“Elegant and Friendly”

Bishops Guest Accomodation
Ranked #7 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have stayed at the Bishops on several occasions for both business and pleasure trips. The building is about a 15 minute walk into the centre of town past some historic parts of York. The accommodation is clean and spacious, set in an old victorian styled building, with lots of charm and authentic properties. The rooms are spotless in there presentation, you can tell they are well looked after and in great order. There is also FREE parking, which being at the centre of York is at it's premium due to parking restrictions in the town. I have stopped in most of the rooms in the hotel now and each one has it's own unique setting, spotlessly clean and well presented in really good decorative order, with on suite facilities - The minute you walk through the door, you are met with a warm welcome. The staff are second to none, you can tell they really care about YOU and are genuinely interested in helping you to have a great stay. The food at breakfast is amazing, all fresh, hand cooked to order, all bought locally, all prepared and served exactly how you request it. This is not the Hilton or the like, with their fake plastic rooms and rubber food, this is true full on 'bed and breakfast' at its best, delivered with passion and a warm welcome from probably the nicest people you will ever meet - Personally my favourite 'staying place' in the UK - As Tina Turner would say "simply the best"

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael C

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Our experience was a unique but it wasn't the end of the world. The b&b is a very nice semi detatched house on a busy road. It was easy to find and the walk to Mickle gate walls is about 15 -20 minutes. It's a dull walk and includes some miserable ugly bridges. The gentleman who met us was very nice and I feel a bit bad writing any negatives but I wish I'd known a few things.

We were two flights up and there is no lift. The landings were nicely decorated and the whole place had a lovely warm feel with lovely leather bound books and things. Shame it wasn't warn though. Our room was a good size but there was hardly ever any heating on (while we were in). There were space heaters, three I think but we didn't put them on and so getting up in the night was FREEZING.

First thing on the first morning we were disturbed by the nice man who showed us in. He wanted us to pack up all our stuff so he could fit a carpet in our room. We obliged but were not offered any good will gestures for the inconvenience. I get the impression they don't like spending money when you think about the heating being off and the way nobody replaced our complimentary hot chocolate or other bathroom bits and bobs.

I booked this for our anniversary and thought that we could have some nice relaxing baths - nope, five stars doesn't include a bath these days apparently and the water pressure in the shower was very low.

Also, I paid £249 for three nights and that didn't include breakfast. No breakfast in a b&b?! Ah well. I was asked if I'd like to pay an extra £60 for three breakfasts. I politely said no and walked away a little shocked and annoyed at the price and cheek.

My wife and I left early each day and got ourselves some mighty fine breakfasts in the town centre for about £6 each day. More selection and I used it as motivation to get out and explore.

