“Warm, comfortable, friendly, but overpriced.”

Bishops Guest Accomodation
Ranked #14 of 192 York B&B and Inns
cambridgeshire
“Warm, comfortable, friendly, but overpriced.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2007

I have read the reviews, and some seem rather unfair from my experience of staying at The Bishops. Yes the car park is a bit small, but so what. People who do not care if they open their car door onto yours do not stay at The Bishops!

The welcome and all other contact with the staff was enjoyable and extremely helpful. The small individual touches in the rooms (Sunflower Suite) and the rest of the hotel are what makes it feel a little more than a B&B, but I do agree that it is an upmarket B&B and not really a hotel. I would like them to lose the family photos of the children, just that little too much really, but that is a small point.

The room was warm, comfortable and in top hotch condition, felt as clean and neat as my own home, and to us that is very important and I am willing to pay more to get it, yes it is expensive but I feel it is worth it for the comfort you get.

The bathroom fan was loud, but you realise that when you go to the room when you check in, we just did not bother to put it on when we returned later! The bathroom towels, soaps, body lotion (yes Body Shop!) were a really lovely touch as was all the teas (Earl Grey, regular, decaf...) and coffee tray, far exceeded what you usually get in a room. You could pick up a book or video from numerous points throughout the Bishops and you could enjoy the glory of Marco's football career on the top floor, would have preferred if he had played for Arsenal, but you can't have everything! These small things are what made our too short stay so comfortable.

My only small disappointment was the breakfast. The hour long serve between 8 and 9am is completely silly and it really needs to be extended to 10am. The waitress was bright and friendly and Terry Wogan on the radio was nice. The portion were a little small and the bacon over cooked to the point of burnt. However the room is bright and extremely clean, tidy and decorated in a first class manner (better in reality then the photo) There is actually real fruit, which was a nice touch.

All in all I would advise anyone who has standards, but does not like the impersonal touches of the bigger hotels, to book into The Bishops. I will certainly use it again if I go to York. The city centre is 15 minutes away, unless you crawl there then maybe 25 minutes! Well done Debbie and Marco, keep up the good work (and extend breakfast times!) and thanks for a comfortable stay in a beauitful city.

• Liked — Clean, personal touches
  • Disliked — Breakfast times
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2007

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights for my 50th birthday. It was well placed to walk into York (about 15 mins). We stayed in the Venetian suite , which was comfortable,clean and there were many extra touches which made this a lot more than a B&B.The breakfast selection was good , the food was very tasty and well presented, the dining room was also very welcoming. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Comfortable bed !
  • Disliked — Slight traffic noise
  • Stayed January 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2006

I have just returned from a four night stay at Bishops. The accommodation was clean and the breakfasts were excellent. The hotel is a thirty minute walk from the town centre although it is reasonably near to the station. Like others who have reviewed this guesthouse I agree that the prices are too high for what is essentally a good B and B.

• Liked — Breakfast and room
  • Disliked — Long walk to the town centre and high prices
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Little Jenny
Hove
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2006

Booked the sunflower room and the railway room (single) at Bishops for 2 days in half term. Greeted by a very warm and welcoming receptionist who gave us a great deal of information to the locality, brought fresh milk for tea etc. The Sunflower room was OK but a bit tired, no canopy over the bed as shown on their website. Single room fine apart from TV perched so high it was difficult to watch from bed. Breakfast was fine, good fresh cooked hot breakfast. Location was good for Rail Museum and a 15 minute walk from town. Found no problems with parking. In all a Good B & B establishment which charges too much for rooms.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jim B
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2006

Stayed here in September 2006 and found this more of a B&B then hotel. It was a good stay nice room, quiet and the service was good. The only thing that I found negative was the price was high for what you got and I was not informed until checkout that they charge a service fee of 5% for credit cards. The Hotel it self was good, clean and breakfast was great. I would recommend but do think they need to look at the service fee and price for the room as it is very high for a B&B.

