“Not bad, but could do with a bit of TLC”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #36 of 45 Hotels in York
Newcastle
“Not bad, but could do with a bit of TLC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We booked this on a very short notice 'secret' hotel deal, and for what we paid (around £80) it was very good, the room was clean and tidy but could have done with a bit of TLC, the furniture and fixture and fittings looked like they had not been changed for 20 years and wereshowing signs of wear and tear. Apart from this the room was great for what we needed, it was a 25minute walk into the town and it was great that the parking was free.

Overall not bad but I think the £140 per night price advertised behind the desk is pushing it a bit for the standard of accommodation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear jimmyoeat
Many thanks for your review, I was pleased to read you found your room to be clean and tidy and the hotel and location met your needs. Your comments are very much appreciated and will be used in a constructive manner.
Douglas Winfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn for five nights, planned to stay for four but there is so much to see in York and the surrounding area. The staff were extremely helpful, the breakfast buffet was delicious.
We left the car at the hotel and went into York by bus, a matter of minutes and so much cheaper than car park charges.
Place worth visiting include the undercrypt at York Minster, Fountains Abbey (out of town).
A delightful italian restaurant in the Shambles 'L'Antico, so good we went twice.

Room Tip: All Hoilday Inn rooms are excellent and there is no problem with noise at this hotel,
1 Thank ROY J
Dear ROY J
Many thanks for your review, I was pleased to read you had a comfortable stay and you found there was plenty of interesting places to visit in York and the surrounding area. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the hotel so you can explore York further.
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just spent 3 nights here on our trip to york which was our first visit. The hotel was easy to find the reception staff very friendly and helpfull with getting into York. The bus stop was opposite the hotel and a dayrider ticket was £3.70 and the city was only ten minutes. Our room was very spacious and clean. The only problem we had was a noise from the heating system in the night this was sorted for us by the time we got back from the city on day two. The breakfast was first class and a good selection even pancakes. We had a meal in the restaurant on the first evening which was also excellent although we thought a little expensive as our bill was over £70 although we did have a bottle of wine with it the 10% service charge didn't help. I have never agreed with service charges. We went to the fox & roman opposite the hotel on the second evening for a meal which cost £45 with a bottle of wine this to was excellent and on the third night we had a meal at the three tuns in the city which was even cheaper and really nice food only a bit on the large side.
This hotel is the best holiday inn that we have stayed in so far and we have stayed in a lot we would stay again without a doubt. Wether we would eat in the restaurant in the evening again the service charge would have to be dropped first.

Room Tip: 413 was very nice
Dear ISCA13
I am delighted to read you enjoyed your first visit to York and you found the Holiday Inn York to be one of the best. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Many thanks for your feedback
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Room was clean and adequately equipped, what I would expect from a Holiday Inn. I felt it was over priced given how basic it was, there is probably better accommodation in York offering better value for money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RebeccaD80
Dear RebeccaD80
Thank you for your review, your comments are appreciated and I am sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations but I am pleased you found your room to be clean.
With regards
North Berwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was quite impressed by the reception area of Holiday Inn York. It was pleasing to the eye and so I was fairly confident that the hotel was a good choice when we checked in. However, the room itself was tired and the bathroom had an unpleasant smell that filtered through into the bedroom. I'm not saying that the bathroom was dirty but it was old and did smell stale. I suspect that bleach is not used, due to the environment, yet a good scrub with a bleach-based product would have likely killed all of the lingering odours.
We decided to have a room-service dinner. My husband had a chicken dish which he said was very dry and his side-order of fries did not arrive (although they were on the bill, when we checked-out, despite him phoning to complain, once his dinner arrived.) We also ordered a child's portion of macaroni cheese. This was a solid mass when it arrived. I could pick the whole lot up, on a fork, it was so heavy. Also, it was completely tasteless. One mouthful was more than enough. Not good.
Restless night due to a soft bed and lumpy pillows. Next morning, when I tidied the bed, the cover had come off the bottom half of the duvet ... and the condition of the duvet itself was terrible.
Breakfast in the dining room was much better though it did feel like we were in an Army barracks as we were surrounded by soldiers in Army uniform and with all of their kit on the restaurant floor. (Why would soldiers be staying at a hotel, I ask myself?)
All-up, a pretty average experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear maythorne
Thank you for your feedback and I am ever so sorry to learn how your overall stay was disappointing. I really am most concerned to read your comments, the bedroom cleanliness, quality of bed and breakfast are exactly the areas which we should and do normally excel in.

I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your findings with you and would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly at the hotel or my Operations Manager Nick Henderson.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointing stay.
Yours sincerely
Douglas Winfield

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

we stayed for 1 night,on the same night as a wedding reception party but our room was well away from the party and we were informed at reception and by a letter in the room but this did not hinder our stay at all. . The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was clean and heating was at a comfortable temperature. The buffet breakfast was good but could have been hotter. all in all a good hotel and comparable with others in the chain and York itself didn't disappoint we had a really great weekend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear PTely
Many thanks for your review, I am pleased you had a great weekend, your feedback regarding breakfast is appreciated and will be discussed with our Chef. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn York in the future.
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn in York when visiting the City but this was disappointing. The good bits...a nice warm welcome, pleasant staff, good parking, lovely hot chocolate in the bar and good breakfast. It is conveniently located and close to the Racecourse which is a nice area. However, The room was very tight, and a bit dowdy.....I am not big and I cd hardly get into the bathroom and close the door! The towels were really 'grotty' ....thin and grey instead of white. Horrid, horrid! The bathroom was sadly in a pretty poor state. The bedroom was clean enough and bedding beautifully clean and crisp with good pillows. I think maybe the fourth floor needs some attention! Certainly, some attention is required to the rooms which do not make for a pleasant stay? Will rethink the next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a decent sized and positioned room with good bathroom not too high up and for nice fluffy...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lyn M
Dear Lyn M
I am extremely sorry for the shortfalls you experienced during your recent visit to the hotel. Guest feedback from our loyal guests like yourself forms a vital part of our business and will be used in a constructive manner. When your travels next bring you to York please contact me directly as I would very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and will ensure your stay meets your expectations. On this visit I am pleased you still found our team to be friendly, had a good breakfast and the hotel to be in a good location with a large free car park.
With many thanks