“Hen party”

Clifton Bridge Guesthouse
Ranked #135 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for my hen party for two nights with 8 more people. The rooms were lovely and clean and very comfy beds. Breakfast was good. Very good staff would definetly stay here again. The owner took us into York to the dungeons which was lovely of him.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra W

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We came here for my daughters Hen Party,there were 9 of us,they gave us room 4 down stairs and another room for 2 others,Room 4 was great 6 single beds and 1 double,all clean and comfy beds,we only had one shower but we managed,we had tea/coffee hair dryer, large tv and with having ground fllor room we had use of the garden table and chairs right outside,Breakfast was ok plenty of choices,staff were good,the owners nephew drove us into York city centre and made 3 trips which was very good of him.Location was good too as we walked from the B/B along the River Ouse right into the city ,about 20 minutes. Would stay here again .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This must be the guesthouse with the world’s most incompetent management. I turned up at about 4pm to enquire about the possibility of taking a single room. The owner advised me that he had no single rooms, but I could stay in a twin room for which he would charge me £74, but was willing to lower the price on my initiative to £65. So far, so good. However, he then started to check payment receipts from other guests against his computer records, made a telephone call to (presumably) his wife and seemed totally clueless about what he was doing. This process took absolutely ages. Then, he took the £65 from my card, showed me the room, gave me the key and off I went back to York for further exploring believing that I had a bed for the night and needn'tworry anymore about accommodation fro the night. I returned at about 8:30pm. On my return, he approached me to tell me he had given the room to someone else and had returned the £65 to my card. He said he had arranged for me to stay at another guesthouse in town. In fact, he had arranged nothing and even refused to call them to see if they had a room available saying that they were foreigners and he couldn’t speak to them. So, I called using his phone, but there was no single room available. I said I would be heading towards Harrogate the next day and he told me I would find loads of B&Bs etc at the roadside on my way. In fact, there were none at all. He was just lying to get rid of me. On top of this, all accommodation in Harrogate was full. I ended up getting a room at Ibis Budget (ex-Etap) hotel in Bradford for £38. I would have been going that way the next day in any case. So, it wasn’t really out of the way. However, it was 10pm by the time I checked into this hotel. I can now see why Clifton Bridge Guesthouse has so many bad reviews. It is a shame since the rooms seem ok.

Room Tip: Check, double check and triple check whether you really have a room or not. This owner will chuck yo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Eurasiatraveller2014
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We were apprehensive about our stay at the establishment after reading the reviews but with everywhere else fully booked we decided to take a chance, we were a party of 3 couples. When we arrived we found that the previous occupants had left with the key to the room, as the family room was not booked we were given this at no extra cost, this was very spacious for just the 2 of us. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The proprietor and staff were welcoming and very helpful. Breakfast had everything you needed, a choice of fruit juices, cereals and fresh fruit, we opted for full English which was well cooked and very tasty. The location was great, just a 18 minute walk to the centre. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Val K
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed for one night and chose this hotel due to price, location and it had breakfast included. We didn't want to stay in the walls as we wanted some exercise so chose this one due to it being 15-20 minutes walk away from the centre. It was a straight road and was easy to get back into the centre.
We checked in and were greeted by the lovely staff who showed us our room. The room was fine for us - we had a twin with ensuite. The bathroom looked like it had recently been updated although the shower didn't have any pressure. The bath was a nice addition and useful as the pressure was not good for the shower.
The beds were comfortable and the room, although on a main road wasn't too noisy.
Breakfast was good, served quickly and there was a lovely choice of continental and hot things to eat.
Overall we were happy and will return when we visit York again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Purplepasta55
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked this place for my family to stay for christmas as we want to spend time in york. The ownder Arthur demanded payment in advance in a very rude manner. When we told him that we will pay him when we come back from town as we need to contact the bank since we came a long way. He started shouting at us said we want everything for free altbough we paid the deposit for 3 nights already just the remainings will be paid when we come back from town. He banged on the door called us name. We were so scared as my mother was almost 80 and our nephew was very young about 10. He kepts shouting and tried throw us out. I was scared for our safety that I had to call the police. When we left we asked for the refund as we have paid in advance 3 nights he refused to give it to us and even the police was there he was still incredibly rude. We lost out deposit and my god this man is totally out of order. Acter reading so many reviews we werent the only one who were treated that way. Please please please stay away from this place and it terrible owner, Arthur. He has a disgusting attitude and shouldn't be allowed to treat people like that.

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank anonymous120734
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We've stayed at many B &B's throughout our 27 years of marriage but we can honestly say we've never been treated so badly as by the person at the Clifton Bridge guest house. As we knew we would be unable to check in between 2 & 5 pm I rang them to specially ask if it would be ok to arrive at about 7 o'clock as my husband works on Saturdays. When we arrived there the place was locked up & there was only an answer phone message when we rang their number. To add insult to injury apparently the proprietor rang my daughter & was extremely rude & unreasonable, saying our booking was cancelled as we'd turned up late!! We had booked to see a show at the Barbican so couldn't look for an alternative until after 10 pm but thankfully the 53 Hotel had one vacancy left. How this man stays in business is beyond us - I would not recommend anyone to go near this establishment!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple