“Unimpressed”

Marks and Spencer Cafe York
Ranked #44 of 57 Coffee & Tea in York
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Unimpressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This place lets M&S down. Cramped, tired and overpriced. As for plugging their own food as available in the food hall, I hardly expected anything different. Why bother to advertise, folk aren't stupid and can work it out for themselves. I have had better elsewhere including their biggest competitors. Won't be going back.

1 Thank Steve A

Hatfield, United Kingdom
“Needs a good clean”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This operation needs a good clean in more ways than one.First getting staff to observe strict hygienie practices when handling both cultery and food,also to make sure the floor areas were kept clear of dropped food.The staff operating the tills on our visit were clearly lacking leadership and each of them were working to their own agenda irrespective of the consequences. A ccordingly there were no cups,but they were awashed with saucers,then no biscuits to hand,teaspoons and so it went on.NO team working whatsoever and these staff were NOT new,they had been on this operation for sometime.Product availability was best described as poor,with the luxury seasonal mince pie being replaced by standard one taken out of boxes of six from the food hall,but still top price being charged for an infereior and much smaller product.The views should not be allowed to blur a generally poorly run operation.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank WILLIAM H
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit for the view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Although I have been visiting York for over 40 years I had never eaten in the cafe at Marks and Spencer, although I regularly eat at other Marks' cafes. It was an absolute delight to sit by the window with high quality food and enjoy panoramic views over to the Minster. A wonderful find.

• Visited November 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Not up to usual standard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I went to the M&S cafe recently with my husband just to have a light lunch. It was half term week so I appreciate it was a busy time, but when we ordered two jacket potatoes we were told it would be a half hour wait! As, by this time we already had our coffee we didn't think waiting half an hour for a jacket potato was acceptable. Instead we went to the ready made sandwich section - I was again disappointed - I do not eat meat and the only sandwich available was egg (which I don't like) or a cheese ploughmans on gluten free bread. I decided to go the cheese (hobsons choice) but it was dry and not very full of cheese!
I do think M&S could have made provision for the fact it was half term and somehow oranised their kitchen to accommodate this busy time. I expect I will go back at some time - probably just for coffee, which is good.

• Visited October 2013
Perth, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hot chocolate. Hygiene?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for a hot drink on rainy day.

The luxury hot chocolate I ordered was delicious, with plenty of whipped cream and marshmallows. I like the little biscuits you get with any hot drinks.

I think the cafe could have been cleaner, basically needed someone sweeping up etc. also wasn't impressed to see bins being emptied, then customers being served drinks with the same gloves on.

Visited October 2013