“Great rooms and service”
Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in York
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great rooms and service”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Great rooms and service. We booked two rooms on late notice and were hugely impressed that they allocated us family interconnecting rooms. The rooms were specious and comfortable. Bathrooms may need refreshing in due course as they looked a little bit worn. Good friendly service throughout and a tasty breakfast. All in all, highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear englishabdullah
I was pleased to read you had a comfortable stay and found all of our team to friendly.
Many thanks for your recommendation
Douglas Winfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Turkish first
Meopham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have stayed here before and not reviewed but my recent visit has confirmed my views. The hotel is comfortable, staff are generally welcoming and friendly and throughout I thought it was clean. As some previous reviewers have said the bathrooms are quite small and could do with refurbishing but they are clean. The room we had (myself and two adult daughters) was spacious and warm with an added bonus of being able to open the windows for extra ventilation. The blackout curtains did their job and we found the beds/pillows comfortable; an added bonus was the soundproofing. My daughters had just returned from NYC and we arrived very late so needed to sleep in and we were able to.
The breakfast on both days was excellent with a good range of hot and cold food even right at the end of the 'sitting'. We will be returning if we need to be in York again.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have the sun in the evening.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear AV1609
Thank you very much for your review and pleased you had a comfortable stay. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the hotel.
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in January 2014 for one night, had a room on the top floor (411 I think?) it was very spacious and clean. Was impressed with the standard of the room compared to other hotel chains. The hotel itself is great but a little far out so if your going out a taxi is a good idea. Breakfast was nice, staff were friendly, no complaints

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank xslpx
Dear xslpx
I was pleased to read you had a comfortable stay and found our team to be friendly.
Many thanks for your review
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night in February. Bar staff were great and could not have been more helpful. Bed was comfortable but the pillows were like breeze blocks. Woke up with a very sore neck the next morning. Also the Wifi charges are extortionate. You pay less in London. At least offer it for free in the public areas. Would stay again if i had to but would bring my own pillow!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear crouchie85
Thank you for your review and your kind comments regarding our team. I am sorry the pillows were not to your liking. We do offer in our rooms a choice of soft and firm pillows and feather pillows are available upon request. With regard to WiFi, standard internet is free for all IHG Reward Elite Members and I am pleased to be able to inform you that from July 2014 free internet will be available for all members. IHG Rewards is a free loyalty membership.
Douglas Winfield

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

West Yorkshire
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, room was a little dated, & bathroom very small & in need of refurbishment, but overall, very clean & tidy, main bedroom was a decent size, with a sofa & proper size flat screen tv.
Staff were great, very attentive without being annoying.
Breakfast was very good, one of the best hotel breakfasts I have had.
Overall, a very enjoyable 3 day stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear bobbob455
It was great to read that you had one of the best hotel breakfast and had an enjoyable break. Your feedback is very much appreciated and will be used in a constructive manner.
With many thanks
Cambridgeshire, England
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Throughout our stay, the team on reception couldn't have been more friendly and professional. They were very obliging at organising transportation to the railway station and ensuring our trip was being enjoyed.
The rooms are of a good size, very well cleaned and maintained. On a personal note I would prefer the room temperature rather less than 26 when I arrive as it takes it ages to get it cool enough to sleep.
Breakfast was very efficiently provided with the usual continental and hot buffet, but the staff were very happy to organise omelettes or poached eggs which came out of the kitchen in a timely manner.
And now the less good bits! The beds and pillow choices. We could not tell the difference between the firm and soft pillows, but neither was as soft as the bed. When I first sat on it I thought I had missed it and was heading to the floor. Unfortunately this meant that I awoke each morning with a stiff neck and shoulders.
Wifi - when will big chain hotels stop ripping guests off with Wifi charges? I refuse to pay £4 for 3 hours of internet usage. Once the infrastructure is in place it costs the hotel 2-3pence per room per night. If Park Inn can do it for free why not Holiday Inn? If the hotels/conference centres/trains in the US can do it for free, why not us?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Fen_Scorpion
Many thanks for you feedback, I was pleased to learn that you found our team to be friendly and helpful. I am very sorry our pillows and mattress were not to your liking please contact us before you next stay and we will endeavour to provide you with your preference. From July internet will be free for all our IHG Reward Members, this is our loyalty scheme which is free to join.
Douglas Winfield.
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. Checked in and out with Hayley on reception, she was great, very friendly and attentive. During our stay had spoken to Yolanda a few times, she was very helpful too.
Although very disappointed with breakfast service, as have tried to order breakfast in our room the first morning, I have been told at 9AM that as I have not pre-ordered in advance I could not get it. Knowing that this should not be the case as working for IHG, still visited the restaurant and carried my own tray up to the room.
Do I have to say we did eat in town whilst staying in York...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewtheview
Thank you for your review and your kind comments with regard to Hayley and Jolanta, please be assured I will share your comments with them as these will make a great impact upon their job satisfaction. I am sorry we were not able to offer you room service breakfast on the morning of your request. On the in room breakfast order cards it does state for orders to be placed before 1am. However we are flexible with this and do action extra orders in a timely manner, as a fellow IHG employee I am sure you can appreciate this.