“Interesting, enjoyable & entertaining”
Review of Grays Court Hotel

Grays Court Hotel
Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in York
York
“Interesting, enjoyable & entertaining”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed just one night, had a lovely room although the bed was quite creaky! staff were welcoming and very pleasant. After staying in 'chain type' hotels, it is so refreshing to stay somewhere with individuality and character. Location is excellent for York centre. Lovely for afternoon tea in the Summer. Had a most lovely home cooked breakfast!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Sharp-Life

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Came across Grays Court by chance on internet, and so glad we did,this really has something special, Great welcome, such a relaxing place, went for shopping but didn't really want to leave hotel, perfect location, can't wait to return.

2 Thank christinebernadette
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful one night stay at the hotel. We have been visiting York for over 25 years and stayed in many of the hotels both in the city centre and the outskirts. This hotel is different to any we have previously stayed in. The hotel oozes history, character and charm. There is something interesting to see around every corner and in every nook and cranny. The building has a very warm and welcoming feel, with so many places to sit, relax and soak up the history. As previous reviewers have written, the hotel does have it's quirky side and this is part if it's charm. This is as far from a formulaic chain hotel as you could get - and all the better for it. The bedrooms furnished with antiques in contrast with the superb contemporary bathrooms - both superb in every way. Each public room has been furnished with great care and obvious thought in order to reflect the significant history of the building and it's surroundings and to create a certain ambiance. The owner clearly cares deeply for the building, it's surroundings and the heritage of the building which she and her family are now the custodians of.. The hotel is unique and offers a very personal experience for all that stay there. You feel more like one of the family rather than simply a client/customer or guest. It will certainly become our retreat in York from now on. I hope that the hotel continues to go from strength to strength, but does not lose it's unique charm, character and of course it's quirkyness!
PS the food at breakfast and the evening meal was outstanding and the service friendly and efficient. Nothing was too much trouble - even our broken bed - and if you were wondering, I only sat on it!! Well I suppose that is the joy of antique furniture. This was not a problem as without any fuss we were offered another room straight away.

Room Tip: There are only 7 rooms (I think) and if you look on the website you can see photographs and details...
2 Thank John L
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I've just read JaneyW's review and it looks like they were there the same time as us.

Let's start with the good and the great.

1. When I arrived on Friday after a long day a 3 hour train journey and a walk across town, my other half was sitting in a lovely window seat in the long gallery with a glass of wine. I joined in and it felt like I had found heaven. Nice wine, company, amazing building and really friendly staff. The feel of the place was incredible, so old and steeped in history, but cosy with log fires, wood panelling. Excellent.

2. The room was nice enough with a great shower and wonderful Clarins cosmetics, robes, big towels and a really comfy bed with crisp white linen. The heating had failed so we had a standalone heater - which belted out the heat - so not an issue.

3. Breakfast on Saturday was FANTASTIC. Lovely eggs benedict, scrambled egg and smoked salmon, loads of choice and the youngish waiter who served us was really polite, friendly and helpful. Good breads etc.

4. On Saturday night the hotel was taken over by a wedding and when we arrived back after dinner, we were rudely shoo-ed out of the bar by one of the guests but did get drinks served downstairs so that was fine.

5. Sunday breakfast was also excellent, poached eggs and bacon really well cooked and fresh porridge made on request. Can't fault the views from the breakfast room too.

Here's a few things that I suggest would make this a great hotel - and I stay 150+ nights a year in hotels and have done for years including lots of boutique ones as well as the usual Hilton, Marriott, Four Seasons etc.

1. There should be someone on reception at all times. We left our key and it was still there when we came back several hours later - still on the counter.

2. The wardrobe in our room was rustic/antique but not very functional Hanging space was minimal.

3. The wine list could be printed as we found the blackboard system a bit confusing.

4. Parking should be free. I do not like hotels that have extras. This is not Ryanair or EasyJet. The rates at Grays Court are not insignificant and I don't expect to have to pay extra to park at a hotel except in capital cities or NCP type car parks. I know that York is a difficult place to park and that your location is very central but nonetheless it should be included especially as it is really just outside parking in your courtyard.

5. It was difficult at times to work out who was staff and not - I think there was some sort of family celebration taking place and I couldn't tell who was staff and not. We could have been told about the wedding/event causing some of the public areas to be unavailable.

