“Terrible food, rude staff, avoid!”
Review of The Graduate

The Graduate
Ranked #629 of 882 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Drink upstairs, chill in the living room, or sit at the kitchen table downstairs and watch the game. Awesome pub in York with something for everyone. Plenty of screens showing Sky and BT Sport. Great food for sharing, from southern fried chicken, to barbequed ribs and burger n a drink. Downstairs, you'll find living room armchairs, little cubby holes, and a kitchen table for 10 complete with your own screen and a even a sink! Free printing available, with USB a plug sockets everywhere.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible food, rude staff, avoid!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Visited the graduate on Saturday which was also on the same day as the races...thus meaning the pub was busier the normal. We had already attempted to eat at two similar restaurants prior to the graduate however they had stopped accepting walk ins. With this we opted with the graduate, certain staff behind the bar appeared to have little experience and you could only feel sorry for them working on such a busy day. I ordered my food, confirmed a second time with the barmaid what I had ordered and sat down. Food arrived and they brought out a meal that no body on our table had ordered, the young polite girl took the food back, next thing somebody who looked but didn't act like a senior member of staff stormed over with such an attitude to tell me 'that I'm wrong and this is what you have ordered' to which I explained what I had ordered. To my surprise she again told me 'no this is what you have ordered' and that if i wanted the other meal I'd have to pay more, I produce my receipt to see that the girl on the bar has put the wrong meal through, now I could accept that and be willing to pay the extra, because at the end of the day people do make mistakes but I was that embarrassed to be shouted at by a member of waiting staff who spoke to me rudely and aggressively that I just accepted the food that by this point was cold after being taken back and forth, ate and got out as quick as possible.

I am fully aware this is a chain pub, and is more focused on jaeger bombs than food quality. But for what I paid on Saturday and the service and food I got was awful.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank luke d

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Visited on 30.5.14 for a friend's birthday with our children. Ordered food to be stood waiting at least 10 mins to pay as another member of staff wiped my order in this 10 minutes I had to listen to a member of staff swear numerous times....hardly professional! !! My friends 12 yr old ordered his and the rest of his familys order and got his change to find he had been short changed by £10 my friend went to see bar staff who had served her son to be told by the staff member that her son was a liar so she asked to speak to manager who said he would check tills the £10 appeared the manager claimed it had fell on the floor! ! The member of staff didn't apologise so we asked for our money bk the staffs attitude including the manager was discusting and we will never visit the place again

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Worst pub I ever did encounter...”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

So we are in York, and decide to stop at a pub that's part of your chain called "The Graduate" for dinner. I sent my son to the bar with £30 , too pay for the meals. He comes back with £4 odd change , it was £10 short.

So I send him back to the bar to get recertified , the barman that served my son calls him a liar. They wasn't even giving receipts out, I know what cash I passed my son.

So I go to the bar and the barman says " Have I not charged you enough?" . I said "Nope you have over charged me by £10 , then insulted my boy by calling him a liar I want my money back"

He refuses, so I demand to see the manager, who I ask to empty all his tills to go count up. He does so in a room else where.

Then comes back with the £10 they short changed me. The manager reckons it was dropped on floor near till, so now by some miracle money can fly. He didn't count it up at bar, he was in a room away from the bar.

So anyway I was glad he gave me the money I was owed, I also demanded the jumped up barman came and apologised personally to my son for calling him a liar.

The managers response "Your not getting an apology" I see the barman and shout to Emma, there he is but he scarpered out back sharpish. Think he knew he was going to get it, I demand the manager drag him outside to say sorry. The manager still refused, he was rude, obnoxious and uncooperative.

So I then demand my £20 back, that I just paid for the,food I ordered. I asked for the managers name to , so I could put a complaint In which he also refused to give. But I got my £20 back, although saying sorry would have cost the pub chain nothing.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank charl5416
“Waste of money”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Went for a family meal and it took 40mins for food to arrive. My burger was salty and burnt and my chips were over cooked cheap frozen chips, which I only seemed to have the scrag ends. The mother in law was served over cooked microwave mash, which was inedible. Also took my daughter to the toilet which was a nightmare. Most of the seats were broken and the doors didn't lock properly. The worst bit was the smeared faeces on the wall. That really made the whole experience special! !! Will not be going there again or be recommending this place to anyone.

Northern Ireland
“Cheap bar food and drinks”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have went to The Graduate often for drinks and a few times for lunch. The food is cheap and is perfect for a casual lunch or dinner. Never had any issues with the food and the staff have always been polite.

• Visited May 2014