Avondale Guest House
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$101
Hotels.com
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$172
US$145
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewswhisky porridgeb bguest houseviolet roomcity centrebishopthorpe roadlittle extrastop floorparking permitfull englishfamily rooma wonderful stayselection of cerealsroom was clean and comfortablebiscuitsbed and breakfastyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Stayed at the Avondale for 3 nights, Carole was very friendly and helpful giving us a quick guide on the area while leaving us with some leaflets. The rooms were lovely and very homely. The hotel was very clean, and the facilities very good. Plenty of tea, coffee, hot chocs and biscuits in the room. Bathrooms also were well stocked with facilities, it even had make-up remover! Something I always forget. The B&B is a short walk from the City walls and town. The breakfasts were fab! 6 choices! Not to mention the cereal, yoghurts, toast and fresh fruit! We tried three between us and each of the delish! Well done to Carole and her staff for running an excellent B&B, one of the best! Will def stay here if, when we return to York! Thanks Carole!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here for two nights with my mum and Carole was very friendly and her knowledge of area was great. I looked at trip advisor to book a room and was not disappointed one bit. If ever visiting York again this will be my first call. Thanks to Carole and staff for yr warm hospitality :)

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Carole, the landlady, is very friendly and runs an excellent B&B. It's walking distance from the train station, she prepares a superior breakfast every day, and thinks in every detail for the guests' comfort. Our room, on the first floor, overlooked Bishopthorpe Rd. It was rather small but spacious enough for two medium build persons, with a good shower and a very comfortable bed. I would firmly recommend it to anyone visiting York and would love to go back someday.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Having 4 days to spend in York, I was lucky enough to get a single room at the Avondale Guest House. Though on a busy-looking road, it was very peaceful. I found it perfectly located, within walking distance of all the major sights, and with a Sainsburys 30 seconds away.
I loved the breakfast, having porridge, salmon and eggs every morning. If I wasn't such a health nut I would have had the full English, which I tried on the first day - filling and scrupmtious.
Carole was a great host, and gave good advice on where and what to visit. One of these recommendations had me scrambling over Brimham rocks for hours - my best morning out!

In short, if I ended up back in York I would check availability here straight away as it was great value for money, and would recommend this Guest House to friends.

Carole, thanks for the pleasant stay.
Sam Hoffman

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2011

From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble. The room was clean and comfortable. The Breakfast was the best I have ever experienced, lots of choice. Ten minutes walk into the city centre or a tour bus stop over the road.

Our visit to York was the first time, but we on managed to visit a few places, 3 days we were there, but cannot wait to go back again, and will definatly book this B&B

Room Tip: Room at front of house, noise levels ok.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family