6. Is there WIFI? We should have asked.

The card machine issue was sorted when we checked out although we had been asked earlier to get cash after breakfast - not really what you expect.

We would like to come back if you'll have us and look forward to seeing how this relatively new hotel progresses as the receptionist told us of some planned changes.

Room Tip: THere are just 7 rooms.
4 Thank georgegibbs
England
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We've just got back from a weekend at Gray's Court and the whole experience has been rather reminiscent of Fawlty Towers. However, in the spirit of saying something positive first, the location is fabulous for a York city break, and one of the young waitresses at dinner was courtesy personified - although I suspect she was becoming increasingly embarrassed at the catalogue of disasters that just kept on coming..
1. Wine we wanted was off that evening
2. Main course I wanted was sold out that evening
3. We were brought someone else's peppermint tea when we were halfway through our starters (at which point, the giggles set in)
4.We were brought someone else's main course
5.Lights fused when I was in the loo (verging on serious laughter now) plunging me into pitch darkness
6.Asked if someone was seeing to us and was there anything we wanted by a random young person (? member of the family) in glittery crop top and leggings (by now, uncontrollable)
7.On check-out next morning, card machine not working. This turned out to be because the girl on reception had not got hold of the right one - which was located just after husband returned from cashpoint with wads of cash (ceasing to be funny now.....)

Well, you get the picture - and all this was after the room we originally booked turned out to be double-booked, so we had been allocated another! Was Gray's Court just having an 'off' weekend? Maybe we'll try it again in a year or so, and find out!!

5 Thank JaneyWEngland
HHeraty, Owner at Grays Court Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Hi there,

I quite understand your comments, but let me expand please. We were not able to offer the room you initially booked due to an overbooking. Very occasionally this happens but we had advised you of this before and removed the charge for parking as compensation. Elizabeth Gray is an equally nice room, albeit without the four poster.

We had run out of the wine you ordered, but Shaun went through the list and offered an alternative wine of a similar style. I have quizzed the staff both front and back of house and they are adamant that you did get the main course you wanted.

With regards to the lights, I quite understand your point of view, and I apologise for the inconvenience. A light was turned on, the bulb blew and that tripped the circuit. It was put back on in the time it took me to get from the ground to second floor to flip the trip switch. The electrical circuits are very sensitive, and this was simply an accident. Whilst inconvenient, some things just can't be helped.

The glittery young lady in question is a delightful girl who has recently started working here. It is her first part time job as she is still at school. She was here attending my daughter's birthday party. When I realised that she was falling into work mode, despite her inappropriate attire, both Shaun and I reminded her she was off duty. This must have been disconcerting for you. She was trying to be helpful, and we have explained the reasons why she must draw a line between being here to work or as a guest.

I am really sorry for the failure of the card machine, which clearly caused you considerable inconvenience. However, as a goodwill gesture, you were not charged for your meal or drinks but only accommodation.

I find it frustrating when things go wrong for our guests, and welcome feedback, whether it be good or bad. I hope I have addressed all the issues you have raised with the staff to ensure that there is no bad feeling, and I hope you return to Grays Court in the future.
Yorkshire England
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Grays Court is the most amazingly atmospheric, perfectly located grade I listed hotel and venue in York and possibly the country!
As a York city centre resident I do not need to stay over, but wish I did! I have taken visiting friends of every age for coffee, lunch or drinks here and all have, quite rightly, been enchanted.
Grays court is owned and run by a delightful family and as a result everything feels-and is-'genuine'.
Accessed by the cobbled street down the side of the Treasurer's House the superb courtyard, enchanting interior and wonderful garden are simply too good to miss.
The walls tell many amazing stories over the centuries and the present incumbents have their own remarkable and unfolding story to add to them. Go and discover Grays Court for yourself!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank vivacious1
York, UK
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

My son and his (new) wife recently held their Civil Ceremony at Gray's Court, York. What a good choice. A perfect venue full of history and charm. Excellent food (lunch) for the private meal. Super, comfortable, large room (for the bride and groom) overlooking the gardens and city walls of York. Friendly staff and excellent organisation, thanks to Rhianon. Great gardens for the obligatory photographs. I hope the bride and groom enjoyed their day as much as we did!

We have also had morning coffees and light lunches at the wonderful old town house. As always, excellent quality, service and comfort

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family