“A real 'find'”

Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At Filmore and Union we have a huge passion for fresh, vibrant and healthy foods. Energizing breakfasts; inspirational lunches; wholesome suppers all made daily within our cool relaxed setting. F or dinner join us in our upstairs restaurant and maybe try the seared salmon with chilli, lime paprika, lemongrass and ginger on a bed of harissa potatoes and lentils all made with love and care from our open kitchen. Reservations advised. All day fabulous Sunday brunch, kids menu, fully licenced & Wi-Fi. The street level Deli offers bagels, salads, delicious juices, hearty soups & pastas as well as healthy cakes (even our chocolate brownies!)
Wistow, United Kingdom
“A real 'find'”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

How refreshing to find a restaurant that offers food you can really enjoy...no limp lettuce nor re hashed chicken with chemical bread! instead we found real 'FLAVOUR' and it is good for you too!
Friends and i visited this little gem of a place and enjoyed not only the food and atmosphere, the staff were lovely too.......well done and thank you for a 'refreshing' change.

• Visited June 2012
Filmore_12, Guest Relations Manager at Filmore and Union, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Thankyou so much for your lovely review you seem to have really understood what we are about ,our food is prepared every day using fresh vibrant ingrediants and we are so happy that you have appreciated it , please come and see us again soon !

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, thoughtful service, bright decor”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Having been impressed by the tripadvisor reviews we decided to come here for a pre-movie dinner, and were not dissapointed. The food was exquisite, with fresh produce used to create palate-pleasing, visually appealing dishes. The service was fantastic, always willing to help, explain or amend, and made us feel very welcome. Without informing them that we were in a bit of a rush, food still came fresh and quick, and we were able to pay before dessert (which was incredible) so that we could leave shortly after.

All in all highly recommended, and probably the best new restaurant in York.

Thankyou for your great review we really appreciate it , we try our best to accomodate any requests even if its porridge at 7pm which we have done for some-one , please come again and see us !
York
“Nice food and drink, but cramped and tad overpriced”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I tried out this cafe on the recommendation of friends who had visited recently. As a resident of York, I like to try new places when they open.

Just had tea and cake. Both were absolutely delicious. The menus seemed great too, and everything looked lovely and very fresh, but it did seem a little expensive for the portion sizes.

My main criticim of this place is the cramped space, both downstairs and upstairs. Tables have been rammed in to get the largest number of people in as possible. We were sat upstairs, and were sitting near the 'open kitchen'. We were say on a large table and two of us had our backs to the kitchen. We hadn't realised this when we sat down, but it soon became apparent when we were asked to move every time a waitress needed to get in or out. WHY OH WHY was the table set for 5, when it quite clearly was a table for only 3?? The other two chairs were completely blocking access to the kitchen!!! I feel this is greedy. Had we not already ordered our food when we realise where we were sitting, we would have left.

As I say, the food and drink were nice, but the whole place was very very cramped, and on a humid day, with candles lit everywhere in the building (It was 2pm in the afternoon?!!!) it made for quite a stuffy atmosphere.

There are so many other great places in York, that I feel money is best spent elsewhere.....

3 Thank DiscoDivaYork
Filmore_12, Public Relations Manager at Filmore and Union, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Hi I,m sorry you were not entirely happy with your visit , when we designed the layout of the tables the table you were sitting at was actually going to be a table for 2 but as it has the most incredible view of the minster we were asked so many times to add extra seats on it that we now keep the chairs there and funnily enough it is actually the most reserved table because of the view. We are a small quirky restaurant and our customers love to chat to the table next door and in fact at busy lunchtimes our larger tables are for sharing and some great relationships have been forged over a relaxed lunch . I,m really happy that you enjoyed your drinks and cake and please try us again if you are in the area .
York
“Nice place, poor value”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I went here with my friends last week. The decor is great, staff friendly and food is pretty good. So why am I only giving 3 stars? Well I would have given 3 1/2 if possible because although my previous points are true, the value in my opinion is not good. The smoked mackeral pate was small but not rediculously priced around £7, but my friend's chicken salad was miniscule for around £11. A place to go for cake but not for a meal I would say. Such a shame as this is my kind of food, but just not worth the price charged. I don't mind paying for good food, but value is important.

• Visited May 2012
4 Thank aidstar
will p, Owner at Filmore and Union, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Everyday we talk to our customers and value there feedback. There have been many changes to Filmore and Union since we opened only 9 weeks ago and those changes have helped us build such a fantastic local following and receive such hummbling feedback from the many tourists we have had the pleasure of serving.
We have then, taken a look at the portion size of our chicken salad and although we have only had positive feedback from this dish and our many regualrs still contiune to order it we have increased the overall quantity of the dish.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Very unhappy not to have found this place sooner. My girlfriend and I (both Students at York) went for dinner. The seabass was perfectly cooked and the Malay Curry was very good as well. An imaginative and fresh choice of sides including Quinoa and basmati salad, sumac potato salad and chilli and garlic broccoli were all done very well. Lovely atmosphere in the restaurant and perfect decor really made for a great dinner out. Went back for breakfast the next day and thoroughly enjoyed the best muesli I've ever had. House wines from 13 pounds were pretty reasonable. Will definitely be coming back for the great food and the relaxed but cheerful service.

2 Thank butchersapprentice
Hi we are really pleased you found us hope to see you again !