“Mid week break”
Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We had a beautiful night at a 4/5 Star Spa our first night so were not expecting our 2nd night in a Holiday Inn to match it, but this hotel did just that.
Outside the city just near the race course, this hotel is excellent!!!!!!!!!!!.
Rooms spacious, very clean and modern.
I had a problem with the bed it was a little too hard for me, no problems though I was given a 2nd duvet which I laid on and had a lovely comfortable nights sleep.
Restaurant is lovely and bright, Staff very attentive and polite, food excellent.
Breakfast is buffet style, very very good though everything is fresh they only put a little out at a time so it's always fresh.
Would defenitely reccomend this hotel, and will go again.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but higher floors would be away from the rear entrance for late night arrivals...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jlidd
Write a ReviewReviews (1,401)

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We decided very late in the day (around 2045hrs) that we would have a short stop over in York. We decided on the Holiday Inn as it was the first place we saw on entering the area. We were not disappointed! The staff were very helpful. We did not give them much notice that we required an evening meal but this was no problem. We decided to order our meal, take our cases to the room end then return to the restaurant. On doing this everything ran like clockwork. Our meal arrived just after our drinks, the meal was fresh and tasted great. There was a slight glitch when we went to pay for our drinks and the bill included our meal (which was covered by our booking) bit that was quickly sorted out. Then on to bed and we had a very comfortable night, very quiet and restful. Breakfast the next morning was excellent! The quality of food was great as was the choice. We did have another slight glitch when checking out when we were asked to pay for a drinks bill which had been settled the previous night but when the receipt was passed over this was sorted out with no problems.
We then asked about where to park our car for the day when we went into York and were told that it was no problem to leave the car in their car park. I thought this was excellent and made me feel that I would definitely consider staying with them again as they did not have to offer this facility.
The food that we had while at the hotel was fantastic.I had a really restful and good sleep.
I would definitely stay here again and probably will do when I next visit York.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This hotel is very good. It's clean, the beds were comfortable, ample parking and it's handy for the racecourse ... but .... There is no free Wi Fi (a disgrace in this day and age). The Breakfast is VERY VERY expensive. It is £12.50 (£9.50 if booked in advance), which borders on the ludicrous up north. You are better off going to the Sandwich Bar at on the main road( just 2 minutes away). A full breakfast is £4.50 and there are seats inside, so the Breakfast Bar doubles as a cafe (I recommend it).
I won't tell you how much it for the WiFi for 24 hours, but a clue is that it costs £5 per hour ( this is as near to legalised thievery as you will get).
The hotel is nowhere near York city centre, so unless you relish a 50 minute walk, then you will have to get either a taxi (£9.00 ) or a bus (£3.50 return).
Would I return? ... Yes, but only if I were going to a race meetng, and I would have Breakfast up the road at the Breafast Bar.
To sum up - This Hotel is good, but it knows how to charge.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank chowdray
Reviewed 17 July 2012

The room was ok and huge flat screen HD TV a nice touch = but that's about all the positves.!
I arrived at reception to find three staff in deep discussion, no-one looked up or acknowledged that I was there, eventually one of them checked me in, but no greeting. " Welcome to the Holiday Inn" would have been pleasant. Everything else fairly utility, and despite paying extra for an executive room, not alot of frills. I don't know if I read this correctly but the charge for 24 hrs wi-fi appeared to be £28 - if that is correct then I can only describe it as a complete rip off.
Holiday Inn - it's 2012 you need free wifi in the rooms !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank richardi
Reviewed 12 July 2012 via mobile

Fairly convenient if you are happy to catch a bus or taxi to the city centre, rooms on the small side, but very clean. There was a huge flat screen t.v, and a executive is two singles pushed together but very comfy. There is a restaurant, food was great, well priced. Only gripe was that there was no free WiFi anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Another great stay for us. Room was immaculate once again!

Room Tip: The executive rooms are best!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SLBooth
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Clean, comfortable room, efficient front desk and a decent bar. Can't ask for much more really.

Room Tip: Get an executive upgrade.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business