“First visit and NOT the last”
Review of The Graduate

The Graduate
Ranked #658 of 874 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Drink upstairs, chill in the living room, or sit at the kitchen table downstairs and watch the game. Awesome pub in York with something for everyone. Plenty of screens showing Sky and BT Sport. Great food for sharing, from southern fried chicken, to barbequed ribs and burger n a drink. Downstairs, you'll find living room armchairs, little cubby holes, and a kitchen table for 10 complete with your own screen and a even a sink! Free printing available, with USB a plug sockets everywhere.
northeast
“First visit and NOT the last”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have been going to York for years and years and have always bypassed The Graduate as we have always gone to a department store for breakfast but a toilet was desperately needed hence the visit.

Whilst walking through we glanced at the menu and for £3.99 decided to give the breakfast a taste. WOW ...2 sausages, 2 bacon, 2 lovely crunchy hash browns, 2 eggs, 1 big mushroom, 1 grilled tomato, beans and a toasted muffin, which made a nice change from toast. There is a smaller breakfast and other choices available but we went for the big 'un. It was served on a big plate so the food was not all cramped on a small plate as it is in a lot of places.

We had breakfast before 10am and we would normally have lunch at York as well but we were full up all day. Our next snack wasn't until the evening.

The music was loud for early morning but I asked the young waitress if she'd turn it down just a notch and it was done within minutes, no problem.

Will definitely be visiting again :)

• Visited May 2014

York, United Kingdom
“Not even as good as death warmed up. A proper pig sty!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Oh my god what a terrible place. After asking a bar staff member ( young long dark hair) for a beer, I do apologise for actually interrupting your conversation from your last nights events. Seems you can't take the pace as you were the most miserable sour faced person I think I've met. Not to be outdone by first impressions we ordered food. I ordered the towering inferno burger with its hot spicy sauce. The burger was cold, the presentation was awful and there was no spicy sauce. I don't eat cold feaces, so I was hardly going to complain and ask them to warm it up so I could eat warm feaces. I got my money back and enjoyed the best part of my meal, looking out of the window at some workmen digging a hole. It was certainly better than the muck I was served. Looking at the reviews it appears that the majority of people leaving feedback have also received a less than warm atmosphere, less than warm food and clearly if they preferred to eat sewage could quite happily do so without paying. On that note upon going to the loo that is apparently inspected every hour, the inspection sheet in there had not been signed since 11th April. Maybe the food hadn't been collected out of the U bend in the first place. The place is a joke

6 Thank 802671wu
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Rude and horrific service”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I went to York on the 12th of April for a girls day out, I went into the Graduate and there was myself and 6 other ladies. On my first trip to the bar, the barmaid was quite rude, I asked for cocktails, and her reply was 'it'll take ages' she seemed reluctant to make them but did with several sighs . We had cocktails and several bottles of wine between our party. We were all merry and having fun but by no means drunk! I went to the toilet and tripped up a step, I went down onto one knee but at the time was holding the bannister so it was not a big deal A friend was with me and confirmed this. I went into the toilet and on coming out of the cubicle a door man and barmaid were waiting for me in the toilets.I was asked to leave as I was too drunk?! I was not allowed to wash my hands, get my bag or coat and was frog marched to the door. Now I was clearly not too drunk to be in the pub and was in shock at the situation, I left without any issues. My friend asked why I had been thrown out, the barmaid had disappeared And the doorman refused to answer her. My friends got my belongings for me. But the more I think about this situation I am appalled at the lack of customer service and lack of safeguarding customers within their establishment. As everyone knows there have been several unfortunate deaths through people going missing whilst drunk in York! And I have to say I am lucky I was not too drunk and that my friend saw me being escorted out, otherwise I would have been left in the street without a coat,phone or my wallet! So who knows what could have happened. Whilst In The Graduate I witnessed a young girl hugging a toilet for around an hour with her friends holding her hair and I also saw a big group of girls doing a drinking game and throwing themselves on the floor whilst screaming, yet this seemingly went unnoticed or should I say was ignored! I can only think it was due to the rude barmaid taking a dislike to me. I have been into The Graduate every time I visit York but would not again. I would also advise others to steer clear as it is obvious as a business they do not appreciate there customers.

2 Thank Raffington
York, United Kingdom
“poor service”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

we visited bank holiday monday .first met by female staff member who could not be bothered and who did not listen.ordered food which we asked for no ham in sandwich and on brown bread.it came with ham and on white . when we pointed this out was told there was no brown breed so how does this explain it coming with ham and no chips? we sent it back and got a refund ,the chicken burger was ok and the bacon and beefburger was very greasy . we should have sent the lot back and left . i live in york and would not use the graduate again as there are a lot better places to eat .very disappointed.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank jonaddnett
Kendal, United Kingdom
“A bad decision!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We chose this place to eat with friends partly because other places were booked up. What a mistake! There was a limited choice of drinks at the bar and also with the food. There was no vegetarian option and no pizza dough so we had to opt for the burgers which were thrown together on a plate. Needless to say we didn't bother with dessert!
The waitresses were quite attentive but I did get sprayed with table cleaner as the table was being cleared.
We will visit York again but never set foot in the Graduate!

2 Thank SarahW929