“Not to H/Inn standards”
Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Check in, staff, breakfast all fine; however rooms are very disappointing... Jaded decor, paper thin walls, bathrooms not big enough to swing a cat in let alone anything else. Not the worst hotel I have stayed in but as a regular holiday inn user it was not up to scratch

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank oxfordquin
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear oxfordquin
Many thanks for your review, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, your feedback is very warmly welcomed and will be used in a constructive manner.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn York

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

It was so nice to have a bright, fresh room at the York Holiday Inn. We were traveling with a Globus tour so dinner was planned for us the evening of arrival: so nice! Breakfast the next morning was lovely! We came in tired and hot from touring, yet we were rested and comfortable at departure thanks to your cool and comforts ble accommodations!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Carrcabin
HIYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Carrcabin
I do hope you enjoyed your tour of the UK. I was pleased to hear the Holiday Inn York was able to make you feel calm and relaxed during your busy schedule.
Many thanks for your review.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Well situated next to the race course and a short walk/drive to the park and ride where you can get a bus into the city. Friendly and jovial maître d who took your breakfast voucher and said sit where you want which we did. Food was quite good breakfast wise I like the pancake maker and the fresh fruit but the cooked breakfast was a bit on the cool side which always is the case where buffet style food is served. Dinner was a bit small and expensive so we generally headed off to the fox and roman over the road. There is free wifi but wherever I went I couldn't get a signal so went back onto 3G. Again always the same in hotels they offer free wifi but don't deliver. Staff were fine.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bertthecert

Dear Bertthecert
Many thanks for reviewing your stay, your feedback is very much appreciated. I am pleased you found the team to be friendly and you received a warm welcome from our Breakfast Supervisor, I agree our pancake machine is great and very popular with everyone.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Went for meal in the restaurant last Sunday we had booked it for 6 00 for 8 people menus had already been placed on table so we could choose our order was taken promptly
The starters soon arrived and was very tasty soon followed by main course also good and then puddings also nice
The service was very good the staff very polite we'll worth a visit especially if u have a tastecard and get. 50 % off

Stayed: August 2014

Dear 413phil47
Many thanks for your review, Its always great to receive a review from a local resident, I am pleased you enjoyed your birthday celebration and you received great service.
My Best Wishes to you.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hi,
Just had a weekend away in York staying at the Holiday Inn Tadcaster Road. The hotel was very good nice and clean and a very good breakfast. The Staff were very welcoming and efficient and the rooms were very good. We did not have an evening meal in the Hotel but the food looked ok.
Just across the main road there are a couple of pubs within easy walking distance - the Cross Keys and The Fox and Roman where we had an evening meal in both. the Fox and Roman just edged it food wise and was very good with the Cross keys just coming in second. We recommend both as they were good value for money and as said previously - good food.
Did the usual touristy bits - Jorvic Centre and York Minster and a wander around York. You can get the Bus into York from just across the main road and it cost £1.60 much easier (and cheaper) than parking actually in York as long as you like a bit of a walk.
All in all a good weekend and would go again no problem and stay in the Holiday Inn.
Terry and Jean (Burnley)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EltelEltelEltel

Dear EltelEltelEltel
So pleased you had a good weekend in York and you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable with a great breakfast. Many thanks for your recommendation and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Many thanks

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I requested details of the bathroom facilities 8 days ago, to see whether or not I could book this hotel for my mum. Still waiting for the details requested. Very, very poor.

My first request by email received no response (except an out of office, informing me that the staff member would be back at work on the following day). My second email (four days later) did receive a response - from the reservations manager, who suggested that the first email hadn't been delivered (despite the out-of-office response), and informed me that she had ''forward your request to our maintainene to assist us with your request and will let you know''. Despite the promise, neither the sender of this message nor the 'maintainene' had responded with the details another 4 days later. So, I sent another email to enquire where the requested details were, and reasons for the delay. I was then advised that the message had been forwarded to 'maintenance' who would get back to me shortly.

Not satisfied with this response, I telephoned the hotel to hurry their response. The response to this enquiry was very poor - no apology. After requesting a time scale for the details requested, I was put through to the maintenance person. Apparently he had informed the reservations manager that the rooms were not suitable for disabled use, because the doors were narrow. It seems that he had therefore failed to provide the details asked for. When asked if an abled bodied person could fit through the door, he said that they could (in which case my mother would also fit through the door). Physical disabilities do not prevent people from entering rooms on foot.

Although they advertise as being accessible to disabled people, at least one member of staff doesn't seem to understand that all disabled people are not transported around in wheelchairs. Still waiting for the details requested... they advertise as being accessible to disabled persons but I'm still waiting to see whether they can live up to this claim. The service to date has been appalling. Wondering if this is typical of their level of customer service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
HIYork, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Sparr0wHawk
I am sincerely sorry for the communication problems you have experienced. Please be assured I am fully investigating the problems you have encountered. I would be most grateful if you can give me privately your contact details so I can personally assist you with your request. My email address is andrew.price@ihg.com.
Andrew Price
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just got back from the Holiday Inn today after a lovely few days with my husband and son. I booked a few months ago and only paid £146 for the 3 of us for 2 nights in an executive room with breakfast which we thought was good value. The room was clean and modern. The bathroom was small but did the job and the shower was very good. Breakfast was excellent - plenty of choice and replenished constantly. Would definitely book again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank donnawat77
Andrew P, Manager at Holiday Inn York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear donnawat77,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay and provide us with some excellent feedback to share with the team. I am very happy to hear that your family stay with us at Holiday Inn York met your high expectations.

I hope whilst you were in York you managed to see the many wonderful sights the city has to offer, and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the future.

Best regards,