“Not much fun”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I think you have to really enjoy the type if food on offer to rate this restaurant higher than average. We ended a trip to York with a vist here with our two children. Although a window seat, we felt annexed in a room that felt empty with rather dated striped green wall covering and nothing of interest. The waitress was initially attentive and the food reads exciting, but you need to understand the combinations and I was disappointed with the large watery bowl of whatever I had chosen.
We spent a good 15 min waiting for a member of staff to enter the room so we could ask for the bill. The man who eventually brought over the payment machine stood and said not one word so there was absolute silence as I was presented first with an "add gratuity" screen. This persuaded me on what is a rare occasion to say "no".

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Visited on Easter Saturday for a early dinner. The dining area was functional but clean. Staff friendly and welcoming. I wanted duck gyoza served as a starter but you can't have starters as such you have to order dishes for a starter then order your main courses later. Strange. Anyway they were tasty with plum based soy sauce. I ordered Teriyaki chicken donburi Well it came and I ate it but it was totally unexciting. It was an average size chicken breast grilled but not a lot of teriyaki sauce on a bowl of bland white rice with a few leaves and sliced carrot. I have had better from M&S in fact I have cooked better myself. My partners chicken Katsura curry at least had plenty of sauce. Unfortunately it did not arrive until I had just about finished my meal. To the credit of the staff they did recognise this and without prompting it was deducted from our bill. However given the quality of my main course I would not rush to eat here again.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I visited yesterday with my mum, we were seated for lunch and it was fairly quiet though it got busier while we were there. We ordered drinks (good choices) and just a starter each as we only wanted a light lunch. My mums latte was brought only luke warm but they happily topped it up with hot water, they didn't offer to remake it but as we don't like waste that isn't a problem.
Our dishes were brought to the table separately with no acknowledgement why which is always annoying, but they were very nice! I had vegetable dumplings and my mum had the squid, both were really nice!
During our visit we were served by 3 or 4 different staff members but when it came to paying the bill they vanished but we eventually payed. I wouldn't say the staff were rude but I wouldn't say they were friendly, they all seemed a little 'off' but that's their problem, I had a lovely time with my mum!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had dinner in this pleasant and upbeat Japanese restaurant. One can tell from the menu that the food is not truly Japanese, but the real dishes didn't taste bad. I had miso soup and teriyaki chicken rice with kimchi. It's not the best cooked Japanese-style food but quite tasty anyway. The service was efficient and pleasant. The environment in the restaurant is not the usual romantic kind of dining place. It's more like upbeat, urban, mid-range quick dining place. I would visit this restaurant or its other branches again.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Called in on a busy Sat tea time and had to wait 10 mins, but the food came quickly and the service was efficient and friendly. New pulled pork gyozos were yum, as was the pad thai. Free wifi which allowed us to watch the Ffrance v Ireland game on the iPhone. Staff were happy to let occupy the table for a while after we had eaten until the game finished.