“Lovely room, fab breakfast!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avondale Guest House

Avondale Guest House
Ranked #45 of 205 York B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely room, fab breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I really enjoy Carole's hospitality - friendly and helpful. I hadn't been to York in many years and she helped remind me and inform me of all the great spots to see and what to do. There is a very helpful binder of information compiled on York in your room, I referred to it a lot for the few days I was there.
I walked everywhere. It's a 20 to 30 minute walk to the centre of York. Very easy to get there, Carole gave me two helpful maps.
The b&b is immaculate, my room was wonderful. I had the Violet room on the top floor. Double bed, en-suite, goodie tray with tea & coffee, digital alarm clock, nice flat screen tv. I was very happy here.
The Violet room in the back is very quiet, and I'd certainly request it for next time. Well, it was quiet until the neighbours with screaming children arrived. This is a house and there is no soundproofing of course. Nothing you can do, you're pretty much at the mercy of the consideration of others in a b&b. It's family friendly, that's great but bring your earplugs. I am glad I left the next day as the screaming and carrying on went on and on. It was like I was in their room.
I slept like a log for the first two nights as it's quiet but the third night was a wreck... but that's how it goes sometimes! So if there's no screaming kids, you're in for a treat.

Breakfast was great. I haven't eaten so much in ages! There is a great selection of breakfast types, English, Veggie, Mediterranean, Continental - a lovely choice, it's terrific. I must say, the fresh coffee was amazing too.
I highly recommend this lovely establishment! Carole absolutely is dedicated to your happiness during your stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rodenbach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Finally getting around to write about my stay in late June 2013. It was wonderful! Carole is such a great host and waited for me for 4 hours because my bus was stuck in a huge traffic jam, and then the battery on my mobile died, so I could not update her on my arrival anymore after some time! The single room (Daisy) was small, but really cute, and space used very thoughtfully. Lots of complimentary toiletries. The breakfast selection (you choose the night before) is really amazing, and the quality is excellent! Lovely bright dining room, too. I walked to the city every day, about 15-20 minutes, but there is a bus stop right in front of the door, too.
Excellent value for money, and when I come back to York (which I definitely will, it is such a great city!), I will definitely stay at Avondale again, Carole! (Will try to post some pictures later.)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We had a lovely 3 night stay here. Firstly the welcome from Carole was very warming and informative, she provided us with a lot of information and recommendations.

Our room was cosy and clean but small, and the en suite only had a shower - no bath. You choose from a fantastic selection of breakfasts the night before, All were cooked perfectly.

There was plenty of information and leaflets in the rooms and in the entrance hall so we could plan our stay accordingly.

The location was excellent, and only a 15 minute walk into the city, attractions and local restaurants.

Would certainly consider staying again if we decide to return to York.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I wanted to take the time to write a review as I was delighted with my stay at the Avondale Guest House. I first stayed here in 2006 with family and upon my recent trip around the UK I decided to make York and overnight stop over. I was glad to see that the service and welcome was as warm and helpful as I recalled. Carole is a very friendly and took the time to go through the sights and places to visit to make the most out of my brief stay.

The Guest House itself is very clean, comfortable and tasefully decorated. The room I stayed in was "Daisy" and I found it to be more than adequate. Breakfast was delicious and I highly recommend the whisky porridge. I noticed that the breakfasts had won awards and all I can say is well deserved!

Overall I had a wonderful stay here in what is already a magnificent city. I was only sad that I couldn't stay longer. I do hope to return soon and I definately know where I will be staying! Keep up the good work Carole.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
East Anglia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

On booking our room we were asked if we could confirm our time of arrival if possible so we said we expected to arrive at 4 o/c and confirmed this by text on the day. We were then asked on the day if we could make that 5 o/c so we agreed quite happily. Much later in the day Carole texted us to say that she had been held up in traffic and would be a little late. Unfortunately her traffic jam did prove difficult and we gained access around 6o/c, Some other guests who had not kept in touch were waiting on the doorstep for quite some time wondering what was happening, So I would strongly suggest you keep in touch throughout the day re. arrival times etc as requested.

Carole and her staff are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable
The generous breakfasts and the dining room are very nice and there is a lot of choice.(whisky porridge tasty)
Our top floor family room with additional single bed (Rose) was spacious enough for us and fairly cool in the hot weather with an additional fan if necessary. (Carole carried my case up the stairs for me which was much appreciated)
The room was clean and tidy but decor a little tired and the comfortable bed smelled a bit musty and the sheets and towels a little worn.
The shower had a slightly unpleasant odour coming from it which disappeared after we had both had showers but did return again later in the day.
There is a brisk 15 minute walk to the city or a longer, pleasant amble along the river.
There are a number of convenient local shops and cafes just up the road
The parking is a short walk away in the next street in allocated on-road parking spots.
Our room faced the front and although it’s a fairly busy road it was quiet.
In conclusion, we were satisfied with our stay but would try somewhere else if we returned to York

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
carolekaleda, Owner at Avondale Guest House, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Oh dear, firstly thank you for taking the time to post a review, any snags can only be addressed if our guests let us know. I can only apologise for what seems to have been a disappointing stay for these guests. With regard to arrival, I am here 7 days of the week to greet my guests, however on a Sunday when I can, I try to go walking. I make every effort to contact all guests to check times and to be here for their arrival. This day was an exception and certainly not a rule! With regard to the decor this was done just last year, sheets and towels, mattress covers etc are renewed regularly. I would like to offer my sincere apologies to these guests but would like to reassure other travellers that we are very diligent regarding the standard of the rooms.
Hull, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

good location nice easy stroll into the centre . we were away with friends and booked two rooms both were ensuite and clean . our room was very small indeed not really a double but adequate . very friendly and helpful owner ans staff and the breakfast was excellent thoroughly recommend the continental option it was really special . we had a lovely relaxing week end .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We booked two rooms, one room with two twin beds for my teenage kids and another room with a double bed for us. We got a smaller upper floor room while the kids got a second floor room with nice tall ceiling and large window. Both rooms had ensuite bathrooms and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfasts were fantastic, Wendy does a great job and can cook up something to order as well. My kids had the whisky porridge (without the whisky) and my wife had the black pudding on Wendy's advice. It is a quick 15 minute walk into the town center and Carole had great information on what to see and where to eat. Carole was also kind enough to allow us to store our luggage since we were taking a later train. I highly recommend the Avondale and would stay there again if we are back in York.

One thing I found when checking out is that Carole has here own website for the Avondale where bookings can be made directly without the booking charges incurred by other sites.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family