I'd like to say I'd come back, and if the price was lower I would. It would be an absolutely lovely place to be at about half the price. I kept walking pastnicer hotels in the town centre and checking their prices. They definitely offered better value for money. Parking may have been more of an issue then though.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Danny H
sirokas, Owner at Bishops Guest Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you felt there were a couple of things you weren't happy with so hopefully I am able to explain these issues.
Firstly York has is one of the most beautiful and historical cities in the UK, we are lucky enough to have a mainline station but this does mean we have a couple of railway bridges one of which is between us and town, its not something I can change and it only takes 30 seconds to walk across it. We also have 3 stunning ancient bridges, Ouse, Lendal and Skeldergate on your journey into different sides of the city and a modern foot cycle bridge, our Millennium Bridge. You are correct, we do have two flights of stairs to the top rooms, both are beautifully wide and not steep, this house was built in early Victorian times and still has many period features; but lift, sorry no. I would suggest to anyone who has any problems with stairs that to make a booking through an online site isn't a good idea, however with a five minute phone call I could have reserved a ground or first floor room for you, I think this is also the problem with the breakfast cost. When this booking was made, the cheapest option was selected, 'Room Only', it means what it says on the tin. It works really well for guests who have come to York for a chilling out time and who don't want to be up too early in the mornings, why pay for something when you are sure you wont have it (when in Yorkshire!). We charge £10pp for our breakfast when booked later, which includes a full selection of unlimited juices (Usually 3 flavours), branded cereals, fruits and yoghurts, unlimited teas and coffees, toasts, traditional breakfast all locally sourced. Or a smoked fish breakfast or continental choice. We have an award for our breakfast produce and choice, and I know it is very good value. The well known hotel chain on the walk into the city charges £8.50 pp, yet its for a different thing.
We were having new carpets fitted in two rooms during your stay, when the fitters arrived they had brought the one for the room you were staying in as well. We did ask just after 10.30 am if you minded us fitting the carpet whilst you were out, we didn't ask you to leave the room early (still 2 other rooms to empty and re lay) and only asked that you put any personal items away. I apologise for not offering you anything by way of compensation, truly we didn't realise that we had inconvenienced you in the slightest, the room was immaculately put back together when you arrived back in the afternoon. Your suggestion is that the teas and coffees weren't replaced during your stay, no answer to that really. We refresh the tray and put clean crockery in the room every day, on one of the mornings I was helping and I did it myself!
The central heating is on from 5.45am, it usually goes off around 10.30 am and back on by 3pm and off at 11.30pm, we don't have the heating on through the night. If the weather is colder we manually forward the timer, we live here as well so are always aware of the situation. If you had expressed whilst you were here that you need heating through the night we would have given you an oil fired radiator for your personal use, as so few people like to sleep with heating on. I hope that my explanations have addressed some of the niggles you have raised.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

A truly lovely and delightful place to stay. We had a superior double room, and despite being on the front of the property, it was quiet and peaceful. The room was large and airy and beautifully decorated in soft muted lavenders and greys and was very warm and cozy. The bed was comfortable and the linen of a very good quality. The bathroom, like the bedroom, was spotlessly clean, and I mean spotless, I checked everything! It was a little on the small size but was useable. The breakfast was delicious and there was plenty of and a great choice, with staff being very friendly and helpful. The lady who owned Bishops checked us in and out and was warm and welcoming and very helpful. We would definitely return for another stay.
Bishops is a good 10 mins walk from the town centre but the bus service was great. There are lots of pubs and restaurants locally if you do not want to go into town and very reasonably priced too!
All in all we had a wonderful few days in York and would love to go back soon. I had one tiny insignificant moan. We could have done with a chest of drawers, the furniture in the room was antique and very nice but not very practical. Although there was a large cupboard with hanging space and shelving, I like drawer space.

Room Tip: Only saw the Tulip Suite, and have no complaints at all.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amazinmrsm
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at Bishop's last weekend with friends. The where in the building and I was in the annexe. I was hugely impressed, it was beautifully decorated, clean, well furnished and well equipped. Lovely comfortable bed and great views. Breakfast was fantastic and the staff could not be faulted. I would highly recommend Bishop's to anyone - the main building and the annexe. It is well situated for a short walk into the main shops and there is parking on the front.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paulaworthy
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and can only give it top marks! Hotel is extremely clean, stayed in room 4 which is a twin. Plenty of room and very nicely decorated. Check in was quick and the girl on reception is a real credit to the hotel. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. Extra touches are the little honesty bar and nice toiletries etc even providing space toothbrushes! I'd stay here anytime and even though it's located slightly further out of York than I usually stay it's actually worth it! Can't think of one thing that they could improve upon... I look forward to staying here again!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joannem001
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our "go to" place for weekends in York; very clean, very comfortable, very handy for city centre, very friendly staff and very good breakfast! Why bother going anywhere else? Looking forward to our next visit already.

Room Tip: Look on line, or ask about the rooms. Pink annex room has a lovely view and is stylish and spacious...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a wonderful stay nothing was too much trouble for the owners and staff alike the breakfast was good I myself didn't have the full breakfast but my husband did and he said it was excellent and plenty of it.
The bedroom was lovely big four poster bed very comfy loads of room a comfy settee to relax on if you wished to do so and the bathroom was lovely as well and was also very clean.
I carnt understand anybody complaining about this guest house would definitely stay there again when visiting York.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple