“playing a game”
Review of Holiday Inn York

Holiday Inn York
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 31 August 2010

we go away with group trips normally and was a bit dissapointed with the food and rooms given to the group, felt like second class citizens . this time we traveled on our own so booked a executive room that included breakfast dinner complementery water and chocolate all in , the room was very clean and bright aircon worked well there was lots of towls,two bathrobes and toiletries, the bed was enormous with six pillows, two bottles of water but only one chunky kitkat per day . breakfast was good if you want full english but danish pastry/croissants were cold no coffee offered on the first day, didn't leave us alone the second day hovering with the pot of coffee. dinner was a disapointment allthough the portions were big, the cod chips and peas were dried up could not eat it. first day hot breaded brie was loverly and melting with sweet onion chutney, second day because it was so nice had it again but this time two uncooked wedges plonked on plate , first day large portion of sweet second day very small portion, two different prices for same drinks on both days, good service one day had to wait a long time second day, it was as if a game was being played out by the serving staff . we did enjoy our stay and loved york city but it looks like paying extra does not get you better food or service.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed 31 August 2010

This was a pure case of needing a bed for the night after a hectic retirement drinking session around the hostelries of the great city of York. To be honest I wanted a bed and not much more. On arrival the staff were very pleasant and promptly ordered me a taxi to the city centre. About £5 fare so quite reasonable. After the party I went to my room for the first time and at that point was not bothered what condition it was in as long as there was a bed! I found the bed extremely comfortable with choice of pillows and I had agreat nights sleep assisted by a modest amount of alcohol in my system. As is par for the course I found myself awake not long after the crack of dawn and my thirst was unquenchable. The tea and coffee basket got some stick and I rehydrated myself suitably over three hours or more. At this time I copuld appreciate my surroundings a little better and I have to say I was impressed at the standard of the room. I have paid much much more for hotels which could not hold a candle to this one. Very satisfied and a bit impressed. I would certainly consider this hotel for a weekend in this great city. I can not comment on amy other facilities as I was strictly room only but I imagine it is no different to all hotels with grand prices at the bar and small hiccups here and there which prompt those niggle pickers to mark it down. Trust me this was a pleasant experience which I would gladly expand upon when next I visit York.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2010

The holiday Inn is a pleasant 20 min walk into York and just off a main road into York making it a suprisingly quiet location. We had a room at the back overlooking a large car park which was even quieter. Noting the size of the hotel other guests were well behaved and one could get a good night sleep. The hotel may have had a refit as we found it comfortable and modern with good eating and drinking facilities. The staff including reception, cleaning, bar and breakfast staff are excellent (George especially). Breakfast is a buffet style with plenty of choice.
There is a really good pub opposite with real ale and good food and excellent bus services into town at about £3.70 a day-taxi about £6 each way. Bus recommended though as very regular and efficient. This is a well run busy holiday inn. The location is fine and nothing to worry about, rooms are spacious and overall a safe bet. York itself is a special city with plenty to do as couples or family's. We had a meal on a friday at ate o clock. Small restaurant with great singer in the background (on Friday's)-well worth a booking as food was also good. Loads to see and do and some nice old pubs to settle into at night if not too tired.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2010

good base,room clean,staff friendly,,internet 15 pound for 24hrs,,very extortionatn!!! breakfast cheap sausage,,rest was ok,,as we booked on internet and payed cheaoer than other guests, we seemed to get a different dinner choice,which i have never had before in other hotels we have stayed in,,was ok,,but the mash was packet,,uuk!

Reviewed 9 August 2010

Stayed at this hotel many times, it's a great location for the races, as you can walk across to the course. The rooms are clean, small bathrooms but functional. The sheets and towels tend to smell very strong of starch or detergent? and the bed was a tad on the hard side but other than that we always have a very nice stay. Try the Fox and Roman pub across the road, and Tesco a little bit further down do a great mega cheap breakfast!York is a wonderful place to visit what ever your taste.

1  Thank AngelinaWakefield
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We booked this hotel as a base for our 3 day exploration trip to York and would definitely recommend it. It is situated on the main Tadcaster Road which leads right into the city itself. If walking, it takes around 25 mins to 30 mins at a slow pace - if you dont fancy walking, the hotel will happily call a taxi for you and this costs just £6.00 into the city - or if you fancy taking a bus, there are many bus stops en route and a family all day ticket cost us £7.40. The bus will drop you off right outside the train station where you can either walk the few steps to the city walls or you can even join one of the open top 'Red' city sightseeing bus tours. These are great value and you can hop off and on all day for £18.00 for a family - great fun for the kids as you get ear phones to wear to listen to music and the commentary - the earphones are brand new and come wrapped in their packaging I hasten to add!!!

We were glad we didnt stay in the city centre as it was very busy early evening into the night with hen and stag parties walking around - which is fine if you dont have young children to witness the goings on!!

We ate in the hotel for the first night and the food was lovely - service excellent and the staff cannot do enough for you.

The rooms are typical of a Holiday Inn - double bed with the 'pillow choices' of soft or firm - a sofa bed (which isnt too comfy but okay for 2 nights). The bathroom was a tad on the small side, but as we didnt go to York to stay in the bathroom, it served its purpose! The room was clean & well equipped with tea & coffee.

The hotel lobby& restaurant / bar area is lovely - cant understand why people say outdated - it is very modern and trendy - lovely stone floor with contemporary lighting & decor??? It may have been decorated since the previous reviews - who knows!!

There is plenty of onsite parking and we didnt have to use the car at all.

If you fancy a walk, you can wander on to the race course as there are a couple of turnstiles leading off the main road onto the grounds.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again when we go back to York.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank BurdettMidlands
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I stayed here after a conference. I didn't pay for the room myself so I cannot comment on value for money. The room was basic but adequate. I was disappointed that a conference hotel only offered VERY expensive internet in the rooms.

I had dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Both were fine but I was a little disappointed by the vegetarian meal offered.

If I was booking a conference I would only choose this hotel if no others in York offered free internet!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business