“Not as good as I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Warrens

Warrens
Ranked #88 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Leeds
“Not as good as I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

Arrived at 4pm Friday and was routed to the back of hotel for parking, the entrance to the rear is very tight as was the parking space. We were asked to leave our keys in the room incase other guests wanted to use there cars (it really is that tight for space). We stayed in room 12 which is facing the main road and the noise from traffic never seems to stop!
The room was clean and tidy however the toilet flush button was broken but operable with care. The shaver socket and light (above a very small mirror) in the bathroom did not work. The bed was reasonably comfy and linen was spotless but the pillows were like rocks, coupled with the noise from the road it didn't help with a good nights sleep.
Breakfast was no better than ok and the young girls waiting on did there best but service was slow and we had to ask for tea both mornings after waiting 10 minutes or so, bread used for toast was cheap and tasteless.
To summarise our visit the hotel was clean, staff friendly however parking was not ideal and large cars would not get down the back street. Noise from the main road was too much at times and you could not have the window open because of it. Breakfast and service on our visit did not match the enthusiasm other reviews would have you believe. We would not recommend this accommodation based our experience.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wasabi09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

Me and my new wife, stayed in York for our honeymoon,so we stayed at Warrens, It was such a lovely B and B, plenty of parking, we didn't move the car all the time we were there, as it was a 10 min walk or so, from the centre of york, their are convienence stores nearby, and restaurants, if you didnt fancy goin in to town, we highly recommend, YORK SPICE, for a lovely Indian, The rooms were lovely and spacious, the Breakfast was lovely and freshly cooked,and Jenny was so helpful, when we checked in, telling us the best places to go etc, when we come to york again, with our young son this time, we will definatley stay here again,thankyou for a lovely stay, Nathan and laura

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dodgemond
leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

My husband and myself stayed here from Friday 17th to the 19th and had a lovely time.
We also had friends staying too and they also loved this very warm and friendly hotel
Jenny+Richard are so nice and helpfull and The Warrens is very clean+cosy and the breakfast was delicious and well worth getting up for plenty of tea,coffee,eggs+toast etc..
Well placed for walking around "York" they have an honesty bar which was great you just help yourself to drinks and write down what you have brilliant for when we came back from a late night out which we had many!!!!!!
Would also like to recommend "Plonkers" wine bar had 2 great nights there and the food is also good.
So if you stay at "The Warrrens" you will not be dissapointed go on give it a go!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gibson695
Lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

Stayed here for a weekend break in March and loved the the place! Got a very warm welcome from Jenny who was extremely helpful in recommending places to go and went out of her way to print off discount vouchers for us. Room was large, clean and very comfortable. Great breakfasts in the morning, set us up for a days exploring of the city (if you do a ghost walk, try 'The Ghost Detective' - really funny!). The location of the guest house is ideal, just a 5 minute walk from the city walls. Already planning a return trip for later in the year and will definitely be staying at Warrens again!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank magsmay19
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2009

We have just returned from Warrens hotel in York, I have to say that we had a wonderful time we had a spacious bedroom and the great hospitality.

We were given lots of info on the attractions when we checked in and parked the car and did not have to use it again for the three days of our stay, the Museums were about 8 minutes walk and the nearest Restaurants were less.

Breakfast was superb, a mix of Full English Breakfast and fruits, pastries and yoghurts meaning that we did not eat lunch but we did find lots of good restaurants in the City and Meltons restaurant was very good. If you want to go to the theatre I would recommend pre booking as the only seats we could get were not the best, the Cinema in the City is very good and the pubs and bars were great (we did not go to the Night Clubs, queues of teenagers going in).

