“They couldn't have done more”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #36 of 45 Hotels in York
Leeds, United Kingdom
“They couldn't have done more”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I have just enjoyed a wonderful stay for our Silver Wedding Anniversary at this delightful hotel on the outskirts of York. From being met by Hayley in Reception to having dinner served by Kerry and an hello from Operations Manager, Tony, our visit went from strength to strength. Beautiful food and an excellent room. Many thanks for making it most special.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth bopoking
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to meet with myself and Helen before Christmas. I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay and the team made this special for you.
I hope you had a great Christmas
With my best wishes for 2014
Douglas Winfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Turkish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

clean comfortable hotel relaxing atmospheric but most important lovely helpful staff.The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was excellent would go again .A nice part of the country and if needed shops nearby.

Room Tip: we booked an executive double room the bathroom was very small.It may have been just that room but i...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear jack962
Thank you for your review, I was very pleased you had a relaxing comfortable stay and found our team to be great, I will be sharing your comments with them. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the hotel.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Friendly efficient staff, executive room at a very good price, pleased with the size of the room, and especially appreciated the eye level fridge, the very comfortable bed, and the non slip mat and grab rail in the bath. The bathroom was a bit small however. The evening meal was not very good but the restaurant staff were very helpful and reduced the bill. Breakfast was excellent.ŷ
My main gripe was the exorbitantly wifi, but I was assured that it would be changing in March. The sooner the better!
Apart from this I would be happy to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Book early to get a really good deal
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear seaspirit44
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor along with your feedback on the IHG review site, which I have also responded to. Your comments are very much appreciated and I was pleased to read you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed your breakfast. Guest feedback does form a vital part of our business and it is through constructive comments such as yours that we are able to improve the service we offer our guests in the future.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

The York Holiday Inn is located in a fantastic position, close to racecourse and within easy reach of city centre. Ample parking available.
Unfortunately that's where the compliments stop.
On checking into my room I found it to be in a poor condition. Cigarette burns in netting, marks on curtains, nails and sweet wrappers still left in room from previous occupants.
In a nutshell the rooms need a revamp and I would say the Premier inn on Blossom St offers far better value.
I will say a thank you to the prompt attention of the duty manager on moving my room and the complimentary bottle of wine but this doesn't detract from the fact the hotel is not up to scratch.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank HutchinsonI
Nick H, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Hutchinsonl,

I was very sorry to hear that the room you were given at first upon your stay with us was not acceptable and for this I apologise. I am pleased to hear that the duty manager was able to relocate you to a more suitable room.
I would like to thank you for your feedback as it is comments such as these that enable us to deliver improved services to our guests in the future.

Best regards

Nick Henderson
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Having recently returned from an excellent stay at the holiday inn York I just wanted to thank all the staff there for such a great stay. All staff were welcoming and very accommodating and when I told them the reason for our stay (anniversary) and wanted to do something special they went out of their way to provide us with a massive box of chocolates and fruit basket! They constantly went out of their way to ensure we were having a delightful stay and were excellent at helping us with information about things to do in York! Would definitely stay there again! Thanks again Holiday Inn!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear superstar12014
I was delighted to read that you had a great stay and the team ensured you had a wonderful anniversary. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back.
Congratulations!
With best wishes
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have stayed here so many times over decades and have been disappointed recently so have been staying in York city centre at the Cedar Court Grand when travelling by train and the Mercure Fairfield Manor by car. However, I thought I would try this Holiday Inn again as the Mercure was full and was yet again disappointed. Checking in was painfully slow, I was not recognised as Platinum, not greeted by name and having stayed here so often still asked whether I had stayed here before. The rooms generally need refurbishing, especially the shower, but the room was comfortable and clean. There is a good range of food on the dinner menu but for lunch the choice was more basic - and my guest's order was wrong. The wine was good quality. A major plus for this location is the plentiful car parking and that it is on a bus route into the city.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Nick H, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear theflynn,
Many thanks for your feedback, I am very sorry to hear that you had a disappointing stay with us, your comments are very much appreciated, these will be used in a constructive manner to improve the service we offer our guests in the future. I am pleased you enjoyed your wine and found our menu to your liking.

Nick Henderson
Operations Manager
Settle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We found the Holiday inn reception area really welcoming and Festive as we stayed in late November. The staff on reception were helpful and polite. When we got into the room the toilet flush was not working so the receptionist immediately found us a new room. The room was fairly basic but comfortable and clean and was a relaxing space. The hotel bar was modern and comfortable.
Breakfast was excellent! A good selection on the buffet and a good selection of fruit, cereals, pastries and pancakes. It was a nice touch to have a complimentary newspaper.
Overall a good stay! I will be returning!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Amanda J
Thank you for your recent review following you stay in November, I was pleased to read you had a good stay and the issue you experienced was quickly resolved. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn York.
Kind Regards