“Not up to usual standard”

Marks and Spencer Cafe York
Ranked #454 of 916 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I went to the M&S cafe recently with my husband just to have a light lunch. It was half term week so I appreciate it was a busy time, but when we ordered two jacket potatoes we were told it would be a half hour wait! As, by this time we already had our coffee we didn't think waiting half an hour for a jacket potato was acceptable. Instead we went to the ready made sandwich section - I was again disappointed - I do not eat meat and the only sandwich available was egg (which I don't like) or a cheese ploughmans on gluten free bread. I decided to go the cheese (hobsons choice) but it was dry and not very full of cheese!
I do think M&S could have made provision for the fact it was half term and somehow oranised their kitchen to accommodate this busy time. I expect I will go back at some time - probably just for coffee, which is good.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stopped in for a hot drink on rainy day.

The luxury hot chocolate I ordered was delicious, with plenty of whipped cream and marshmallows. I like the little biscuits you get with any hot drinks.

I think the cafe could have been cleaner, basically needed someone sweeping up etc. also wasn't impressed to see bins being emptied, then customers being served drinks with the same gloves on.

1  Thank laurenzo99
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Quite chaotic design and layout. Food good but trying to find out how the toasted sandwich got toasted was a bit challenging. They had run out of sparkling mineral water and there was no offer to bring some from the food hall. The staff were polite and helpful though. On the day we visited there was a medical emergency and no effort was made to screen the patient from the diners whilst the ambulance was called. I have to say it was not a patch on my local store.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I was disappointed with M&S cafe on my last visit. My friend and I shared a sandwich and two teas. The teaspoons where stuck together with food. My cup had a large chip,and a common fault with a lot of M&S cafes the tables never seem to be cleaned. Is this due to a lack of staff or a lack of training? I am getting to the point that I will not bother going soon. The sandwiches are too cold, therefore there is little taste and whereas the filling used to go to the crust, this is no longer the case. Shame as it was always a pleasure and you always felt you got value for money.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I love meeting friends here instead of in the usual cafe's and coffee shops. As the food is M&S, it's fab stuff - try the carrot cake (beware of the calories though!) it's wonderful. The staff are brill, and though sometimes (during the busy periods) you do have to wait a while for warm food, it's worth it.