“Just what I needed”

Ranked #45 of 193 York B&B and Inns
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Just what I needed”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I was lucky to find the Avondale Guest House when I made a flying visit to York to collect my son from uni. Carole kept in touch and was flexible about my arrival which was hard to predict due to a long drive to make sure I had no problems checking in. She then made me feel very welcome and had time for a chat about life, children etc. which I appreciated after such a long journey on my own. My room was lovely, I slept like a log and a shower in the spotless en-suite was a good start to the next day. Little things like the kettle fitted under the tap in the sink (I've stayed in other guest houses where you had to fill it with a cup), a decent sized mug for a hot drink and a vase of fresh flowers added to the overall effect. I had to leave before breakfast but if I go back I'll make sure I make time to get the complete Avondale experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
accrington
Reviewed 24 June 2013

ive been going to avondale for 10 years plus and will continue for many more years . its hard trying to find accomadation where you are treated as well as you do by carole of the avondale . there isnt anything carole does not know or will do for you ,she is a fountain of knowledge . the avondale is situated approx 15mins walk to the citcentre one way and 15 mins walk to the famous racecourse the other direction . there are cafes,two indian restaurants a local supermarket an award winning chip shop a bookmakers and quite a few pubs near by .at the avondale you have a choice of 6 cooked breakfast as well as fruit ,toast ,yogurt etc.the avondale is always clean tidy and warm .do not miss an opportunity to visit carole at the avondale and like myself you wont go anywhere else in york.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The owner Carole and staff are very nice and always helpful. Breakfasts are excellent with whiskey oatmeal and choice of other delights. We really enjoyed our stay. If you come into town on the train, it is about a 25 minute walk pulling a suitcase to Avondale. Carole can email you directions. Fortunately, central York is much closer and an easy walk once you are there. We ate one dinner at a pub she recommended- Mason Arms. The atmosphere and food were excellent. There are also grocery stores nearby. Also, leaving the castle area, we walked along the river to the Millenium bridge and crossed it to come back to the B&B.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Stayed here with work colleagues for one night. Welcome was warm and friendly and the bedroom was comfortable, clean and with all the amenities I would want for such a trip. Breakfast was lovely and I would definitely recommend Avondale to tourist, traveller and businessperson alike, especially as it's only a 15-min walk from the station and centre of town.

Room Tip: Mine was the room at the top - called Violet I think.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We received a very friendly, warm welcome and Carole took her time to show us up to our room and share her knowledge of the local area. We had the rose room and it was spotlessly clean, warm and comfortable with plenty of space for the 2 of us and lots of little extras. We stayed for 2 nights and our breakfasts were beautifully cooked with plenty of choice and the lady serving was very polite and friendly. The Avondale is ideally situated and just a 10 minute scenic stroll into the heart of York. Overall we had a great weekend and would highly recommend staying here. Hopefully we will return one day.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I loved everything about this B&B.
Great location, just a short walk into the city and not too far from the train station either.
Accommodation was clean, comfortable and provided everything you could need (towels, hairdryer, toiletries, TV)
Carole provided a huge and tasty breakfast which set me up nicely for the days exploring. Wendy who served the breakfast was really lovely and cheerful, I felt really cared for. I also thought the price was great for what you get and will certainly return to stay here when I am next in York

Room Tip: I sayed in the room called Primrose. I was told it was a small double but it didnt seem small to me.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Paula07770
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed staying here - on business so only for 1 night. Carole recommended a fantastic real ale pub to meet my friends in. Didn't do breakfast justice but delicious! Room was comfortable and shower was hot and powerful.

• Stayed April 2013