“Good location, worst hotel bed ever!”

Travelodge York Central Micklegate
Ranked #42 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Hotel is in a good location for city centre. Short walk to shops and bars.
Rooms clean enough (although the shower drains smelt awful!) bedding etc was clean and fine. Only thing was the bed! Slept in a family room with 3 friends. (Room 312) 2sharing a double bed and me and a friend on single pull out bed each. The single beds were SO uncomfortable!! They were really springy and I felt like I'd slept on Brighton beach! Pebbles may have been more comfortable :p
Other than the bed the hotel was fine, pricey for a travelodge bt expect that being central location.

• Stayed: August 2013
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge York Central Micklegate, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Kirsty_m_c1983, we are very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the additional beds in your family room. All customer feedback is invaluable to us and we will ensure that the hotel is made aware of the comments that you have made.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Me, my partner and 2 friends have just stayed here for 2 nights, the booking in went well, the rooms were clean - but not to perfection - yet the beds were comfy which Is what we mainly wanted! In a perfect location, even being straight across from a nightclub we didn't hear much - PopWorld, aside from the night me and my friends got thrown out of there for no reason/which we expect from being 'outsiders'! - we had no problems.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The location of the hotel is approx 5-10 mins walk from the station, which was handy as I came by train.
Check in was very quick and easy and the staff were very polite.
My room was on the 1st floor and overlooked the main road, outside the front of the hotel. The room was very basic (TV, kettle and air con), but this is a budget hotel. The bed was comfy and the room was clean. The bathroom was also very clean and the shower was a big walk in shower.

I slept with the window open on the 1st nigh, as it was warm and the air con was loud. However the noise from the people and traffic kept me awake until after 3am. this is not the fault of the hotel and i kept my window closed the next night and slept very soundly.

i didn't order breakfast initially, but did order one for the 2nd day whilst at the hotel. Breakfast is a help yourself buffet style, with a selection of cereal, cooked, toast etc. the selection was sufficient, the dining room was clean and we had no problem getting a table.

we used the bar on a couple of occasions and were served quickly and the staff member was polite. the bar had a sufficient selection of drinks.

all in all, this is a budget hotel, which is handy for town and an ideal base for people visiting York for a few days.

Room Tip: close the windows at night, if you are at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Would avoid this hotel at all costs, I was in a "double" room which equates to 2 small single beds, I pushed them together but they just drifted apart and if you get near the edge you just fall out. The room was not cleaned once in the 5 nights I was there (business trip or I would have moved elsewhere), the beds werent made and the bathroom not cleaned either. The only thing was they supplied clean towels each day and that was all, I had to go down to reception each night and ask for milk as this was never replenished.

No bedside cabinet and no set of drawers, just a desk with a shelf underneath, the bathroom door had holes in it which had been filled in but looked awful. The wardrobe is a bit of wood with metal poles sticking out - mhhnnmmmmm not my idea of a wardrobe.

The breakfast was basic and as it was buffet style you could help yourself, the bacon was the thinnest I have ever seen and didnt taste of anything, the sausages were basic.

When I went to check out the boy on the reception desk pointed at a box, I repeated I wanted to check out and he said "put your card in the box" they also wouldnt hold onto my case until I finished work.

All in all I would never ever stay here again. To add insult to injury there is a lovely photo outside showing a beautiful bedroom all nicely decorated, not sure where it is but certainly I didnt see it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge York Central Micklegate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Janicimo, we are sorry to learn of your disappointment and that you have experienced a room that falls below our usual high standards. Our house keeping staff are expected to service the room during your stay, replenishing any essentials as and when required and changing sheets after the 3rd night of your stay. We would also expect our staff members to do everything they can to make sure your stay is enjoyable and should offer assistance and be helpful at all times. Please be assured that a copy of your comments have been raised with the hotel staff to remind them of the importance of customer service.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Had a nice stay here, right near centre of York, Room was Clean although basic we did not have any problems. Staff were Helpful and polite also Nice to have the Spoonies Next door serving meals, snacks and drinks with good service. Bonus was only 5 Minutes from the centre.
Stayed for a weekend in Nov/Dec for Christmas Market time.

Room Tip: Worth having family room at no extra cost as it gives you the bed settee to sit on.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here one night in May. Had difficulty finding the hotel and initially went to wrong Travelodge. Reception staff were fine however the room was extremely basic and smelt strongly of disinfectant. The duvet was very thin and the bed not very comfortable. Standards of cleanliness were questionable especially in the bathroom. This is the first Travelodge I have stayed in for several years and I have to admit it was a bit of a let down from what I remembered. I understand the need for hotels like this to be very functional and minimalist however it felt too functional and it was not that cheap. I was pleased to be staying only one night.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge York Central Micklegate, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

We’re really sorry to hear about the concerns you have raised Alank S. We do expect all rooms to be clean and it is regrettable that you found the bed to be uncomfortable. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution so please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

This is roughly our fourth or fifth stay here and the room which we had (222) was noticibly showing its age. The bed mattress I think had been recently used by a visiting rugby team and needs to be chucked out. The phrase "this has been disconnected for your safety" on a notice fixed to the bathroom radiator initially seems like a generous action but on hindsight begs the question over general electrical safety (and the prospect of a chilly winter in the bathroom). The F word is also inscribed in the grouting of the tiles.
However, the staff are great. The location is great. Parking is good if you use the excellent secure one next to the Barbican (£7 for 24 hours which includes £2 discount from the hotel). I would not consider the food unless I was chained to a (faulty) radiator. The is an excellent JD Wetherspoons on the campus serving good food from 7 am. The price was good. But....but....this is our last stay in a Travelodge, particularly this one until it has a refurb.

Room Tip: Wait for the refurbishment.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John1956

Dear John1956, we are sorry to learn of your disappointment. We can confirm that we have recently freshened up the whole hotel with a makeover and put a brand new ‘Travelodge Dreamer’ pocket sprung king-size bed in every room. Lots more of our hotels will also be getting our new look this year. However we would like to understand further the points that you have raised, please use the Contact Us section on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to investigate this further.