“Great location, good value, if only the reception staff could smile once in a while.”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

My partner and I decided on the Queens hotel as she has stayed here before, it is good value compared to other central York hotels and the rooms are a good size with both baths and showers.

The location is fantastic. Right next to the river and a short walk to all the attractions of York City Centre. Our room was fine although the whole place is in need of a bit of a facelift. It was extremely hot and airless in our room and the window would only open a few inches. We asked about the possibility of changing rooms but the hotel was fully booked. So we asked for a fan as it really was so hot and airless that it was uncomfortable to spend any length of time in. The reception staff (please smile) said they would try and get a fan for our room if one became available. One did not, however, become available, so we resorted to borrowing one that a member of the cleaning staff kindly left on the landing between the stairs.

The breakfasts were very good. A wide variety of choices and well prepared. Just a shame the juices and milk were not chilled.

It was a VERY busy weekend in York - absolutely heaving with hen and stag parties, very drunk people and even a man who had clearly consumed a bit too much Sam Smiths throwing himself in the river in an attempt to catch a duck!

I'm glad to say that things settled down again on the Sunday and York returned to its usual self.

So generally a pleasant, good value stay. We would come to the queens hotel again if we could get a room with a river view and a window that opens next time.

• Stayed: July 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,756)

Reviewed 28 July 2013

The good things are that the location can't be beat. It's a five minute walk into town. We were a party of three children and one adult. The room was a good size and the bathroom was great. Bath filled up in no time! The hotel is dated but very clean. Outside in the evening it gets noisy when the pubs finish and then again when the clubs end. The children kept complaining about the swearing!!! It could be any busy town centre on a weekend.

My main gripe is the breakfast. I paid upfront for the room for four of us with breakfast. Even when I checked in I confirmed that breakfast was included. That should have been it. The breakfast is ok by the way. Nothing exciting, when I left I was told I owed £18 for the three children. This to me is just a complete rip off and mis selling of the room. We stay in loads of different hotels and never in my life have a had to pay for young children to eat breakfast. Especially after paying the B and B rate. It put a real dampner on our holiday.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 24 July 2013

After I checked in, went in lift to floor 3, into room and had a quick look round I thought this would be a very poor experience.
But it's really not been that bad!
The initial impression was of a tired (very scruffy) hotel with guest notices just stuck on scuffed and marked walls to a degree giving an impression of a student accommodation block. Paint peeling in bathroom and just generally scruffy and on a hot night, no air con and a window that only opened a little and looked onto an airless courtyard!
I then tried to use wifi! That needs upgrading, too slow to use and that's what would prevent me staying here again!
The rest of it was really not that bad especially given the price I paid! The heat and lack of air con was uncomfortable so maybe worth avoiding in really hot weather.
With just a little thought and a few quid spent this could be quite good, a bit of staff training wouldn't go amiss along with measures to make public areas, bar and corridors more atmospheric, would really help.
It wins my award for best towels in any hotel I have stayed in!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We wanted a reasonably priced hotel that was comfortable and within easy walking distance of the city centre. We got just what we wanted.

The hotel is next to the river, on the opposite side to the city. A bridge over the river into the city is a 2 minute walk away and the city centre is 5 minutes walk. The room we had was spacious with a good sized en-suite bathroom. The bed was huge and comfortable. We were on the ground floor close to the reception and it was a little noisy in the early morning. It might be worth asking for one a little further away, maybe on a different floor, if this could be an issue for you.

We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but the small breakfast room looked clean and functional. There is no restaurant for dinner at the hotel but that's no problem as the city centre is so close and full of lovely places to eat.

Room Tip: A room away from the reception area may be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed at the Queens Hotel by way of a Living Social voucher and booked at the last minute. When I rang, the lady in reception was very helpful and booked us a room and confirmed parking straight away. Parking is £10 a night extra but well worth it as it's under cover and secure.
All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and our room on the top floor (3rd) was very comfortable and we had a lovely view over the river from the velux window in our room. I have no idea what the rooms on lower floors are like but ours provided everything we needed, was clean, had a comfortable bed, tea and coffee making facilities and a flat screen TV. Although we were happy with our room, the big advantage of this hotel is the location and the secure parking at a very reasonable cost. It's right in the centre of things, and not having to worry about finding a convenient place to park is a huge bonus. Breakfast was really good and the service was very efficient. If you want a comfy room for one or more nights in order to experience what York has to offer, then I really can't fault this hotel. We will certainly return, even at full price, but then I suppose that's what hotels are hoping to achieve by issuing discount vouchers. It works for me!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Booked here very last minute as our original plans to stay at the moorland house went belly up!! Could fit us in at very short notice, even though only 2 rooms were left! One of which was by the entrance and the other by the kitchen...we went for the one by the kitchen and although we were close by we really couldn't hear any noise either early in the morning or late at night! Lovely clean room with all the facilities you need, very central location & lovely helpful staff! We used the NCP car park for the first night as there was no availability, but we managed to squeeze in for the second night, and it was well worth the £10.00! Lovely staff, would definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Me and my sister stayed at this hotel from 11th to 14th July. Contrary to many of the reviews, we found it almost perfect. From the check in at Reception to the farewell speech on our coach on departure by a member of staff, it was a delight - our accessible room on the ground floor (I am in a wheelchair) was very convenient, the food was delicious, the staff very helpful, and the location could'nt be better. I could almost say this was one of our best holidays ever - helped by the gorgeous weather of course! If I could pick out one of the staff for a special mention it was 'tiny' Cath who was a bundle of energy considering her pint size. She was so kind- thank you Cath.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family