• Stayed September 2006
1 Thank tmac30
Romsey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2006

Stayed here on a short vacation break recently, occupying the Venetian Suite.

We have to admit to real surprise that Bishops Hotel can really be #1 in the Tripadvisor list for York. The rest would have to be pretty poor in our opinion.

As others have commented, Bishops is really a Bed and Breakfast establishment - "Hotel" is not the right description. It is run on a shoestring, with staff only present at very restricted times of the day - don't expect to check in between 4:00 and 6:00pm, for example.

Bishops is situated on a busy road and so the front facing rooms like ours suffer from traffic noise. "Suite" is an over-grand name for our room - it was simply a large-ish room with ensuite bath. The ensuite had one of the noisiest extractor fans I have ever heard.

The bed was a pleasant 4 poster, but otherwise there was nothing special about it. The room was poorly organised - there is a kettle for teamaking, but no convenient place to plug it in, for example.

Breakfast was good with tranditional full English available, if served at very limited times - 08:00 till 09:00 only. There is no dinner available - part of the "fancy B&B" theme - and there are no good restaurants nearby. Plenty in central York, of course, but quite a way to travel every evening.

The place also has a nice garden, but this is strangely off-limits to hotel guests. There is no bar at the hotel, but there is a limited array of drinks available in the small lounge, paid for by means of an "honesty box" (part of the "run on a shoestring" theme).

There is parking at the hotel, but it is limited and cramped - we got blocked in more than once.

The hotel location is a good 15 minute walk from the center of York in the south west of the city - there are regular buses from a stop just across the road. Using a car in central York is not advisable - parking is limited and expensive and much of the center is pedestrianised.

We paid £100 and £110 per night during our stay - the higher figure for weekend nights. On the expensive side for what we got. We can compare Bishops in York with the #1 rated hotel in Cambridge - the Cambridge Lodge. The Cambridge Lodge costs less than Bishops - and is a real hotel with an excellent restaurant open for dinner, a bar and a beautiful garden that you can sit out in. The Cambridge Lodge knocks the spots off Bishops - we really find it very hard to believe that Bishops can be #1 in York.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Noisy fan in the bathroon
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Inglenook
Sunderland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2006

I have stayed in many hotels in York over the past decade, for both work and business. This time I decided to give Tripadvisor a try and the Bishops came out as the number one. I'd driven past it dozens of times over the years but had never stayed there, partly because it's a little too far out of the city centre for my liking. However I did know that it was owned and run by former star footballer Marco Gabbiadini - who was a particular favourite during his goal-happy stint at Sunderland, the club I support. So I decided to give it a try. The price quoted for a double room (£90) seemed a touch steep, but reading the glowing reports on Tripadvisor made it sound potentially good value.

The first problem was that we arrived early, having come from a race meeting about 20 miles away that was abandoned due to heavy rain. I'd said that we'd be arriving around 7pm, but instead we would now be getting to York for about 4.45. I tried calling the hotel to ask if we could check in "early" but despite repeated calls I got no further than a recorded message asking me to hold the line.

Arriving at the hotel, I managed to park in a marked bay that was a little too narrow for comfort: the car park isn't a large one by any means. I then read a sign near the door saying that they didn't take arrivals between 4pm and 6pm. It seems the hotel is only manned during certain times - there's a system in place for dealing with people who want to arrive outside these times, but we couldn't make use of it so had to sit in a nearby put for an hour until 6pm rolled around.

At 6pm we returned to the hotel. This is a handsome, semi-detached old building with much external character - I'd guess it's at least 130 years old. The reception area is small but well-kept. We were promptly and smoothly checked in by a pleasant young woman from eastern Europe. She showed us down to the "Garden Suite" and asked if we'd like a jug of fresh milk for our tea (a nice touch). This "suite" isn't a suite at all: it's a small room with ensuite bathroom (shower, no tub) and small cupboard/wardrobe. There's a smallish plasma-screen TV mounted on one wall. Facilities were no different from what you'd expect from a decent b+b with a couple of 'boutique' touches such as a fancy counterpane on the bed (unneccesary in the warmish early September weather), a couple of fancy big cushions on top of the counterpane, and a CD player complete with a selection of CDs (George Michael, Simply Red, etc: not quite my taste.) Items in the cupboard included a hairdryer, an electric fan, and also a steam iron (from the cut-price 'Tesco Value' range and still in its original box).

