“Great service and outstanding river views”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in York
bridlington
“Great service and outstanding river views”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I think this hotel deserves better credit than it is getting on trip advisor, We were very lucky to get a river view twin on bank holiday weekend, and we weren't dissapointed. Room 20 was a good size, well decorated and very clean. Breakfast was plentiful, very hot ( including the plates) and the buffet was promptly replenished even when the dining room was full to capacity. I also liked how you could take your drinks and sit in the bar side of the restaurant overlooking the river after your breakfast giving guests chance to mingle and chat and staff chance to clear the tables for those wanting a late breakfast.
If I had one gripe it was the fact that there is no left luggage service or ticket offered, or indeed a secure room, just being told to "come behind reception and leave your case against a wall" is neither professional nor secure. Anyone could take any case and I feel for the reception staff with people mingling behind them when they are trying to deal with guests or handling cards and cash. My suggestion would be to use the cleaners room to store them on the ground floor, the door was always open s we passed and looked an untidy mess, not good with guests passing regularly. But that is only a small point and I really is the friendliest and best located hotel I have used in the city.

Room Tip: Get a river view if it is available, well worth the supplement
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
washington, tyne and wear
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We returned to this hotel again this year, and was not disappointed. The hotel was clean, modern and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choices. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would recommend and we would definitely go again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sanddunes47
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Ok so it's not the Hilton but then, we didn't pay Hilton prices. Booked the hotel primarily for its location, which was spot on (didn't see another hotel closer to the centre). We were pleasantly surprised, the room was lovely, the staff very pleasant and the breakfast was plentiful and tasty. The only negative was the noise outside the hotel which woke us very early (6.00 am) on both mornings but it's hardly the Hotel's fault.
All in all, we had a great stay & would definitely return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gauntys
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We are a family of four with 2 small children and we stayed here for 2 nights. We had a family room with a river view which we knew we would have to pay a supplement of £15 a night, however it was worth it as the view was really lovely overlooking the river. The family room was very reasonably priced and more than adequate for all our needs. There were some areas that needed slightly updating but overall the hotel was clean and had all the facilities we required. To be fair the river view completely won me over and the hotel is so reasonable priced and value for money that I would definetely stay here again and would recommend it to others. Lastly the location is terrific especially if you are coming by train as were we as it is so close to the station , and so close to everything in York. A lovely family mini break and we will stay here again!

Room Tip: Location and value for money and a nice clean
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a family room for one night at this hotel for a reasonable rate for midweek. On arrival it seemed very 90's travelodge in the lobby, a theme continued throughout the hotel we found.
The room itself was a double with a single in the corner rather than a traditional double with sofa bed arrangement. Dirty stained walls and mouldy window window nets met the eye first. Torn bedding and a well used mattress didn't offer the most comfortable of nights. Note, there is one available plug socket in the room at the other side of where the beds are positioned.
On asking for assistance with medical requirements for my stay, the staff were very unhelpful and had no empathy for my situation. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for the customer service!
All in all, I won't be returning to this hotel and have come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. Work harder and book a better hotel for when you're in York.

Stayed April 2014
Peterlee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Nice city centre hotel with a great location right on the river and next to the bridge. Plenty of pubs, restaurants, shops and attractions nearby.
The hotel was reasonably priced, especially on Easter weekend - we requested a high floor and river view but would not have paid extra for these. We got the corner, attic room at no extra charge (normally£10 per night extra) and it was excellent, with views out of sky windows in 2 different directions, including superb views of river.
The room was large, spotlessly clean and with nice ensuite. Car parking was at a nearby NCP. There is limited parking on site but I did not book it so was directed to the external car park. Cost was £10 per day instead of the usual rate of £17 as they matched the hotel car park fee.
I really enjoyed my stay in York and when I return I will definitely stay in this hotel again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelingjohn123
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Went there for Easter break 2014. The hotel looks considerably new from outside. The inside view of the hotel looks slightly aged but clearly clean. Would be a wonderful view if you stay on the river side wing.

If you are expecting a nice warm welcome from the staffs, please don't. The staffs there are okay: not rude but neither welcoming. I have noted to the hotel when I booked from a site (somewhere else) that I would like to check-in early. There was no response from the hotel at all, so I thought it was alright to do an early check-in. Unfortunately, the staff, when I arrived, just said that the hotel has no such service. The hotel is opened for check-in at 14.30.

The room I had was great in size. I don't think I can find any larger room elsewhere from what I have paid. The room had a very small TV. Would be very hard to lay down on the bed and watch.

I am quite unhappy with the cleanliness of the bathroom. The marble sink has fungus in the corners. The towel shelve is a bit dusty.

I personally do not travel with soap and shampoo, and I regret it. There is soap but no shampoo provided. So make sure you bring yours.

My trip to York would be fulfilled if stayed in a better hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple