“Excellent location”

Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in York
Corbridge, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed at the Queens a few times now we usually look at web sites for best price (trivago etc) The hotel is right on the river and near all bars, restaurants and shops, its an 'up market Travel lodge' but much nicer and has a good bar looking over the river. Disabled lift from street level.
Car parking under the hotel flooding permitting! Or other car parks near by. Lush breakfast buffet style.

Room Tip: ask for riverside.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

The good bits first- great location by the river. Walking distance to all York attractions and easy to find. Underground car park £10 a day - beware its small so pre book. Hotel generally clean. Family room was ok but not a lot of room. Breakfast was good. Main problem was the unfortunate smell in dining room. Caused by recent flood after torrential rain. Not their fault but not much effort to freshen the room up. Also bedroom was boiling hot and window opening was restricted so no fresh air. No aircon but not even a fan to keep the air moving. All in all average at best. Price perhaps reflected it but once you add breakfast and car parking it's suddenly not that cheap !!

• Stayed August 2013
Muharaq
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Very good location, big size room, Spanish guy who was at reception was helpful, but I didn’t like the bathroom, there was a problem & I asked to fix it several times but nothing happened. I liked my room No. 66 which was river view & big.

Room Tip: River view rooms are nice
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ksayar
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I have today booked a room at the Queens Hotel York through Booking.com for the 7th September at a bargain price of £58 per night. What i did not know is if there is no availability on your chosen date the site automaticaly substitutes this for another date. To my horror i received an email confirmation for Thursday 19th September 2013. I rang Booking.com straight away but was told it was a non refundable booking and that my contract was with the Hotel, i have spoken to the management at the Hotel who informed me that they would not give a refund or even a credit.
The original price of £58 was obviously 'Bait'

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bevanson12
Samantha A, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am sorry that your reservation experience via booking.com was not a satisfactory one. The Queens Hotel does not have any control over the actual booking.com website but I am assured by my area respresentative that there are many opportunities to view the details and terms of your booking prior to confirming and paying. I have also looked at the booking process myself and feel that everyting is above board. The booking you made was a 'Non Refundable Booking', the terms of which are clearly stated on the website. The benefit of this type of booking is that you have the lowest rate available because you pay at the time of booking and it is non refundable which reduces administration. Many Hotels offer this type of booking to maximise occupancy at a lower rate on the days with more available rooms, unfortunately we do not offer a high number of this type of booking on the weekend and our Saturday night availability is a minimum two nights. Those clients who wish to have a little more flexibility with amending their booking or cancelling before the deadline will be charged the higher rate, 3 days prior to arrival as opposed to the day they actually make the booking.
Again I thank you for your review and hope my comments clarify the booking process via booking.com.
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I came to York for a romantic weekend and this hotel almost ruined it! The only positive is the hard working staff who are friendly and pleasant. Too bad they have no support from the management.
My room wasn't very clean and I informed the receptionist about this she apologised and informed me that the cleaning staff are very understaffed on a weekend due to their hours budget! I then asked to speak to a manager to further discuss this and was shocked by the response I received. "Sorry our managers don't work on the weekend".
WHAT!!! An establishment that does majority of its trade on the weekend and the managers don't turn up, I find this completely unacceptable!
Also the night manager likes to have a nap so make sure you get back to the hotel before they lock the doors at 11pm.
Finally I feel this hotel is in serious need of an update outdated rooms, outdated food and drinks and a VERY small breakfast area, be prepared to wait.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am so sorry that you encountered some problems with your room during your stay however I would like to assure you that you were misinformed by my Receptionist with regards 'their hours budget!' We do not have an hours budget and my team were fully staffed throughout every weekend in July with the exception of one day where staff sickness left us short staffed. With our staffing levels in mind this leaves no excuse as to you having a problem with your room, for this I do apologise. I would also like to assure you that I am the only Manager in the Hotel who does not work during the weekend, I have a perfectly able management team including my Restaurant Manager, Head Chef, Head Housekeeper and Head Receptionist who are more than capable of dealing with any issues which arise during my days off. Again, I am sorry that you were misinformed by my Receptionist.
With regards your comments about my Night Manager I would like to clarify that for added security our front door is locked at 11pm. Along with security checks around the hotel he may be serving at the bar or on Reception and therefore it may take a little time to answer the bell which our clients are asked to use to gain access. I am sorry if you had a short wait to have the doors opened for you after 11pm.
Again, I do thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Queens Hotel.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed just one night at the Queen's Hotel on 1st August. The weather was exceptionally good and the staff provided us with a fan for our room. Although parts of the hotel are a little 'tired', the welcome was good and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We had a great view of the river from our room and a table and chairs by the window so that we could appreciate the view.
The breakfast was self-service and plentiful.
Secure parking was handy below the hotel and well worth the £10 for 24hours. However, I might be apprehensive about parking there in poor weather conditions as it is prone to flooding. I would stay at this hotel again. It is so convenient for the city centre and all of it's amenities.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Co.Durham
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and it hasn't changed. The good points are still good...good sized rooms, location and friendly staff. The down side, the breakfast serving area is cramped and gets very crowded on a morning, no air conditioning in rooms and ....the pillows!!!! If pillows droop over your arm they need replacing see my pic they weren't drooping they were bent double!! Change the pillows and Ill be back!

• Stayed August 2013