“Lovely hotel shame about staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Queens Hotel
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in York
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel shame about staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

A gift from my daughter a night at this lovely hotel with beautiful views, first impressions were all good until at about 2am the fire alarms went off causing panic as apart from the shock nobody knew if it was real and people were in corridor in their Jamas trying to find out. Turns out someone was smoking in their room and eventually we were sent back to bed. Next morning we were groggy and not the only ones by the comments at the lovely breakfast. I went to reception because it didn't seem right that the entire hotels alarms went off not due to heat but smoke in a smoking bedroom, in our house we have heat detectors and it seemed daft that in a smoking room there were smoke detectors. Whilst enquiring to a member of staff who could hardly bring herself to look up at me, some new guests who were arriving got half a story and started saying things like best be safe than sorry and would she prefer to burn - obviously not but if also prefer not to get woken up with such a fright that my heart rate doubles . The staff showed no support towards me whatsoever and I left it as they clearly had no interest in my comments. When I got home I rang and asked for the head office contact details or managing directors name and I was told that there wasn't one and the highest person there was to speak to was the lady who had been uninterested stood behind the other uninterested lady I was talking to. Shame because I would have liked to return but wouldn't if same staff were there.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Droitwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights at the Queen's. I seriously didn't expect such value for money. Wonderful clean comfortable room overlooking the Ouse. Very impressed with the room, food and hotel. Excellent position for the town. Will be back Thank you

Room Tip: ask for the sea view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank podrache
Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights and was once again impressed by the friendly, helpful staff and general cleanliness. Really good size double room, comfortable bed and clean bathroom facilities. Excellent buffet breakfast, well cooked with plenty of choice. Quite a few other guests complimented the staff while we were enjoying the plentiful food. Great location for exploring York. You do need to book the hotel car park separately but this is well worth doing. Care if there is a flood risk as this can include the car park! Can't understand others moaning on this as there are warnings on the website, at the car park, and by hotel staff who take a tel number so they can make contact if flooding is a real concern. We've stayed here previously and have already booked another return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MarilynK631
Neath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights and was very impressed with the quality of everything. The room was really nice, a good size and very clean. The food was good especially the breakfast which was a help yourself buffet, one night was carvery night where the quantity of meat was huge and excellent. The staff were helpful at all times and couldn't do enough for us.
We will definitely come back as there is so much to see in and around York which we couldn't see in such a short time.
Well done to you all at the Queens.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mcjeep
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Just returned from staying 4 nights at the Queens, It was an organised coach trip so I was apprehensive about the star rating.

Just returned from staying at this hotel for 4 nights. It as an organized coach trip
so I was apprehensive because of the star rating. I had an excellent room overlooking the
river. The bathroom and bedroom were exceptionally clean. The food was really good, great value for money, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. I will certainly be returning
if not on a coach trip under my own steam. You have a great team there with you Kim. Many thanks for making my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: try and have a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Cornwall UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I booked this hotel specifically because of their private car-park, since I had valuable and heavy equipment which I did not want to have to remove from the car overnight after an exhausting day. (I don't know why they didn't point out that their car-park flooded when I booked, they DID leave a message the day I was working up there but it was far too late for me to change anything by then.)
The evening I turned up they were unsympathetic that I had to drag everything out of my car, into a lift and up a staircase into my room (4 journeys). They then gave me a 'ticket' for a city car-park, which didnt work in the machine and most definitely did NOT give me the discount that they promised, so I ended up paying £17.80 for overnight parking. They blamed NCP, who in turn blamed THEM for handing out worthless tickets! The manageress of the hotel had the bearing of a battleship ready for war, the shields were up and the guns were loaded. No allowances at all were made for the fact that I didn't get what I booked, (hotel with parking space) or at the price I booked it (around £60- actually ended up costing me around £80 with the parking). The manageress actually uttered the words 'well you shouldn't book a hotel by a river when its raining!!' Absolutely appalling attitude, whilst I realise it's not their fault the river flooded, they handled what must be a common occurrence REALLY BADLY, and made me as a guest, feel like a bloody nuisance! DO NOT rely on being able to park here!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

worcestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

superb hotel overlooking the river, lovely comfy rooms with hairdryer, large bed chairs and table , shower gel pump and handwash provided, beds made rooms cleaned daily, food best in town, brill service, top quality food, lovely dining rooms, comfy lounge overlooking river, staff friendly can not do enough for you

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends