“Queens Hotel-deserves more stars. Great hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Queens Hotel
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in York
Scarborough
“Queens Hotel-deserves more stars. Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We've just had a lovely stay at The Queens. We've stayed here before a couple of times and it has never disappointed us. Just can't understand why it only has 2 stars! Who needs a swimming pool, gym, sauna, etc when visiting York - there's so much to do in York itself there's no time for those things! We find this hotel better than some 4 stars we've previously stayed in York. Close to virtually everything in York centre. Very clean throughout and our twin room was spacious, warm and peaceful. The bed was extremely comfortable. We finished the evening with a couple of drinks in the Riverside Bar which was really relaxing with lovely river views. Our breakfast the next day was very tasty and plentiful - lots of choice. We will be booking again very soon.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tiggywiggy1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We booked a two night break after returning for a Christmas cruise, thinking it would be a great way to end 2003. We arrived to a warm welcome and told where our room was. When we entered the room it was not much different to any other standard room.
It had a good view, Tea & coffee, the bed seemed ok in fact it was fine for the purpose we needed it for.
When it came to wanting a shower / bath I tried to run the bath but the water pressure was so low it would have taken too long and the shower wasn't much better, I told reception and they sent a youn waiter to try and help, he couldn't so we just settled for a wash.
We went for dinner which was New years Eve and it was really nice, and well presented.
I returned to the bedroom to use the loo, when I closed the door it was then I noticed the dirt behind the door, I took a hand towel and rubbed it round the skirting's, bath, and loo, only to find apart from dust/ dirt/ and hair. I felt sick at this and took the towel to reception and told the guy what I had found He was very polite and apologised and said he would show it to the manager when she returned after New Year.
My wife wanted to know what I was up to and after telling her she wanted to give the bathroom a clean. She took a second towel and rubbed everything she could find, That towel was just as bad.
I went to reception again in the morning and showed the receptionist the second towel, I informed him I was taking the towel away for analysis . A woman who told me she was the head house keeper asked what was wrong. I told her and she said I have 78 rooms to clean they can not be perfect, she then told me I was not taking the towel out of the hotel, my reply was try and stop me!
She then followed up with a statement which made me furious. ( if you not happy get out and don't come back.
I have been in touch with the manager since and also the hotel owner to let him know what was said and the filth in the bathroom.
To date all I have heard is a few emails from the manager trying to cover the misunderstanding as she put it.
The hotel is perfectly situated, in general it's well presented, and the food is very y very good.
But the Customer service and cleanliness of this hotel is well below an acceptable standard .

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are nicer good views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank davelUk

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

stayed at the queens for 2 nights everything was great ,large room ,very quiet, staff very good especially on reception ,we have stayed here before and have never been disappointed, hoping to stay again at next newyear if not before

Room Tip: room 25 very quiet over looking quadrangle above breakfast room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Wrexham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Me and my partner booked this hotel with high expectations well we were very disappointed the bathroom was dirty the walls were filthy we was not told till we booked that we had to pay for parking witch was a fair distance away because the hotel one was flooded (understandable) but paying full price for parking is a joke some of the staff gave a bad impression and wasn't very approachable and getting woken up 8am every morning with the work men in the room above was a real downer for this hotel I would never entertain stopping here again

• Stayed January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here for New Year break and had a really lovely time with friends. Had room above entrance in side street with side river view but the only noise we experienced was from the geese! Room was a good sized double - the bed was really comfortable! I enjoyed the food - bit of a shame though that they don't do Irish Coffee had to settle for a Baileys instead! Would I stay here again .... Yes.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
chazney55
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Got a double room with my partner and it was an adequate size. Staff were ok on the front desk. Paid an extra twenty pounds for a river view room which was a waste of money, but the worst thing about this hotel is the noise. We were woken up at 8am with a workman hammering in the room above and the walls are as thin as paper. You could hear everything people were saying in the room next door and it was like having sky multiroom as you could hear each adjacent rooms tv channels as clear as day. All in all if you have 50-60 quid a night to spend then go to a premier inn. Don't book here! Not recommended

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank chazney55
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights between Xmas and New Year as an extended family get together. There were 14 of us altogether staying in 5 rooms. We had booked the evening meal and breakfast on all 3 nights and the food and service was excellent. Bar prices were dearer than pubs but I have had worse..... although I found the soft drinks to be especially expensive.
Cleanliness was pretty good on the whole although our bedsheet did have a suspicious looking stain in the centre of it.
The hotel is right against the river and there was a flood alert on our 2nd day so we had to move our cars to the local NCP car park. However, the hotel refunded our payment and they had an agreement with NCP that meant we paid a discounted rate. The rising river level was quite a topic of conversation during our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family