I would recommend Warrens to anybody wanting to visit York. We loved it and we will be back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Would have been nice to have a bath
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank OldBill43
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

I stayed here last month and found it to be average, but no way near as good as some of these reviews make out. The room I stayed in was rather shabby, with a broken loo seat and a television that did not function adequately. I also found the breakfast rather greasy, not the best. On a more positive note, the owners seemed friendly, the reception room is really nice, and internet was available.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
encinitas, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

We stayed here for a night on our way up to Scotland for New Year's Eve. We were a party of three adults and a two month old (myself, my wife, my mother and our baby)

I had looked into B & Bs and many places were booked but we found a family room at Warren's. The owner quoted me £120 for a night and described a lovely large room with an en-suite bathroom in a "charming" guest house. At that price, I assumed it would be nice and booked it.

The room we had would have been small for a double room and had three beds crammed into it. The "en-suite" was a cupboard-sized damp little room tacked into the corner of the room that was barely small enough to turn around in.

Worst of all, the place was absolutely roasting hot all night so we had to leave our windows open -- hardly ideal for a young baby. In the morning, we were woken at about 6 am by the noisy pipes that kept us awake until the ridiculously early breakfast at 8 am (from 8 am til 9). At breakfast, we each were served a single egg.

Had the room been £80 I would have expected the noise, the heat and the crammed surroundings. At £120, the room is at least £60 overpriced IMHO.

And, when my mother complained to the owner, she was told that the rates were fair, that no-one ever complained and that the service was excellent. It's not. I would have expected this sort of accommodation in the 1960s, not in 2008.

The only good thing about it was that my wife got a bit of a feel for her favourite English TV show, Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank encinitasboy
Yorkies, Owner at Warrens, responded to this review, 17 January 2009
We remember this family very well, To protect their anonymity I shall refer to them as the ‘Gump’ family. I believe that the Governments ‘care in the community’ programme has let these people down badly!

When the gentleman (Forrest) requested a room for one night on a Saturday night in York at a busy time of year, the cost quoted was £120 per night including breakfast, had he chosen to stay two nights the cost would have been significantly less per night. I described the room accurately as a triple bedded family room, I mentioned the flat screen ‘freeview’ TV and the hospitality tray, he asked if there was space for a cot in the room, I said there was and that the room had en-suite shower facilities, that the en-suite was small, but adequate. And that there was a photo on the website, I assumed he checked it as he rang back and booked the room. I clearly remember this gentleman’s manner on the telephone and my conversation with him. He turned down the two room option as he wanted to save some money.

All of our rooms are individually controlled by thermostats it is quite a simple system, if you are too hot you turn it down a bit. If you have a problem with the heating or anything else in the rest of the building tell a member of staff or management and it will be put right promptly.

Breakfast consists of a combination of a self serve cold buffet and a waitress service hot breakfast (see our website for just part of the expansive breakfast menu) You can order whatever combination you like, if you want anything extra just ask, it really is quite a simple system. If they were served just one egg each, it was because that is what they ordered, I regard the team at Warrens to be the best around...unfortunately they are not psychic (perhaps with the exception of Norma)!

The Gump family were due into York at lunchtime but arrived in the evening, stressed and agitated and were not in the best of spirits.

The lady who spoke to me at checkout did complain that the building was too hot, I apologised but did explain that there was a thermostat to control the temperature in the room. She complained that she thought £40 was a lot of money for one nights bed and breakfast accommodation, I said that staying one night on a Saturday in busy season costs more money than other times, and that in York £40 was about the norm; She complained that the City centre was too busy, lots of people in the pubs; She complained that York was like a ‘POLICE STATE’, there are police everywhere; She complained that her family locked them selves OUT of the building; She complained that her family locked themselves IN the car park; And she seemed to have formed the opinion that all these things were in some way my fault or at least the fault of others. She complained that York had changed since her (husband) was at University here many many years ago, I never felt the need to mention that most places change over 20-40 years. Clearly there was not a lot I could do to cheer these people up without the intervention of town planning and the Home Secretary.

Nothing was going to make the Gump family happier than having a good old moan...it sometimes cheers me up too!