Though the carpet on the stairs leading down to it looked a bit grubby, and some of the paint on the walls at the bottom of the stairs could do with a touch up, the room was clean and comfortable, with what I'd call a smallish double bed taking up most of the available space. It was quite warm and I noticed that the radiator was slightly turned on. I turned it off and settled down for a nap. Almost immediately the radiator started ticking like a loud clock. The ticking ceased when the radiator was turned on, but it was too hot to do so. I managed to stop the ticking by rolling up one of the bathroom towels and stuffing it down the back.

Soon after we headed into town. The darkening skies made walking an unappealing prospect. There's a bus stop about three minutes' walk from the hotel, where we waited around 15 minutes for a bus which cost £1, was notably crowded, and took about 7 minutes to get to the heart of the city centre. Of course, none of these details are the fault of the Bishops, but they don't arise if you stay in a hotel nearer to the centre of things (I'd estimate the Bishops is a 20 minute walk to the Minster).

After our evening out we returned to the room, which was again a little too warm. I opened the window and settled down to sleep. Around midnight a fan just outside the bedroom window started up, and the radiator commenced ticking again. Another towel jammed down the back solved the latter problem, but I couldn't do anything about the external fan apart from closing the window. At this point I regretted that I'd forgotten to bring any earplugs - my partner's snoring also didn't help matters. The external fan switched off after perhaps 30 minutes rumbling, only to start again at around 4am. Early in the morning we also had to contend with significant noise from gurgling pipes, and also from the fact that the hotel kitchen is located directly above the garden suite.

Breakfast is served from 8am to 9am. I consider this to be an unacceptably narrow "window" for an establishment charging such prices, and 9am is simply too early to stop serving breakfast on a weekend in a city like York, where many visitors will have been taking advantage of the area's nightlife the previous evening and may want to slumber a little later than 8.30am.

Breakfast itself was acceptable if unremarkable - the main problem being a lack of bananas. The room was busy (as you'd expect with such a narrow serving window), the hubbub competing with a quite uneccessary radio (tuned to Radio 2) located on the floor under the buffet bar, adding (along with the plastic-sheeted menus) to the general "B+B/guesthouse" vibe in an establishment which clearly has rather loftier aspirations.

On checking out (duties handled by Mr Gabbiadini himself) I reported the ticking radiator, and this complaint was listened to sympathetically. I was charged £80 for the room instead of £90, but this was not a result of my complaint: I mentioned the radiator after paying the bill. I did this in cash as the hotel levies a 5% charge on payment by credit card: not unheard of, but disappointing in an establishment which charges such (relatively) high prices and clearly fancies itself as a kind of 'boutique B+B'. It was only when I was in the car park and about to drive home that I realise Mr Gabbiadini had omitted to give me a bill. The forgetfulness wasn't entirely his own, however, as I realised when I got back to Sunderland that I'd taken the key with me (though one could argue that the person checking the guests out should remember to ask for the key).

All in all, I'd say the Bishops isn't really a 'hotel' as such, more a B+B/guesthouse with ideas above its station - which is presumably why it feels able to charge what I'd call excessive prices. When they are around the staff are unobtrusively pleasant, likewise Mr and Mrs Gabbiadini. But having read such ecstatic reports about the Bishops on Tripadvisor, I was very much disappointed by what I'd received. There are many other places in York which are (a) nearer the centre, (b) better value or (c) both, and I'm afraid until they lower their prices to proper b+b rates or raise their standards to proper 'boutique' levels, I won't be staying at the Bishops again. From my experience, there's no way at all that the Bishops should be ranked so high on this website.

Stayed August 2006