“Only let down by a lumpy bed and noisy neighbours”

Premier Inn York City (Blossom St North) Hotel
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in York
saints1fan
“Only let down by a lumpy bed and noisy neighbours”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We chose this hotel for a family visit to York, which was brilliant btw. We arrived early and parked easily in the onsite (£8.50) per day car park. The receptionist was very helpful and friendly and booked us into our room without fuss.

The room was clean and had everything we needed. The hotel is located very close to the town centre and this allowed us to walk everywhere during our stay. It is particularly close to the railway station and the Nation railway museum, which is well worth a visit.

Breakfast is served in the Table Table restaurant a few doors up the street. The choice was fantastic and the fact that the kids eat for free, was one of the reasons we booked PremierInn,

I am slightly reluctant to mention the down sides, but they are pretty crucial. Our bed was awful! I sleep pretty much anywhere, but it was so lumpy I found it hard to sleep. Also we were unlucky and had noisy neighbours above and each side and as a result I got no sleep. I didn't call on their good night sleep guarantee as I always feel slightly embarrassed to do so, but it did spoil an otherwise excellent experience.

Room Tip: I'd ask for top floor to reduce the noise.
2 Thank saints1fan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
blackpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in February, the reception staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Our room was in the Minster building, the room was clean and comfortable, on our first night I had a good nights sleep. Unfortunately on the second night we had someone above us who paced all night and the floorboards above squeaked terribly so I got no sleep. However when I told reception in the morning they immediately camped the room for that night, and when they reassured me the guests above were leaving that day we decided to stay in the same room. They were very nice and efficient and dealt with the problem well.

The breakfast was nice and the restaurant staff helpful.

This hotel is very close to Micklegate and ideal for exploring York.

Room Tip: I would ask for top floor next time, so no one can pace above me
1 Thank BlackpoolCarol
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed two nights and as a budget hotel it was fine, not happy about having to pay for WiFi, and it would be better to eat breakfast out side as the waiting in line for 20mins wasn't the best start to the day.
The staff were very helpfully, and the location is in walking distance of all the attractions York has to offer.

1 Thank Roselyn K
seaham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed 17/2/14 for one night, we had a little trouble finding the place as lendal bridge was closed and the sat nav couldn't help. I phoned the hotel and they were great, they guided us in. Check in great, room was OK, a little tired but not bad for the price. We went out for the day and when we returned the room was cold, the heater wasn't working, I went to reception and they gave me a heater and said someone would come to look. The manager did pop up and said they would send someone but no one came but the heater was fine to be honest. I have to say all the staff were really lovely sand I couldn't complain. We didn't have breakfast in hotel we went over the road to the wetherspoons and had a good breakfast for half the price. Good hotel and location.

1 Thank debbie p
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

The beds were very soft and comfy as usual and the Wi-Fi was very reasonable as well. The food was gorgeous. The shower in the bathroom worked very well and the room was clean as well. I never used the hairdryer so I don't know about that but I do know that there was plenty of tea and coffee facilities in the room. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with my partner at the start of the February half term. The room, check-in experience etc was exactly what you'd expect for a Premier Inn. The room was fine, a little bit frayed around the edges but overall clean and quiet.

We prepaid for breakfast on both days of our stay. On the Sunday morning we had to wait more than 10 minutes to be seated and the buffet was a bit chaotic, but overall fine.

On Monday morning we arrived in the reception to find a queue of more than fifty people waiting to get into the restaurant. There weren't any staff around to explain- just lots of really annoyed people waiting to eat. Whilst we were waiting in the queue there were streams of people leaving the hotel for the day and others trying to checkout. It was chaotic, noisy and not very pleasant.

A member of staff did appear and I left the queue to speak to her. I was told that we could have a refund, but had to go back to another part of the hotel to ask for that to happen. No explanation or apology given. We went back to the other reception (the hotel is split in two) and we were given a refund straightaway.

We did receive an apology in the end, but the whole thing left a sour taste in the mouth after an otherwise good stay. It felt like we'd been swindled and no thought was given to managing number of guests in the hotel. Whilst moaning about breakfast sounds a bit pedantic, the experience was stressful and really unpleasant with lots of agitated guests. Not a situation you want to deal with before coffee!

I stay in Premier Inn's a lot and have never had a bad experience previously, but this really did put me off and whilst I will stay in others again, I won't return to this one in a hurry.

1 Thank bp83
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

we stay in York for a few days every February but normally in the "south" section of this hotel, We got room 1112 and it was the most spacious premier inn room that we have had so we were delighted even though it an older model type bathroom.

The first night was perfect but the morning of the second night a foul smell came into the room at 6.30am and was so overpowering we had to rush out and leave early, because it was so powerful my wife left with wet hair and no make up.(I found it funny but she didn't) I thought the drain from the room above must have leaked only to discover we were the top floor so it must have been next door as no one was in there the 1st night. The receptionist was wonderful as were all the staff in all of our stay our £29 was refunded without a word of wanting it which i found comforting. I would be delighted to stay here again and will book for next February but I'll avoid that room 1112. If it's an new maintenence issue then it is excusable but if its long term then it need repairing properly

Room Tip: every room but 1112
2 Thank john b