitate to book there again.
Helen was on reception when I left, and I suggested that it would be nice to have some history of the hotel in the guests rooms, she said she was complying interesting facts about the hotel herself and asked if I would like her to run off a copy for me, I said yes and she was back within five minutes with a sheaf of papers all about the hotels which I have really enjoyed reading since I got home.
So, if you would like a quiet, cosy, good food hotel within the ancient city of York, then give Gray's Court a try, it is well worth the money.

Room Tip: Book one facing the beautiful gardens.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank DoncasterYorkie
york, North Yorkshire
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Grays Court is a very special place to my Husband and I for lots and lots of reasons, many more than I could possibly cover in a trip advisor review- but I'll try...

We live a short walk from Grays and have spent many a relaxed summers evening enjoying a bottle of wine in the stunning walled garden or cosied up for a cup of tea beside the log fire in the reception area in the winter. From our first visit we fell in love with both the building, the surroundings and the family and staff behind it.

And so when my Husband decided to propose to me, it felt absolutely right that he should arrange the proposal at Grays Court, with a brass quartet emerging from the balcony as we took it all in from the grounds below. We were made to feel incredibly special by everyone at Grays Court, with the events coordinator taking photos, champagne delivered on cue and hugs of congratulations from the team and the family.

There was never any contest for a more fitting venue for our wedding. We had always dreamt of a grand backdrop for our big day, somewhere that from the very outset set the tone for the day. But we also wanted a place where we wouldn't be on a conveyor belt of weddings, it had to be personal to us. And we had grand plans for decorating the venue and making it our own...

Whereas so many wedding venues have strict rules about decorations, drinks, food and everything in between, working together with Rhiannon the Events Coodinator at Grays Court, we were able to put together exactly what we wanted for the big day from scratch.

Want to decorate the lions on the gates? No problem! Individual hand raised pies for the wedding breakfast? Consider it done! Confetti on the lawn, parasols in the garden, bunting strung in every direction, a welsh choir singing to the wedding party from the Bar Walls, fizz flowing, smiley, amazing staff, wonderful food, a stunning backdrop, nothing was too much trouble and everything was simply PERFECT. Because Rhiannon and the Grays Court family and team really, really do care and take huge pride in everything they do. Literally everything. I was convinced we had thought of every detail to ensure our day was just right but the Grays Court team managed to add so many special touches to our day so that there were surprises for us too- for example custom made hearts with our initials on the top of our pies. So thoughtful and these things really made our day.

It's hard to sum up exactly what makes Grays Court so very, very special but in a nutshell it's the unique combination of a family owned, family run business set within the most charming, characterful, beautiful surroundings. The whole building oozes warmth and is a proud and dignified old gent of a building, never showy or boastful. The owner, Helen and her children have injected so much life in to Grays Court and gently- flung open its doors, making everyone welcome to come and enjoy this exceptional place.

Nestled snuggly behind the Minster Grays Court is right in the heart of the beautiful city of York but is tucked away down a lesser known, peaceful cobbled street making it sancturary away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist traps.

If you are considering a trip to York, whether you fancy afternoon tea, a special evening meal, a drink on the lawn, a memorable night away or better still are looking for the perfect backdrop for a private function Grays Court really is the answer to your prayers. Please though, don't tell everyone- as we would rather like to keep this wonderful place all to ourselves!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank YorkshireRose123456
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have just got back from a night at Grays Court. it was surprise and found everything amazing. from the service to the whole environment. We were greeted by a new member of staff that was her second day and dealt with us brilliantly. We were shown the bar and breakfast area even though there was private function we did not feel unwelcome but to join and enjoy our stay. Our room was fantastic with a beautiful 4 poster bed and lovely furniture. i wish we could have stayed there longer. We missed breakfast because the bed was so comfy but told us we could still eat. Fantastic service. I will be going back next time in in york for afternoon and to enjoy the grounds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C M
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Unfortunately I didn't stay at Grays Court but attended a wedding there on August 29th. It was an amazing experience, from the champagne on arrival and wedding ceremony in the beautiful garden summer house, to a delicious meal in the long gallery, to the evening events and buffet, it was meticulously planned and executed down to the last detail. I imagine the passersby on York City walls must have thought they were witnessing a celebrity wedding and I am sure that the bride and groom and everyone who attended felt like a celebrity! Nothing was too much trouble for the attentive staff. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Chaffinch9
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My daughter chose Grays Court as the venue for her wedding, sole use of the hotel was booked so all rooms were occupied by the wedding party. The hotel is an historic building which has been modernised to provide spacious accommodation. The gardens are amazing and the weather was fine so the ceremony was held in the summer house. We stayed two nights, the eve of the wedding and the wedding day. The staff were friendly and helpful and did all they could to make the day run smoothly, which it did. The breakfasts were very good with a large range of options. The meal for the reception was excellent and the service was very good. Delighted that my daughter and her husband to be chose Grays Court, everyone thoroughly enjoyed their stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank pmfWestYorkshire
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We visited Grays Court for Afternoon Tea last weekend, as part of my birthday celebrations. The hotel sits beside the Treasurer's House, and is a very short walk from the Minster. The property has recently been upgraded and now has several very well laid out rooms, and beautiful gardens We sat in the gardens, and enjoyed a very pleasant couple of hours grazing on nice food in a lovely surrounding. We had been advised the service wasn't great but in fact on two visits now it has been absolutely fine. The food was beautifully presented and portions were a good size, without being excessive. We've really enjoyed both visits and will be back, often.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends