“Very Pleasant Overnight Stay”
Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I recently attended the "Auto 66 Club" annual presentation of awards, and despite being a resident of York, opted to stay overnight at this hotel, and was not disappointed.

Despite check-in being officially open at 2.00pm, other members of our party had travelled from further afield, and had arrived at the hotel at around noon. They enquired at reception as to whether they could use the car park before their official check-in time - however, the staff offered them the opportunity to check in there and then. This was excellent service, which far exceeded our expectations - in fact, other establishments would have charged an additional fee to do this. This level of service was reflected throughout our stay, in the restaurant, at the bar and the cleaning staff we encountered - all were very friendly, professional and did their job with efficiency and competence.

I shared a twin room, which was ideally suited to our needs - comfortable, clean and perfectly functional. The beds, and particularly the pillows were extremely good, and afforded an excellent nights sleep. The room was warm, without being oppressive, and there was no noise or disturbance (which can often be the case on a Saturday night in larger hotels). The bathroom was fine - spotlessly clean, with adequate towels and toiletries; while the facilities in the room - flatscreen television, kettle etc were all as you would expect; again, no complaints.

Bar prices were the average rate that you would expect for a hotel of this standard - just short of £4.00 for a pint of lager, while a glass of wine was quite steep. However, the bar prices appeared to be discounted later in the evening - perhaps due to the function being on?

Breakfast in the morning was a definite highlight, and was worth getting up early for. There was a good choice of cerials, fruit etc; juices; english muffins, bread (to toast, which only took about 30 seconds, such was the efficiency of the toasting machine); cold meats, cheese etc; and an excellent hot buffet selection - which was freshly cooked, plentiful, but above all, contained excellent quality ingredients, the sausages and black pudding were the standout items for me.

I will look forward to the same event in 2014, and will certainly consider using the Holiday Inn brand when on other trips. It's just a pity I live in York, otherwise I would certainly use this hotel more frequently. Please keep up the good work!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank YorkieLangham
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear YorkieLangham
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you had a comfortable stay and found our team to be friendly and welcoming and you enjoyed our fantastic breakfast selection. With living locally please call in anytime.
Douglas Winfield

Write a ReviewReviews (1,401)

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Good welcome from Reception , even a free drink ! Room was lovely big bed , big telly and at back of hotel with a good quiet nights sleep. Good walk into town , mind you after the BIG breakfast you need to walk it off .

Room Tip: Room facing rear car park will be quieter
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deannewton
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear deannewton
Many thanks for your review and I am so pleased you had a great stay with a good nights sleep and you enjoyed your breakfast.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

It has taken me some time to get round to writing this review as I am still deeply hurt and angry at Intercontinental Hotel Group for the way in which we were treated.Not may I add by the hotel staff who done everything possible getting us to hospital, but by head office.
My husband suffered a terrible accident after slipping in the bathroom which the hotel took no responsibility for and even accused us of causing it ourselves.
Anyway,the room was an executive double or king in order to get more space,which was okay,but the bathroom, omg ,don't even go there.It was so tiny and dangerous (hence the accident) The sink stuck out so much you would bang your head on it when bending down sitting on the toilet seat. If you closed the door you banged your knees on it.The bathmat had to be down at all times to catch any water coming from the over hanging sink and it was not non slip.BE VERY CAREFUL.
We have never received an apology from the hotel group not even a letter to enquire about my husbands recovery.Not a nice way to treat guests.

Room Tip: Dont bother to upgrade ,your not getting any better regards space
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BELLA46_13

Dear BELLA46_13
I am sorry you felt the need to post this review now, following your stay in February 2013. Contact has been made previously to address the incident. Seeking a final resolution to this rare and unfortunate incident is important to us all. As General Manager I was pleased to learn that the hotel staff did everything possible to assist you.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was our third stay at the Holiday Inn York. The hotel is in a great location and on main bus routes for city centre and further afield. We stayed in an Executive room which was very comfortable and with everything you would need for a short break. We ordered some sandwiches via room service. They were delivered very quickly and they were delicious and not too expensive. Breakfast was excellent with a range of choices including pancakes which you can make using the pancake making machine. The only negative with this recent stay was that on the Sunday morning there was an unacceptable wait for breakfast items to be replenished at the buffet bar. Guests were annoyed quite understandably. No fault of the waiting staff they were working flat out. Kitchen management need to address this issue.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 186534Sunlover
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear 186534Sunlover
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read you had another enjoyable stay. Its great to receive feedback from our regular guests, all feedback is greatly appreciated and please be assured your comments regarding breakfast replenishment will be fully reviewed with the chef and I would like to apologise for the delay you encountered on this occasion. I hope it will not be too long until we welcome you once again back to the Holiday Inn York.

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night as part of a long weekend nothing spectacular but then nothing wrong good breakfast and enjoyed a promenade walk into York on a crisp late autumn morning well worth a stay would go back

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank ian g
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear dealdownup
Thank you for your review and your recommendation. I agree it is a lovely walk in to the city with passing by the racecourse and going through the city walls.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I found the Holiday Inn York very mixed - The service, bar area and breakfast was very good but the room I had(Which was meant to be an executive room)was very disappointing.
When I booked in, the girl on the desk was welcoming and efficient and upgraded my room. When I got there I thought it looked dated the shutters on the window were novel but odd. when I went to bed at night I found the mattress needing replaced as I kept rolling in to the middle of the bed as it had a massive dip in the middle.
The service bar and breakfast were first class it is within a 20 min walk to the centre of York all it needs is some money spent upgrading the rooms and it would be a four star

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KenM553

Dear KenM553
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry for the disappointment you felt with your room, please be assured your comments will be fully reviewed. I was pleased to read that you had had a great breakfast and found our team to give good service.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We have visited York on 4 occasions during 2013 and always used the Holiday Inn on Tadcaster Road. The hotel suites us just fine as it is convenient for travel to the station and the Park & Ride" service.

Staff at the hotel are friendly and efficient with Veronica and George remembering us at breakfast and having a few moments for a chat! This approach always make it seem more personal that some of the other large hotel chains we have used in the past.

Again, we found the Bed Breakfast & Evening meal package to our satisfaction and good value for money. On one evening, just before Christmas the restaurant wasn't too busy, so we were seated near the bar area with live football on the television, I enquired if the screen in my vision could be turned off, as no other customers were watching and the obliged - there were plenty of other screens to look at if anyone wanted to watch the match!

Would I recommend the Holiday Inn in York? - Obviously yes based on our previous experiences at the hotel.

Would I recommend tourists visit York? - Not anymore I'm afraid. There is a controversial bridge closure scheme in progress on Lendal Bridge and visitors to York are being hit with penalty's for visiting the city. If you must go to York, try the Holiday Inn on Tadcaster Road, if you have a choice where to stay as a leisure traveller, try Stratford Upon Avon, their council are tourist friendly!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room near the ramp to the car park!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeterWTaylor

Dear PeterWTaylor
Thank you for reviewing the Holiday Inn York and for your continued loyalty. I will be sharing your comments with Veronica and George who will be delighted to receive a mention. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future. The Lendal Bridge closure is for a 6 month trial period, the council as yet have not made a decision as to if this will be permanent or not.